Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's pretty clear that the big four are: Novak Djokovic, Stanislas Wawrinka, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in that order at the moment (note that funnily enough this is also the same order in the race except for stan d novak).

I think it's more than time to discount Murray from those 3. His time has passed by. He wont win anything again. The reason being that too many of the young players are too good these days and can even threaten the current big four as listed above (all current four have succombed to a youngster this year bar novak)and so maybe we shudnt even talk of a big four. Murray's defensive game is dead.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that the big four are: Novak Djokovic, Stanislas Wawrinka, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in that order at the moment (note that funnily enough this is also the same order in the race except for stan d novak).

I think it's more than time to discount Murray from those 3. His time has passed by. He wont win anything again. The reason being that too many of the young players are too good these days and can even threaten the current big four as listed above (all current four have succombed to a youngster this year bar novak)and so maybe we shudnt even talk of a big four. Murray's defensive game is dead.
Hey Mooza, I found a great quote for your sig!

Seriously though, lay off the crack. I agree with your order - for the time being, but Murray will come back. Remember last year that he outright missed the French, only to come back and win Queens and Wimbledon. He'll be back

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
even he leads 2014 rankings, even he became the man, etc... problem i have with Wawrinka is that i still see him losing 9/10 matches to Noldal and 9/10 against Fed on non clay surface

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
The Big 4 =/= 4 players most likely to win big tournaments. It was the name assigned to Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray when they were winning everything. Those players are 'The Big 4', no matter their ranking or what their last victory was... I'm surprised a few posters still don't seem to understand this (though looking at the OP I guess I shouldn't be too surprised)...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said we should probably start referring to a BIG FOUR since there isn't one anymore. Federer is not winning anymore, nor is Murray.

·
Administrator
6,073 Posts
Again, "Big Four" isn't something that changes to include the best four players at a particular time, it was just a name media and others used to refer to four particular players who happened to be constantly at the top for a sustained period. They will be the "Big Four" even when they are all retired.

The current "top 4" are Nadal, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Federer, as the rankings say...

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
:zzz:

Murray, Del Potro, Raonic and Isner

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
The Big 4 are the 4 most successful active players, regardless of their injuries or their current form. A few days ago when Wawa was losing to Golubev, no one was considering him as a big 4 member.
We can't have a new big4 everytime a new tournament champion rises.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

These talks about the big four bore me. Lets talk about Wawrinka's backhand. :wavey:

·
Registered
683 Posts
From Stan himself after his Monte Carlo win:

"I think the big four will always be the big four -- Rafa, Novak, Roger and Murray. They won all the tournaments since many years and you cannot change that. The rankings may be different, but the statistics are the same."

I agree with him. The big 4 refers to those four players as they're the ones who've dominated the big tournaments over the last six years or so. And that's taking nothing away from how good Stan currently is.

·
23,064 Posts
These talks about the big four bore me. Lets talk about Wawrinka's backhand. :wavey:
Here, here! :D

Seriously though, what is the BIG FOUR talk now? I mean, he hasn't proven to be that consistent and is 29 already -- even though I would like him to really have a peak season now he haven't had the same consistency to go deep everytime unlike the Big Four and is of course a lot less accomplished than them (Murray at least had 9 Masters now I think). Just relax and enjoy the ride whatever happens without talking about these Big Four, H2H, GOAT stuff...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts