Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who do you think has the worst forehand technique in the top 20?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
Murray? Soderling? Ferrer? Clownfils? Gasquet? Why are these guys in the poll?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
without a doubt its murray. roddick a close second.
How? Becuase it doesn't have much power? Power doesn't equal a good forehand. Murray's forehand is very accurate and is solid and consistent. Also, his technique is sound.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Murray's forehand is painful to look at.
considering his reluctance to hit a forehand i think its painful for him to try to hit one as well. he is the only player i know to round around forehands and go for backhands from time to time.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Including Ferrer, Soderling, Monfils and Murray in the poll? What is the OP smoking? I could use some of it

I'd include Soderling in a poll for best FH technique. It's freaking amazing how well he hits the ball. Surely one of the most underrated players in terms of how he moves to and winds up his FH. I'd rather teach his techinque than let's say Nadals to juniors. Effortless and powerful

I think some ppl are confusing technique with beauty or something. Just because something looks simple and brutal doesn't mean it's bad. The results speak for themselves and good FH technique isn't about looking fancy it is about winning points

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Some terrible poll options...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I think some ppl are confusing technique with beauty or something. Just because something looks simple and brutal doesn't mean it's bad. The results speak for themselves and good FH technique isn't about looking fancy it is about winning points
I couldn´t agree more. Söderling´s forehand looks a little clumsy and not that stylish, but that doesnt mean there´s anything wrong with the technique. Simple is often most effective, and there are no style points in tennis.

Nadal´s forehand, on the other hand, is something no junior should try to copy. It obviously works well for him, but the follow-through is very awkward and hard on the arm.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,472 Posts
Just because Murray doesn't hit his forehand really hard most of the time doesn't mean he has a bad technique. He has a consistent, accurate forehand which can generate a lot of pace when he wants to. If anything, he has a good technique.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Just because Murray doesn't hit his forehand really hard most of the time doesn't mean he has a bad technique. He has a consistent, accurate forehand which can generate a lot of pace when he wants to. If anything, he has a good technique.
I'd agree with this. Murray's FH has good technique. The weakness is in how he uses it.

Monfils got a similar issue in how he uses it but with a weirder looking technique than Murray. But when he unleashes his FH's potential the results speak for themselves.

Ferrer got one of the most consistent and technically sound FHs in the top20. Don't see what flaw there is to his FH?

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Gasquet hasn't a bad forehand technique moron

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
considering his reluctance to hit a forehand i think its painful for him to try to hit one as well. he is the only player i know to round around forehands and go for backhands from time to time.
You.. haven't watched Murray play once have you?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts