Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best classical music composer ever?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Recently I discovered Suppe, really great composer IMO. I didn't know that he composed some of the most famous classical compositions 馃槄

John Williams

Registered
Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi. Hard to pick, depending on the current mood really.

Registered
It's between Mozart and Bach.
Undecided; personally prefer Mozart more, but universally I must acknowledge Bach, the limitless genius.

Super Moderator
Absolutely disgusted Franz Schubert hasn鈥檛 been mentioned once. He has composed the finest selection of classic music, transpired the burdens Mozart and Beethoven gave him and their successors by simply delivering the greatest unfinished music piece of all time. Yes, there is really no doubt about this:

The first movement has influenced modern music until today. Winterreise is an elementary part of Austrian and German cultural heritage (鈥楲indenbaum鈥). Franz Schubert, the most underrated composer of all time. Died at the age of 31 only, he would have been very close to the biggest three geniuses of classic music if he just lived a little longer.

His ninth symphony was basically a whole era in a nutshell which is the Romantic Music (19th century). Nobody apart from Bach has dominated and influenced a whole century as much as he did; Bruckner, Mahler and Liszt exist because of him. Hence fourth spot in my goat rankings. Hilariously he has always struggled to compose as he found Beethoven鈥檚 burden too big. He was a huge Beethoventard and thought that music in general was finished after Beethoven鈥檚 death. Little did he know that he initiated a new chapter of music at all.

鈥斺斺

As for the thread鈥檚 question, objectively seen, there is basically no doubt who the Greatest Of All Time is. Ask every musician, Bach鈥檚 variety and completeness has covered everything. His musical genius has been the most influential over decades already during his life time, let alone post mortem.

You could say he is the engineer of classic music, nobody has matched technique with arts as perfectly as him. Anticipated most of the upcoming music eras which is why his era is considered the Classicism. Master in absolutely everything. Tennis achievements wise you could say he has won every Slam, Masters, WTFs and Olympics at least twice in singles, doubles and mixed (if there were a mixed wtfs).

As said above normally composers don鈥檛 witness their success and impact on music history, but the Big3 has which is why they are outstanding. Undoubtedly nobody can come close to them, the fourth spot is a matter of personal preference.

As for general ingenuity one could argue Mozart has had the biggest peak of them all. Probably even more talented than Bach at his peak, it鈥檚 a hot take. Beethoven on the other hand has had the biggest disadvantages due to his circumstances and health, the biggest fighter of the three. Every tone is a testament of his pure will to overcome his limitations, probably the nicest of them all I imagine.

All in all it is objectively widely considered as:
1. Bach
2./3. Mozart or Beethoven (depends on who you ask)
4. Rest

My personal preference would be like:
1. Bach
2. Mozart
3. Beethoven
4. Schubert
5. Chopin

Shout out to Mahler, Prokofiev, Vivaldi and many many many more.

PS: All four German speakers, auf geht鈥檚.

Registered
Absolutely disgusted Franz Schubert hasn鈥檛 been mentioned once.
馃憣 (y) 馃憣 (y) (y) 馃憣 (y) 馃憣 (y) 馃憣

There is no point in having a CD collection if it does not include the Beaux Arts Trio's recordings of Schubert's Godly piano trios.

I am a fanatical chamber music supremacist and rank Schubert in the first tier of this 'genre' because of his trios, which I like more than any of his symphonies.

Super Moderator
馃憣 (y) 馃憣 (y) (y) 馃憣 (y) 馃憣 (y) 馃憣

There is no point in having a CD collection if it does not include the Beaux Arts Trio's recordings of Schubert's Godly piano trios.

I am a fanatical chamber music supremacist and rank Schubert in the first tier of this 'genre' because of his trios, which I like more than any of his symphonies.
Oh yes, Schubert鈥檚 chamber music is :worship:

I see we need a Classic Best Song Game I guess with lots of different genres.

Registered
How are you defining classical composer? Not by era I assume.
The poll is being used in its everyday sense. It's fairly common in English parlance to use Classical as a proper noun when writing about that particular time period. The Merriam-Webster definition seems fair enough: "music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz"

I'm returning to the thread to give another shout out to my man Diego Ortiz, the great Spanish Renaissance composer. This music is irresistible to me:

Registered
If you ask about truly acknowledged people of Classical music, and Musicians, the vast majority of them will have a strong argument on why JS Bach is the goat.

Then the concensus will usually Mozart and Beethoven, in no particular order

then Names like Tchaikovsky, Schubert, Wagner, Handel, Chopin and Liszt, Brahms, Vivaldi and Schumann will come up often.

Registered
:LOL: at this, I was never one, but appreciate it nonetheless. I am more into symphonic music and piano/violin/trumpet concertos myself.
Frankly, Schubert is my second tier greatest composer, right after Mozart-Bach-Beethoven-Wagner-Verdi-Tchaikovsky-Chopin-Brahms-Debussy (and to a lesser extent Haydn).

Registered
Verdi is awful.

Ravel would be my pick if I had to choose a favorite composer, though he's definitely not the greatest, not with such a small body of work.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts