Mens Tennis Forums banner

Are you hyped for a Rafa-Nole final in Rome?

• Don't like Rafa - don't wanna see him make it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my own favorite Thiem not playing, I'm really looking forward to a Nole-Rafa final. More often than not, I am rooting for the underdogs against the old big-three guard (including Federer), but this time I am making an exception. None of the other players in the field are serious contenders for the Rome title anyway, not to mention the RG crown later on, and it would only be fitting to see Nole and Rafa fight it out.

Sure, it has been nice to see Musetti and Sinner make some progress here (although a bit sad that Wawrinka and Tsitsipas were below par), but these two Italians are young and their chances will come. As of now, it is time for the big champions to play it out for the lead in the Master's race. Do you agree? Please vote in the poll and/or comment on your preferred final.

·
justice for all
16,249 Posts
Ideally I would like to see Shapovalov vs Musetti. But that ain't happening I know. ;)

I am actually OK with Djokovic vs Nadal final too. Judging by the level of play so far they'd be the two worthy finalists.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not a fan of Nadal or Djokovic, but I would like to see Nadal rout Djokovic in the final 6-1 6-0. Looking at the draw, there's no way Nadal isn't making the final. Ideally Musetti bumps out Djokovic in dramatic fashion and Musetti or even Cilic (ha, I know, no chance but a girl can dream) makes the final. Would be interesting to see how Musetti handled playing Nadal on clay in his first ATP tournament. If I could have any final I wanted I might go with Musetti vs Shapo but really there's no possible matchup with the current draw that really excites me. Something about this tournament just lacks excitement and it's hard for me to be that invested, especially with Tsitspas out and Thiem absent.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Ruud in a clay MS1000 F would also be nice

·
Registered
780 Posts
While I loathe some of the Djokotards here (who are obviously trolls), I have great respect for Novak as a player. I would like to see Rafa vs Nole in the finals and would clearly prefer a Rafa victory, but may the best man win!

Reactions: Henrik

·
Your visions will happen
49,306 Posts
Rafole clearly. I'm a fan of tennis first, Nadal second. So yes I'd like a Rafole final, with a well played battle between two all time greats

But let's focus on Krajinovic and Lajovic first

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
With Sinner out, Ideally I would like a final between Musetti and Schwartzman (Ruud on the top, and Shapovalov or Humbert on the bottom part would be fine too), but of course it is not going to happen and we will get another final between Nole and Rafa.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Agree, after the US Open I crave for a high-quality match (couldn't watch Thiem-Medvedev). It's not a fresh match up, but should be very competitive on clay. And it's been a long-ish time since the last one in ATP cup.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The king of clay vs Nadal for sure.

Got to reverse that asterisk result of last year.
Stupidity At Its Peak Troll

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Krajinovic vs. Lajovic

Reactions: Haneul

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Why are there a gazillion options all about Rafa and Nole, lol

Djokodal final is obviously the expected outcome, and wouldn't mind watching that.

The dream though would be Berrettini or Musetti winning this (against Rafa for maximum prestige, although Shapo or Schwartzman making the final would be cool). Extremely unlikely but still..

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I would want both in the final or both out before the final. Djokovic/Nadal would be very interesting in the only clay warmup for both guys on the surface that plays like RG the most. It would also break the Masters dead lock, which isn’t a massive record or anything, but still adds something.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
LOL. This is CLAY not some artificial hard surface, no? The draw doesn't matter to RAFA, nor the opponent in the Final..

Classy Clay warrior to win Rome without dropping a set and will deliver stinging bakery products along the way. 👊(y)

Next up is the diminutive Argentine who can become a skunked turkey (0-10) if he loses.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Obviously Djokodal. These guys produced many epics on clay. It's not only a physical war but also mental. Even last year (when Nadal bagelled subpar Djoko in the 1st) the match still had a deciding set. Their meeting in Rome is likely given that Djoko reached 9 finals and Nadal 11 finals here. They met 8 times in Rome, including 5 finals. This must be a record. is there a big tournament with more (final) meetings beetween given two players? It looks like Rome is the epitome of their rivalry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts