Mens Tennis Forums banner

So, which other QF's would have beaten Nadal at RG 2015?

• Stan Wawrinka

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Andy Murray

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Kei Nishikori

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • David Ferrer

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Roger Federer

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Jo Willy Tsonga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of them would have in his current form

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • None of them, Djokovic was the only current active player who could

Votes: 9 18.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a lot of talk after 2013 that the SF was the final, and no doubt had Novak won today the same talk would have gone on about the QF, though this year I think others could have beaten Nadal had Djokovic fallen over.

I don't think Tsonga could have done it, Ferrer is very unlikely, I think Kei is too inconsistant and mentally weak, Federer has the game but just too mentally weak at this point, but I reckon all the other Quarterfinalists would have beaten Nadal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
All the other Quarterfinalists and you exclude everyone excepts Stan and Murray.
I think all of them with the exception of Fed had a good chance. Maybe Nishikori wouldn't have folded like he did in the first two sets against Tsonga. Who knows?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If he played as badly as he did against Novak all of them except maybe Federer and Ferrer due to mental issues rather than form.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Murray and Stan on their current form would have destroyed Rafa in 3 or 4 sets.

Maybe Tsonga as well.

·
|
15,360 Posts
Djokovic would not have beaten Nadal if Nadal won that 1st set (and it was close, 5-5).
So you can't be sure about any of the other guys winning.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
JoWilly(the poster) will beat Nadal if he gets a chance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nadal is pretty much a worthless player right now. I would say all of them except for OBVIOUSLY Federer and probably Ferrer. Federer beating Nadal at RG would never happen at this point even if Nadal showed up in a wheelchair. The mental scars are too deep. Ferrer kind of sucks and is going downhill now too, and is Nadal's pigeon on clay anyway, so he too would lose. Anyone else decent beats Nadal, including some you dont have on the poll too.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
There was a lot of talk after 2013 that the SF was the final, and no doubt had Novak won today the same talk would have gone on about the QF, though this year I think others could have beaten Nadal had Djokovic fallen over.

I don't think Tsonga could have done it, Ferrer is very unlikely, I think Kei is too inconsistant and mentally weak, Federer has the game but just too mentally weak at this point, but I reckon all the other Quarterfinalists would have beaten Nadal.
Federer was nearly blown off the court by Stan. Novak took a set and lost 3 other hard fought sets. Nadal at 70%, not saying that is where he is right now, would have defeated any of the other players mentioned. Only Novak or Murray could have, IMHO. As it turned out, NOONE WAS BEATING STAN THIS FO.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Nadal is pretty much a worthless player right now. I would say all of them except for OBVIOUSLY Federer and probably Ferrer. Federer beating Nadal at RG would never happen at this point even if Nadal showed up in a wheelchair. The mental scars are too deep. Ferrer kind of sucks and is going downhill now too, and is Nadal's pigeon on clay anyway, so he too would lose. Anyone else decent beats Nadal, including some you dont have on the poll too.
this.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,438 Posts
Andy and Wawrinka would haver, comfortably. All of the others could have too, that's how bad Nadal was in this tournament.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Federer was nearly blown off the court by Stan. Novak took a set and lost 3 other hard fought sets. Nadal at 70%, not saying that is where he is right now, would have defeated any of the other players mentioned. Only Novak or Murray could have, IMHO. As it turned out, NOONE WAS BEATING STAN THIS FO.
Thanks to an umpiring error...

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Nadal was in dire form, really..I mean Sock swung for bit and got himself a set and place in Nadal's head who seized mentally and lost confidence in his shots. So, Murray and especially Wawa would have hammered him. Tsonga might have served him out of court..Rafa would have probably won vs Ferrer and Federer, but not without ugly patches of his recent inconsistent play..

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Federer and Ferrer would certainly lose.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Have to go against the mainstream here: only Murray and Wawrinka.
All other players are either not mentally strong or have a weak clay game or the "lethal" matchup (Federer).

Nadal even in his declined state would have routined the other "top" clay players (also others not mentioned here from Top20).

·
Registered
21,934 Posts
Wawrinka, Murray and maybe Nishikori.

·
Registered
59,365 Posts
Ferrer and Nishikori would be 50-50, Federer and Tsonga maybe a little worse. Murray and Wawrinka for sure.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
Wawrinka and that's it, probably. He's actually decent on clay and has the firepower to blow Nadal off the court (a la Soderling)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts