Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Kyrgios, Zverev, and a peak Wawrinka can definitely stop him from winning the tournament. He's nto some unbeatable force here. This isn't clay.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pretty much all of his potential opponents

He has a tough draw.

Kyrgios (if he turns up) has a pretty good one.

·
Your visions will happen
46,881 Posts
Let's focus on Andujar first.

The #1 is back up for grabs this week so every match is important both in Dubai and Acapulco not just for this week at #1, but going into IW and Miami where both guys can pick up significant points. So the #1 is up for grabs every tournament and every week until further notice

·
|
14,042 Posts
Kyrgios, Zverev, and a peak Wawrinka can definitely stop him from winning the tournament. He's nto some unbeatable force here. This isn't clay.
None of them are as good as Rafa on hardcourt anyway.
Rafa has won FIVE hardcourt slams, including the most recent US Open!

·
Registered
117 Posts
None. He's invincible on this surface. Unless he gets injured or something, he's unlikely to fail to win the title. The end of the story.

·
justice for all
12,885 Posts
Opelka could do the job but not sure he won't be tired after the deep run in Delray Beach where he'll potentially have to play two matches today.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Didnt He loose in Acapulco with Kyrgios already in Round 2 after sweet AO run only month ago last year? You act like it is still grandslam tournament and same venue :)
Kyrgios beat him last year so he definitely has a chance.
Rafa should have won that match last year, but Rafa choked, failed to convert 3 match points, and lost the match. Kyrgios went on to win the title last year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe Zverev is a good bet. As I commented in another thread, he has the potential to beat any of the Big 3 on any given day when his game is on. From what I saw in the early rounds of the AO, he can play very very well. His biggest problem is of course that fragile 2nd serve. He can make double-digit DFs in a match every now and then, but if he can fix the problem ( actually he's less prone to DFs this year than last year ), he has a very good chance to win a GS title and break the barrier. Mark my words and bump up this thread when it happens.

·
|
14,042 Posts
Didn

Didnt He loose in Acapulco with Kyrgios already in Round 2 after sweet AO run only month ago last year? You act like it is still grandslam tournament and same venue :)
Look at my post, I said "None of them are as good as Rafa on hardcourt anyway", and "Rafa has won FIVE hardcourt slams, including the most recent US Open!".
Are either of those statements up for debate?
I never said Rafa can't lose a match, in fact he can lose to anyone at anytime.

BTW Rafa never won a title in 2019 until ROME, so he clearly wasn't in great form.
If you look at the 2019 Australian Open, Rafa never had to prove anything until the Final, because Tsitsipas played a horrible match.
Rafa wasn't even ready physically for the AO-
"....because of the things that happened to me in terms of surgery, then what happened in Abu Dhabi, I was not able to work that much the defensive game. I worked a lot on the offensive game, but not that much on the defensive game.
To play against a player like him, playing the way he played tonight, I needed that defensive game to finally have the chance to be offensive, no?"
Rafael Nadal F interview

·
|
14,042 Posts
Even though Kyrgios beat Rafa at Acapulco last year, Kyrgios never broke Rafa's serve.
And Rafa won 10 more points than Kyrgios!
So if Kyrgios repeats that performance, it may not even be enough....
And at that time, Rafa had never won a tiebreaker vs. Kyrgios.
Whereas today, Rafa has won 4 consecutive tiebreakers over Kyrgios, 2 tiebreakers at Wimbledon 2019 and 2 tiebreakers at AO 2020.

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If the surfaces have been aItered (resurfaced) to the extent of US 'BIue CIay' Open, then i think it's safe to say probabIy onIy NadaI himseIf.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts