Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
First thought was Grigor Dimitrov. The guy looked to have so much talent and while he has had a few good slam runs but i get the feeling his career hasn't reached the level it could have.

Tsonga, Verdasco, Monfils, Gasquet and Kyrgios have all had moments where its looked like they might finally do something.

Reactions: FedererBulgaria

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Tsonga, Gasquet, Safin, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kyrgios

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
When he first entered the tennis scene as a teenager back in 2014, he looked like he will rule the tennis world by winning a double digit of slams.

Seriously, that never happened. If anything, Kyrgios should be named in the discussion of the most overrated players in tennis history than in a discussion about underachievers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
To say Roddick is underachiever is completely wrong. This is fallacy from Federer detractors basically. Roddick ran into peak Fed.. I strongly believe even peak Novak would NOT win as many against peak Fed. it would be lot more even between those two. Prime federer had a 5th gear for most of the match, not like a 5th set in 2017 etc. Both Roddick and Hewitt did very well for their games.. Federer just raised the bar further and took the sport away from them.

To me, Underachievers are: Delpotro, Safin, Nalbandian and Berdych. Berdych with all his talent is mentally defeated lost before he even enters the match. And Safin and Nalbandian could easily have been equals to Federer if they had good work ethic. The field is kind of a joke after 2010 in some ways other than big three. Unfortunate for Delpotro for injuries.. could have been the next big thing.. never happened. Tsonga never showed the consistency even he had higher peaks.. Soderling comes to mind too. In some ways Stan is an underachiever but.. well he peaked late. If one were to give biggest under achiever tag - I will give to Berdych. Even Safin and Nalbandian had their moments.

Special mention of Andy Murray.. I seriously think, he always had it in him to trouble Novak.. Too bad that didn't happen..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Safin.

He was extremely talented and had the best backhand of his time. Federer knew as much. Sadly, he didn't stay fit and focused on tennis. His talent should have propelled him to 5-8 slams, easily.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Safin/Nalbandian should have far and away been Fed's main rivals from 2003-2007. Not Geriatric, Sciatic-Ridden Agassi who was in his mid 30s and from Pete's era and diaper rash Nadal just out of 12th grade. . If they lived up to their talents, Fed would only have 10-11 slams at this point. Maybe less

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
To say Roddick is underachiever is completely wrong. This is fallacy from Federer detractors basically. Roddick ran into peak Fed.. I strongly believe even peak Novak would NOT win as many against peak Fed. it would be lot more even between those two. Prime federer had a 5th gear for most of the match, not like a 5th set in 2017 etc. Both Roddick and Hewitt did very well for their games.. Federer just raised the bar further and took the sport away from them.

To me, Underachievers are: Delpotro, Safin, Nalbandian and Berdych. Berdych with all his talent is mentally defeated lost before he even enters the match. And Safin and Nalbandian could easily have been equals to Federer if they had good work ethic. The field is kind of a joke after 2010 in some ways other than big three. Unfortunate for Delpotro for injuries.. could have been the next big thing.. never happened. Tsonga never showed the consistency even he had higher peaks.. Soderling comes to mind too. In some ways Stan is an underachiever but.. well he peaked late. If one were to give biggest under achiever tag - I will give to Berdych. Even Safin and Nalbandian had their moments.

Special mention of Andy Murray.. I seriously think, he always had it in him to trouble Novak.. Too bad that didn't happen..

Roddick wasn't that talented to be an underachiever. Nalbandian/Safin possessed 3x the talent Roddick did.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Safin/Nalbandian should have far and away been Fed's main rivals from 2003-2007. Not Geriatric, Sciatic-Ridden Agassi who was in his mid 30s and from Pete's era and diaper rash Nadal just out of 12th grade. . If they lived up to their talents, Fed would only have 10-11 slams at this point. Maybe less
That is just fan ficton.. from you who obviously do not like Fed. Fed had tougher challenge in the form of Nadal in from 2005.. and don't tell me it is baby, just born Nadal. Nadal is a prodigy reached Wimbledon finals in 2006 and 2007.. winning multiple tournaments. Safin's best is that Australian open in 2005, that is his best of best and that also Federer was razor close.. so Unlike you predict, Federer would not lose as many.. if they played him in his peak. Although, it would have made life lot harder for Nadal if others were there on non Clay slams. I think you are not giving enough credit for Federer in his peak on grass and hard courts. The guy was unbelievable and do not compare post prime Fed with players younger than him in prime. With Safin and Nalabandian in peak forms they would have been in more later rounds and maybe take 2 or 3 more majors from him. And diaper rash Nadal statement shows ignorance of Nadal. Anyone who has seen those matches and knows real tennis knows that statement is total junk. And Agassi was playing some of his best tennis before his back injury. Pete was my favorite too and he himself acknowledged.. purely based on level of tennis played. As a Sampras fan, I was a fan because of tennis he produced and I moved on to the next player who produced that level and higher. Looks like you just didn't and have sour grapes.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
That is just fan ficton.. from you who obviously do not like Fed. Fed had tougher challenge in the form of Nadal in from 2005.. and don't tell me it is baby, just born Nadal. Nadal is a prodigy reached Wimbledon finals in 2006 and 2007.. winning multiple tournaments. Safin's best is that Australian open in 2005, that is his best of best and that also Federer was razor close.. so Unlike you predict, Federer would not lose as many.. if they played him in his peak. Although, it would have made life lot harder for Nadal if others were there on non Clay slams. I think you are not giving enough credit for Federer in his peak on grass and hard courts. The guy was unbelievable and do not compare post prime Fed with players younger than him in prime. With Safin and Nalabandian in peak forms they would have been in more later rounds and maybe take 2 or 3 more majors from him. And diaper rash Nadal statement shows ignorance of Nadal. Anyone who has seen those matches and knows real tennis knows that statement is total junk. And Agassi was playing some of his best tennis before his back injury. Pete was my favorite too and he himself acknowledged.. purely based on level of tennis played. As a Sampras fan, I was a fan because of tennis he produced and I moved on to the next player who produced that level and higher. Looks like you just didn't and have sour grapes.
[/QUOTE
No he didn't. LOL. Nadal couldn't even make a HC slam semis at the time and he was still learning how to play tennis off clay. Nadal wouldn't even reach a an all court prime until THREE YEARS LATER. 19 year olds aren't consistent. They are still learning the game. Hell they just left puberty.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Top 5 underachievers the last 20 years:

1. Baby Fed - anticipated as the next Federer, at 29 he holds only 8 titles and is no longer worthy of the nickname.

2. Safin - poor discipline, too much temper and too much vodka partying. Much better casted in russian politics than in top tennis.

3. Tsonga - weak mentality when it really counts. Looks like Muhammad Ali but doesn't have the guts.

4. Monfils - a superfast talented clown, but first and foremost a clown.

5. Kyrgios - no work ethic and self-discipline, prefers internet flaming more than winning tennis matches.

·
Registered
16,775 Posts
Safin: he could have won at least 2 more slams with his peak level alone
Nalbandian: he never won a slam, but would have deserved at least one
Ferrero: he never won a HC slam, was not really close to it, he lost the USO final in straights to Roddick, though at his peak he was clearly in Top 4 on the surface at the time
Berdych: he never won a slam or a HC Masters, he had a mediocre mentality though, but could have achieved more if using his talent more wisely
Tomic: when he appeared on the Tour, everybody was expecting him to develop into a steady Top 10 player, but alas some easy money and the dirty chicks got the better of him

·
Registered
388 Posts
With Kyrgios, there won't be any surprises. He did not make it to fourth round of a slam since 2015 AO. He will never win a slam.

He has one thing, for sure, a big mouth.
You mean quarters. He's made the 4th round 4 more times including this year's AO.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
You mean quarters. He's made the 4th round 4 more times including this year's AO.
I'm sorry, I was wrong. I should have said, "he did not go past fourth round of a slam since 2015, AO." You are right about Kyrgios's fascinating slam achievements post 2015 AO.

Reactions: Popywin
21 - 40 of 79 Posts