Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,351 Posts
How is Gasquet underachiever? Or Roddick, Tsonga, Berdych, Denko...? I think they tried and did the best they could. Imo, the real underachievers would be those who could've tried harder/gave up too easily, but just couldn't be arsed. So someone like Gulbis, Tomic, Kyrgios, to some extent Dimitrov, probably Nalbandian too. Tipsarevic for the first half of his career/before 2011-12 too.

·
Registered
59,047 Posts
No idea how Kyrgios has so many more mentions than Tomic. Kyrgios hasn't done as expected, but he's still pretty young, he's been top 50 for years, and he's had some injury struggles. Tomic made a Wimbledon QF at 18 and is outside the top 200 with no injuries in what should be his prime.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,570 Posts
No idea how Kyrgios has so many more mentions than Tomic. Kyrgios hasn't done as expected, but he's still pretty young, he's been top 50 for years, and he's had some injury struggles. Tomic made a Wimbledon QF at 18 and is outside the top 200 with no injuries in what should be his prime.
Tomic is a really interesting case. I cannot see him be a world beater because he had some obvious weaknesses but top 20 was always possible. He reached it but his showings were very mercurial and he had stellar seasons followed by sheer rot. Mentality and application just weren't there.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Janowicz as well. One of the guys I hoped would cement his spot in the top 10-20 but faded away quickly after 2013.

·
Registered
59,047 Posts
Tomic is a really interesting case. I cannot see him be a world beater because he had some obvious weaknesses but top 20 was always possible. He reached it but his showings were very mercurial and he had stellar seasons followed by sheer rot. Mentality and application just weren't there.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Janowicz as well. One of the guys I hoped would cement his spot in the top 10-20 but faded away quickly after 2013.
Janowicz has a ridiculously low IQ game as well, but the main thing that's held him back has been injuries, I don't think you can fault him too much.Hope he can come back.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Reactions: Lukasgigler and Jam

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Kyrgios beating each of the big 3 the first time he played them trumps Tomic's QF run imo. Kyrgios is a ridiculous talent, but sadly doesn't have the work ethic/maturity to contend for slams.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I will repeat,it's obv: Davy and Nalba
anyone who disagrees should be banned.

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
I also think that Tommy Haas underachieved, there was a point where people though Haas would dominate tennis, and also for some period Safin.

·
Registered
68,525 Posts
Ancic, safin, joachim, tomic, kokkinakis, kontinen, ferrero

·
Registered
143 Posts
Unlike Tsonga, who couldn't hit a proper BH, especially when under pressure, Nalbandian could hit every shot in the book, had great technique and timing an a so on point shot selection and accuracy. It's got to be him for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with most of what is said here. But can I ask if Cilic underachieved without getting flamed? It's an honest question.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I agree with most of what is said here. But can I ask if Cilic underachieved without getting flamed? It's an honest question.
Nah... 3 slam finals with one win and a masters is very good for someone who was never going consistently deep or a consistent threat to top players imo.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

Seriously, that never happened. If anything, Kyrgios should be named in the discussion of the most overrated players in tennis history than in a discussion about underachievers.

Agree. He has never won anything of note. Yet they were talking about him as the next Federer a few years ago. He may have had potential. But he hasnt got it between the ears. And without that you are going NOWHERE.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No one has mentioned Robin Soderling. He could have been the next Swedish sensation in tennis. He reached 2 French Open Finals defeating Rafael Nadal in 2009 in the 4th Round at the GOAT Roger Federer in the semis in 2010? It's such a shame that glandular fever ended his career prematurely. Otherwise, he could have won a Grand Slam no problem!

Reactions: Sonja1989

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanasi Kokkinakis

And before anyone says "BUT INJURIEZZT!!!!" I'm not saying his injury record is his fault, but it still does mean that he has not achieved what he could have.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts