Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who do you think has the worst forehand technique in the top 20?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
People are getting the question confused.. it's worst technique. Has to be ARod.. not discussing effectiveness exactly.. but that's another discussion entirely.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Gasquets technique on his forehand. Looks pretty sound most of the time if I'm honest *shrug*

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Gasquets technique on his forehand. Looks pretty sound most of the time if I'm honest *shrug*
Actually if you look at Gasquet´s forehand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk_eCLU_qnU

( I don´t know how to attach a youtube-clip, sorry )

His elbow is in a slightly weird position when he takes the racquet back. This results in his forehand being a little "hook-like", instead of a flowing swing. One other thing that caught my attention was that he uses a lot of wrist at the impact. This is not necessarily bad, but he snaps the wrist slightly away from the ball, almost to the side. Therefore the wrist-action doesn´t generate as much topspin or power as it could if it was executed properly.

Also, his weight is slightly back in a lot of the shots. These are just my opinions, feel free to disagree! I I´m a fan of Richie, so I´m not trying to bash him, either!

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
I'd agree with this. Murray's FH has good technique. The weakness is in how he uses it.

Monfils got a similar issue in how he uses it but with a weirder looking technique than Murray. But when he unleashes his FH's potential the results speak for themselves.

Ferrer got one of the most consistent and technically sound FHs in the top20. Don't see what flaw there is to his FH?
It's the same with his serve. His serve has a very good technique, but he uses it badly sometimes.

People are obviously voting for Murray based purely on the fact that he doesn't hit it with super power half the time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
It's the same with his serve. His serve has a very good technique, but he uses it badly sometimes.

People are obviously voting for Murray based purely on the fact that he doesn't hit it with super power half the time :rolleyes:
sorry, but to me this looks like the same old bs all over again: aint nothing wrong with his game, hes just stupid.

basically.

this construction has roots in the same worship-garbage b. press often serves prior to big tournaments, spinning his chances like its there he just has to grab it, its aaaaaaall there just a matter of few tweaks. and all in the mental department, naturally, cause everything else is fine.

and its bad for murray, Ill tell you. cause it appears - and this is a stretch - that the same bs we read online, and the same bs we read on here, looks to be the same bs those rubber people feed poor ol andy: 'aint nothing wrong, you're just using it badly'.

it'll end badly yet again unless he starts listening the truth and starts improving. start with the forehand and the serve.

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
I don't like Roddick's

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
i will exclude gasquet from this poll because the technique on that side is unorthodox, it's not necessarily weak.......open stance, transferring weight on to the back leg and rolling forehands.......that forehand is weak for sure against certain players but technically it's not that weak and also he brings his wrist into play which is a plus.......

out of the orthodox techniques that remain in the poll, definitely murray because his wrist movement is awful which makes his forehand sometimes just a cold rigid swing of the arm, particularly when under pressure......just watch him take his racket back for the swing, it's the whole arm that goes back at once.......for other players, it's the wrist movement followed by the arm.......that's why even the percentages are less for murray, he can't impart much spin with such motion.......

roddick's is not that great either but definitely better than murray's.......

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
sorry, but to me this looks like the same old bs all over again: aint nothing wrong with his game, hes just stupid.

basically.

this construction has roots in the same worship-garbage b. press often serves prior to big tournaments, spinning his chances like its there he just has to grab it, its aaaaaaall there just a matter of few tweaks. and all in the mental department, naturally, cause everything else is fine.

and its bad for murray, Ill tell you. cause it appears - and this is a stretch - that the same bs we read online, and the same bs we read on here, looks to be the same bs those rubber people feed poor ol andy: 'aint nothing wrong, you're just using it badly'.

it'll end badly yet again unless he starts listening the truth and starts improving. start with the forehand and the serve.
i will exclude gasquet from this poll because the technique on that side is unorthodox, it's not necessarily weak.......open stance, transferring weight on to the back leg and rolling forehands.......that forehand is weak for sure against certain players but technically it's not that weak and also he brings his wrist into play which is a plus.......

out of the orthodox techniques that remain in the poll, definitely murray because his wrist movement is awful which makes his forehand sometimes just a cold rigid swing of the arm, particularly when under pressure......just watch him take his racket back for the swing, it's the whole arm that goes back at once.......for other players, it's the wrist movement followed by the arm.......that's why even the percentages are less for murray, he can't impart much spin with such motion.......

roddick's is not that great either but definitely better than murray's.......
Both wrong.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Murray or gasquet.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
When you take a closer look, Roddick´s forehand is actually really not that bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpocoSPRkMA&NR=1

He hits the ball in a very steep angle, and his follow-through is more up than forward, which creates the problem we all know; he often hits loopy, soft topspin floaters insted of getting decent pace or depth on it. SOmetimes he seems to wait for the ball to drop quite low before he hits, which adds the topspin even more at the expense of power.

But the actual technique is not bad, early preparation, shoulders turn well, weight transfer is okay. It´s a very continuous, smooth motion. Too bad it´s not always that effective.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Probably Rafa! :lol: seriously though.. he's a fighter, which is how he wins his matches. His forehand is ok, but nothing really good either, his backhand is crap, and so is his serve.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
too many times for my eyes sake. you.. never stopped being a murray tard have you?
If you've watched Murray, you would've noticed that his technique is pretty sound and that it's just the way he uses his it that makes it look inferior compared to others' and the rest of his game. So, clearly, you haven't watched Murray play at all.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts