Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To put a limit. But you can go before. For example, Agassi is widely regarded as underachiever in the 90's but it changed since 99'.

I think that, to name a few, Roddick, Tsonga, Verdasco and Gasquet are the ones in the most recent years, as Next and even Lost Gen haven't said their last word. I didn't follow Safin or Ferrero enough. Some others like Berdych or Ferrer, I think they achieved almost everything they could. From the Big 3, I would choose Fed. But I guess some other people will highlight USO for Novak or AO for Nadal.

You can call it mental weakness or whatever you want. I think we should separate choking, not winning when you're in a winning position, from a certain unbelief in yourself, wrong advices of even a lack of work. You may not reach your physical or technical potential but get to be mentally strong (and the contrary).

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Kyrgios.

When he first entered the tennis scene as a teenager back in 2014, he looked like he will rule the tennis world by winning a double digit of slams. Today, instead of being a warrior on the tennis court, he became a keyboard warrior on the social media/internet.

He will not win a grand slam. A massive disappointment.

Reactions: djb84xi

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Verdasco, as Cilic, is who he is mentally.

I don't see trying and training all your life as underachieving.

More so a lack of effort, dedication, hunger, practice, etc.

But a lack of strategical application in the case of Gasquet, could get a mention also.

Reactions: Asturfan

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Kyrgios.

When he first entered the tennis scene as a teenager back in 2014, he looked like he will rule the tennis world by winning a double digit of slams. Today, instead of being a warrior on the tennis court, he became a keyboard warrior on the social media/internet.

He will not win a grand slam. A massive disappointment.
These two I can agree.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
To be honest I still think he could one day, a tennis career can be long but I hope to be wrong about this.
Nowadays, from the way he behaves, I do not think he even cares about tennis or set himself a goal to become a grand slam champion. He will not be able to compete with the likes of Thiem, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev at the grand slam level, let alone the Big 3. He is fucked in the head and does not have the mindset to be a grand slam champion.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Nowadays, from the way he behaves, I do not think he even cares about tennis or set himself a goal to become a grand slam champion. He will not be able to compete with the likes of Thiem, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev at the grand slam level, let alone the Big 3. He is fucked in the head and does not have the mindset to be a grand slam champion.
I agree but we have seen surprising things happen. Hopefully you are right, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I agree but we have surprising things happen. Hopefully you are right, fingers crossed.
With Kyrgios, there won't be any surprises. He did not make it to fourth round of a slam since 2015 AO. He will never win a slam.

He has one thing, for sure, a big mouth.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No one over-achieves or underachieves in life unless he is underprivileged. So, nobody in tennis. Saying that a person X had the potential to win slams but did not is equivalent to saying that I would fly if I were Superman. Playing a few flashy shots like Kyrgios does not win you slams. One needs to have Plan A, B, and C, and the ability to execute any of them, if necessary, to win a slam. The Bo5 format guarantees that the best player in the field is the last man standing.

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
Yeah, Verdasco is a good call. We saw what he was capable of during AO 2009 where he pushed a peaking Rafa to 5. But sadly he was never able to reproduce this level of performance again.
Del Potro as well, but it's a different case, essentially his career was derailed by injuries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one over-achieves or underachieves in life unless he is underprivileged. So, nobody in tennis. Saying that a person X had the potential to win slams but did not is equivalent to saying that I would fly if I were Superman. Playing a few flashy shots like Kyrgios does not win you slams. One needs to have Plan A, B, and C, and the ability to execute any of them, if necessary, to win a slam. The Bo5 format guarantees that the best player in the field is the last man standing.
But, for example...

I think that, sometimes, some player gets in the head of another and it could have probably been overcomed if a differentent aproach to the game had been taken: on grass, Roddick with respect to Fed, and Fed with Djoker. Sometimes, it's also the fault os his team/trainer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
But, for example...

I think that, sometimes, some player gets in the head of another and it could have probably been overcomed if a differentent aproach to the game had been taken: on grass, Roddick with respect to Fed, and Fed with Djoker. Sometimes, it's also the fault os his team/trainer.
I see what you mean but that's precisely a weakness - allowing another player to get into your head. Slam winning is about mental strength, the ability to adapt, and everything else.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Tsonga
Del Potro
Berdych
Verdasco

and on top Federer
Well Delpo won a slam and made other slam SFs in his limited time on court. Unless you were expecting him to win 3-4 after 2009 but injuries have really disrupted him since of course. Still a career to be proud of imo as he's had some horrendous luck.

Berdych is quite interesting. Peaked at Wimbledon 2010 and was unlucky that was the one year Nadal avoided a first week exit in those times given he went to two 5 sets.

Since then he made plenty of SFs but you always felt that was the limit of what he could do as there was always better player in SF like a Murray, he was bit of a 2010s Henman.

Verdasco's chance was 2009 but get the feeling Fed would've comfortably dispatched him.

I would agree on Tsonga. Felt like he'd always peak for two weeks and win a slam like Cilic did in 2014. Period of 11-13 was the chance given he got to two Wimbledon SFs and also was consistant at French open. Think he's one who'll look back now on his career and be really frustrated he couldn't quite get going in any of the SFs he played.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Nalbandian and even Safin 'should' have a lot more to show for their level at their best. They should have been Roger's main competition consistently for a much longer period. Then there's Verdasco who has such ability and I would also add Monfils; a guy with that much speed and power but...

I would also add Gulbis who should have had a much better career based on his ability. Then there is the strange case of Jack Sock who, given the unbelievable forehand he has (and net skills) should have maximized his fitness and worked on that backhand. I can't imagine having Sock as a youngster with that backhand and not making him develop a great backhand and fitness; he would threaten anybody with that.

I suppose we could look at Kyrgios though I really think he's just a serve and the rest is too weak, from his athleticism to his groundstrokes which aren't sound enough to work on tour day in day out minus that serve. So sure, if all his strokes, his fitness and his mentality were different he'd be great lol.

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
Yeah, Verdasco is a good call. We saw what he was capable of during AO 2009 where he pushed a peaking Rafa to 5. But sadly he was never able to reproduce this level of performance again.
Del Potro as well, but it's a different case, essentially his career was derailed by injuries.
Not only did he push GOATdal, but he also defeated Murray in R4 and previous year's finalist Tsonga in the QF. Worth mentioning he also double bageled Stepanek in R3.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts