Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Cilic US Open 2014

Votes: 8 42.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people might automatically pick Marin Cilic because he won the whole thing, barely breaking a sweat, while Wawrinka 2013, lost to Djokovic R4... but I feel there might be an argument in favoring Wawrinka's 2013 AO slam level.

Wawrinka had to go against a pretty good version on Novak and Wawrinka was playing arguably better than any other point in his life. Cilic played against an ok Federer and tired Nishikori, but is that enough to justify MTF not picking Cilic in 2014 god mode?

What do you think?

·
justice for all
18,910 Posts
I think it's Stan and Cilic's 2014 level is a bit overrated. Like you said he played an "OK" or I'd say an "average" version of Fed and a very fatigued version of Nishikori.
While Stan replicated his "Stanimal" mode more than just once but in a few slams he played and won apart from AO 2013.
Interestingly in that period of 2014 - 2015 they met 4 times and Stan won all 4 matches including in Cincinnati 2014 (tournament preceding USO 2014) where he beat Marin 3-6, 6-0, 6-1 (!).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Federer was down vs Cilic

He joined finals to Toronto and Cinci with matches very hard, so vs Cilic ..

And to NY, he plays 5 sets vs Monfils after a 0-2s

Nishi idem, 5 sets vs Raonic (4h19), 5 vs Stan (4h15) et 4 vs Djoko (2h52).

Well, Cilic was very hot, mais for me, Stan peak is higher

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I remember I was so mad after Novak lost to Kei in the 1st semi, thinking Federer had this slam in his bag. Then Marin came out, peaked and destroyed Fed in straight sets. I was sooo impressed with his level in that match.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Wawrinka >>>

Muglic feasted on clearly out of shape Fed. USO 2014 is rare, maybe the only slam for a while where none from the Big 3 was at their usual level. Therefore we happened to had that laughable final, and Muglic happened to fluke his way to the title.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I always thought the Federer-Cilic match could have been a real cracker if Federer had brought his best, which he clearly didn't. Cilic, impressive as his level may have been, looked more unbeatable than he was also against a tired Nishikori in the final, but neverthelss deserved to win that slam for sure.

Meanwhile, Wawrinka played out of his mind for parts of that match and stayed with Djokovic all the way through once the latter had found his best. The only thing that could be said against this one is that Stan wasn't 100% up there mentally yet, as evidenced particularly but not only by that collapse in the second set.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Wawrinka >>>

Muglic feasted on clearly out of shape Fed. USO 2014 is rare, maybe the only slam for a while where none from the Big 3 was at their usual level. Therefore we happened to had that laughable final, and Muglic happened to fluke his way to the title.
Well, i think that you are biased here, as the Cilic USO 2014 (fine tuned by Simon) who destroyed Berdych, Federer and in form Nishikori was nothing like Muglic, let alone Muglic 2.0 of last couple of years.

If you want an element of comparison (to take away bias) look how Wawrinka struggled past Berdych at the 2014 AO, which was basically 50/50 match.

·
Registered
22,664 Posts
Pick ems.

You should have used 2015 FO Stan though.

Also destroyed Fed in 3

Reactions: Chicot

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
15,403 Posts
"Insert drugs related opinion that would get me in trouble"

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Cilic's lvl overrated.Yes,he trashed Rogie but...Idk,it just feels that way.
So it's Stan obv

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe FO 15 Stan was much better than AO 14 Stan. He thrashed Fed in 3 sets. He beat the best version of Djokovic on clay in the final. And his level in the last 2 sets were unreal. Like he was painting lines at will. And the highest OHBH level seen in a slam match.
Pick ems.

You should have used 2015 FO Stan though.

Also destroyed Fed in 3

Hmm good point. Feel free to create another thread..

·
Premium Member
26,391 Posts
I believe FO 15 Stan was much better than AO 14 Stan. He thrashed Fed in 3 sets. He beat the best version of Djokovic on clay in the final.
No, no and no!

That was his level vs Nadal in the quarters or vs. Murray in the final next year, but not in 2015 semi and final.

·
Premium Member
26,391 Posts
To answer the question, for me also Cilic. He was that level unplayable that even Djokovic could have lost if he played that match instead of Federer, even in his 2015 version.
Cilic obviously played the match of his life: just everything succeeded what he planned and executed.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Wawrinka >>>

This is probs the first time I agree with you haha 😂. Definitely a given Wawrinka’s peak is higher than Cilic’s. Cilic isn’t capable of displaying a level that we saw from Wawrinka in the 2015 French Open final.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
No, no and no!

That was his level vs Nadal in the quarters or vs. Murray in the final next year, but not in 2015 semi and final.
Djokovic wasn’t his very best against Wawrinka but he was still solid, Wawrinka just took the match right out of his hands.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
I believe FO 15 Stan was much better than AO 14 Stan. He thrashed Fed in 3 sets. He beat the best version of Djokovic on clay in the final. And his level in the last 2 sets were unreal. Like he was painting lines at will. And the highest OHBH level seen in a slam match.
His backhand was just insane. Hitting winners from around the net post and from like 10 feet off the court. I’ve never seen someone’s backhand just blow people off the court like that.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I haven't seen the Cilic-Federer game. I also only watched one of Cilic's matches in that US Open (the final). While it was very good, I wasn't blown away it. And looking at Cilic's results in that tournament, they don't seem that impressive on paper (Simon took him to 5 sets).

So based on this limited information, my guess is Wawrinka AO 2013, but maybe I'd change my mind if I see that Federer match...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts