Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The easy answer is Djokovic as he's in poll position and he's more consistent than most. However we are coming to a couple of HC swings in North America and Asia, which Medvedev will probably like.

If Djokovic does what he normally does these days, those M1000s should be won by others and so it's not going to be straight unless it's a free for all.

·
Premium Member
62,136 Posts
Djokovic. He's got a chance for a record seven YE#1s so I think he will give it enough priority to get it done. He likes records.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would be shocked if it’s not Djokovic

Would it be the first time a 3 slam winner doesn’t get YE1?
I think so, it's somewhat possible though. If Djoko gets deep in olympics, I think he's skipping at least 2/3 of the American hard court tournaments before US Open.

If Tsitsipas has a great run, he could vulture it with all his pts from weak tournaments

·
Premium Member
26,449 Posts
I think so, it's somewhat possible though. If Djoko gets deep in olympics, I think he's skipping at least 2/3 of the American hard court tournaments before US Open.

If Tsitsipas has a great run, he could vulture it with all his pts from weak tournaments
Djokovic will Cincy regardless how he fares in Olympics.

Reactions: INFJ

·
Registered
350 Posts
Will there be the Asian swing? With Thiem the way he is, I can't see any scenario different from Nole and Medvedev sharing the last two masters if Shanghai happens. Even if he doesn't, at least I think we would agree he was the real n1 for this year

·
Registered
488 Posts
If Tsitsipas ends #1 for the year it will once and for all show how rankings statistics are completely pointless and overrated. It's always been about the titles.

·
Registered
18,449 Posts
If Tsitsipas ends #1 for the year it will once and for all show how rankings statistics are completely pointless and overrated. It's always been about the titles.
Why are they completely pointless and overrated? Oh, that's right: because Nadal doesn't have as many weeks as Djokovic and Federer. Or Sampras. Or Connors. Or Lendl.

Never mind. Carry on with your rant.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Definitely. We don't have that many 3 time slam winners but all of them sailed in to YE#1. The only one to not do it really convincingly was Wilander in 1988, as he lost #1 already January 1989. But he still got it.
Indeed, however, it would have been an anomaly if Wilander did not take the 1 after his little slam in the US Open (+ Miami + Cinci) and had not kept it until the end of the year.
As you say, little slam was not that common back then (Connors 1974) and not until big3 and Federer 2004.

Note that Wilander had to wait until he won his 7th (and last slam) to become # 1.
He must be the only one in this case.

In addition, his father had cancer (he died in 91) and he canceled his PanAm flight 103 .. which crashed at Lockerbie in December 88 ...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why are they completely pointless and overrated? Oh, that's right: because Nadal doesn't have as many weeks as Djokovic and Federer. Or Sampras. Or Connors. Or Lendl.

Never mind. Carry on with your rant.
They are completely pointless and overrated. Nobody saids that Connors or Lendl are greater than Borg because they have more than double the weeks at no.1. What matters are the slams. Move on.

·
Registered
18,449 Posts
They are completely pointless and overrated. Nobody saids that Connors or Lendl are greater than Borg because they have more than double the weeks at no.1. What matters are the slams. Move on.
I know your brain can only process one thing at a time (which is why you only bark about slams), but weeks at No. 1 is just one thing people consider when comparing players. It's not the deciding factor.

For homework, try to consider two things at the same time.

·
30,794 Posts
Djokovic. Tsitsipas is just the new Davydenko or Thiem playing every week. We’ve seen how that works as the season goes on in the past.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know your brain can only process one thing at a time (which is why you only bark about slams), but weeks at No. 1 is just one thing people consider when comparing players. It's not the deciding factor.

For homework, try to consider two things at the same time.
I don't "bark" only about slams. It's the slams and the Olympics gold medal, those are the 2 most important. Even your boyfriend Djokovic called the Olympics the 5th slam.

See? I can process and consider 2 things at the same time: Slams & Olympics. Have a nice day. 😘

·
Registered
18,449 Posts
I don't "bark" only about slams. It's the slams and the Olympics gold medal, those are the 2 most important. Even your boyfriend Djokovic called the Olympics the 5th slam.

See? I can process and consider 2 things at the same time: Slams & Olympics. Have a nice day. 😘
A gold medal is not the second most important factor and the Olympics are not a fifth slam.

Anything else?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it even a discussion? The difference is around 2500 points in the race. Or is Djoko planning to go on an hiatus again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts