Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Lol @ Thiem being mentally strongest with his embarrassing 2 wins out of 9 big finals statistic.
Just imagine Novak lost 5 of his last 7 matches against the guy you single out as a mentally weak player. That must mean Thiem's level of tennis really is significantly higher than Novak's given the relative mental strength of each.

Ouch.

·
King Of Tennis
3,239 Posts
Just imagine Novak lost 5 of his last 7 matches against the guy you single out as a mentally weak player. That must mean Thiem's level of tennis really is significantly higher than Novak's given the relative mental strength of each.

Ouch.
Thiem's definitely good at peaking for the earlier rounds and then flopping in the finals when it matters most. The fact he's beaten King five times (and lost seven mind you, including their biggest match in a slam final) yet won a grand total of zero of those tournaments further backs that up. Ouch indeed. The big boys bring their best tennis to the big finals and bring home the trophy. If Thiem continues to improve this weakness he can definitely aim for a Murray career trajectory though, who won 3 slams and lost 8 finals.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Rafa of course.

The guy who has won the most slams among the top ten off his favoured surface (s) is naturally the strongest mentally. I am sure his ability to save breakpoints inspite of having an average serve is second to none. How many times has he come close to beating Fedovic at slams where he has been outmatched? Three (WB 07, AO '12, AO '17). And when the surface suits him, he is a bulldozer.

·
Registered
59,338 Posts
Djokovic in terms of most clutch, Nadal in terms of not giving up. Medvedev is up there too.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Thiem's definitely good at peaking for the earlier rounds and then flopping in the finals when it matters most. The fact he's beaten King five times (and lost seven mind you, including their biggest match in a slam final) yet won a grand total of zero of those tournaments further backs that up. Ouch indeed. The big boys bring their best tennis to the big finals and bring home the trophy. If Thiem continues to improve this weakness he can definitely aim for a Murray career trajectory though, who won 3 slams and lost 8 finals.

All I see here is a lot of excuses and straight-up coping mechanisms. Fact: Novak lost 5 of his last 7 matches (almost 6 of his last 7) to a guy you call mentally weak.

So Thiem, who has twice knocked Novak out of the WTF and twice knocked Novak out of a slam at RG is 'mentally weak'

Good to know; it means Thiem's base level of play is simply significantly above Novak's since he's beating Novak most of the time whether that's in the slams, the WTF or otherwise.

Ouch!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Now that the talk is about Djokovic / Thiem - you guys remember the 2017 FO match?

“All in all, it was decided I think in the first set,” said Djokovic.

What the hell was that. Never ever seen such a poor effort from Djokovic during GS tournament.

Thats not to say Djokovic is mentally weak - quite the opposite. Truly one-off.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
They are all mentally strong. Probably still Novak and Rafa on top in that category. But their grip is getting weaker cause the older players get the more they realise every opportunity for the biggest title may be one of their last ones. But I think they are still the champions to beat mentality wise until proven wrong.

·
King Of Tennis
3,239 Posts
All I see here is a lot of excuses and straight-up coping mechanisms. Fact: Novak lost 5 of his last 7 matches (almost 6 of his last 7) to a guy you call mentally weak.

So Thiem, who has twice knocked Novak out of the WTF and twice knocked Novak out of a slam at RG is 'mentally weak'

Good to know; it means his base level of play is simply significantly above Novak's since he's beating Novak most of the time whether that's in the slams, the WTF or otherwise.

Ouch!
I know you're a closet King fan but Thiem's 2 wins out of 9 big finals statistic isn't even solely about him, despite Thiem losing that AO final which brought King's slam total to 17 while Thiem was still at 0 (then improved to 1 later in the year). Thiem's also won 3 of his last 4 matches against Nadal, but who cares? He's still 0 wins and 3 losses in big finals against him. Thiem has winning H2Hs against Medvedev and Tsitsipas but lost the big one in the London decider in back-to-back years. So it's not even a trend for Thiem just against the big three. Yes, he can have some good wins in early rounds of tournaments. I said he's mentally weak in big finals and produces his best tennis in non-finals. Even the 2020 US Open final his level was significantly lower than the rest of the tournament. Let's see if he can improve this and play well and win his next big final. 3 wins out of 10 big finals would be slightly less embarrassing, I guess.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts