Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best classical music composer ever?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Self-explanatory title.

Some options in the poll but maybe you think of someone else?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
I actually visited JS Bach's "gravesite" when I was in Leipzig two years ago. They had a nice exhibit and museum adjoining the church he used to be a canter at. I'll have to post some nice pics later. Dude was awfully prolific and that extended beyond his ability to write fugues in his sleep - had a number of musical kids like Carl Philippe Bach.

A slight technical nitpick - Bach was a Baroque artist more than a classical one strictly speaking if we define eras (likewise regarding romantic era composers often referred to as classical). Nevertheless, dude had impressive style.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Seriously difficult thread , little knowledge to give it a serious vote , maybe this could be the next Song Contest , a classical music piece or whatever

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I doubt one single composer could be named best ever, all those and others are giants with a special place in the History of music. From that list I specially enjoy Bach (takes me out of this world to a parallel universe) , Mozart, Chaikovsky and Chopin. Besides Im quite partial to Russian composers such as Rimsky-Korsakov and Mussorgsky.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Poll should be with multiple choice. I can't vote just for one 😅
I enjoy the most Beethoven, Mozart, Verdi, Tchaikovsky and Chopin

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you are right - I fixed it and now it’s multiple choice poll.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks for fixing the poll @guitarra.

From those in the list I most enjoy listening to Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Mozart.

Outside of the list I would like to mention the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius, whose violin concertos I enjoy greatly. I was in this particular concert (part of an annual international contest) myself when I was very young:

Having played violin and piano myself when I was young, nearly ruined some of the great composers for me, esp. Beethoven, Bach, Schubert and Händel, whose pieces I remember having had to play while still far too young and thus not enjoying it. My family from my mother's side are artists, almost all of them, either musicians or painters, and my uncle was (he sure did live like an artist which also meant that he died young) a composer, I doubt anyone would recognise his name outside Finland though.

But my point is that even though I've thoroughly enjoyed music since I was very young, I had to find my own means to express it, which eventually were ballet when I was younger (and yes, I could watch/dance/listen to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake every night), and all sorts of dance these days, as well as singing - not playing any instrument. So never make your children do something you'd like them to do (incl. playing tennis), let them choose themselves.

I'm glad to have grown up with music and art though, as it meant that we went to listen to and see concerts, ballet and opera almost every week and my mom used to play all the classics to me home either herself or we'd listen to them together. And all of those art galleries & museums we visited, countless of them (I do also paint, it's just slightly problematic to find space to do that, as there are be better uses for a garage than me having my painting stuff all over it). And yeah, I still sometimes play violin while nobody's listening, as my skills are horribly rusty.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One more post for the sake of Karelia Suite by Jean Sibelius, as I almost forgot about this one, and it's not 'just' a violin concerto, but still amazing - just in case anyone's interested to listen to this beautiful piece of music:

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Sibelius :worship:

I don't take any issue with the choices in the poll, except to comment on how interesting it can be to observe which composers different people would omit or include. I would have included Brahms and Stravinsky, for example, at the expense of Schumann and Liszt, but it's obviously not possible to be comprehensive in this format. I find Brahms' symphonies incredibly exhilarating and I more or less buy into the 'Three Bs' school (i.e. claiming primacy for Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, although I might top it up to five by adding Bruckner and Britten).

Generally speaking, my tastes as a musician err strongly towards early music (especially lute and viol music, standout composers including Dowland, Hume, Bacheler, Marais, de Rippe and Ortiz). I love playing Renaissance lute music on my guitar, and plan to migrate to a 7-course lute at some point in the future. I also play the viola da gamba, which is such a beautiful instrument to work with and has one of the most enthusiastic communities out there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Just listen to this amazing song.
This is the darker side of Mozart. Very impressive and I love it, just like you do.

Yet his composing capabilities seemed endless, as he was so versatile. One has to wonder what all he would have been able to put together had he not died so young (while saying this I've considered the obvious fact that at the time he was alive people did not live nearly as long as we do today on average, but he still died young).

But then again, oh what great songwriters and vocalists have we lost (to drugs mainly) at so very young ages during the recent decades.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
This is the darker side of Mozart. Very impressive and I love it, just like you do.

Yet his composing capabilities seemed endless, as he was so versatile. One has to wonder what all he would have been able to put together had he not died so young (while saying this I've considered the obvious fact that at the time he was alive people did not live nearly as long as we do today on average, but he still died young).

But then again, oh what great songwriters and vocalists have we lost (to drugs mainly) at so very young ages during the recent decades.
Speaking of his versatility, putting these two movements back to back in the vespers.

Mozart was at least rather prolific.
Some say he had the perfect placement and precision of notes, just right.

At least I get the impression that even the staunchest atheist must wonder whether nature could conceive of such brilliance short of the divine.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Speaking of his versatility, putting these two movements back to back in the vespers.

Mozart was at least rather prolific.
Some say he had the perfect placement and precision of notes, just right.

At least I get the impression that even the staunchest atheist must wonder whether nature could conceive of such brilliance short of the divine.
Laudate dominum, beautiful

Don't have much knowledge of classical to state who the best is, but ones I for certain recall having enjoyed listening to are Bach and Chopin.

One composer of more recent times I stumbled upon is John Tavener:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
A slight technical nitpick - Bach was a Baroque artist more than a classical one strictly speaking if we define eras (likewise regarding romantic era composers often referred to as classical).
Do you have a stroke any time you hear the term "modern classical"?

·
F***ing have it
17,596 Posts
Vivaldi

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
From toxic tennis GOAT debates to soul purifying classical composer GOAT debates. Yes, please.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts