Mens Tennis Forums banner

Given a matchless practice-only 14-day quarantine, who among "Big 3" would attend?

• Nadal only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Federer only

• Nadal and Federer only

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If, as seems to be the case right now, the Aus Open 2021 proceeds with players required to undergo 14-day practice-only matchless quarantine prior to the start, and no other tournaments scheduled in Australia.....

Who among the "Big 3" would attend?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Federer and Djokovic have never skipped it, Nadal twice, when he was not 100 % ready to compete therein.

Also, Federer has never skipped Wimb, Djokovic RG and Wimb.

So, if they are injury & covid-19 free they (Fedalovic) will be there on the main court, eager to set new records.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
All three of them will be there for the Feb start.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Roger and RAFA will take a vaccine from Swiss Labs, and will not need to quarantine. Not sure about No1e's current stance on vaccines.

Predictably,
masterclass

Reactions: Han Solo

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Quarantine or no quarantine, vaccine or no vaccine, 100% or below 100%, the king of AO will defend his precious title & throne w/ every sinew in his body.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
They will hold Novaxx down, forcibly administer the vax, and tards will start yelling 'asterisk' when he crashes out in the first round.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure Fed will play it, as his points are frozen and the quarantine looks like it will be annoying. Nadal might skip it too if it is played too close to the clay season. So I would say Novak 99% (he still aims for 20+), Nadal 80%, Fed 50%.
Edit: voted for Novak+Rafa

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't kept up with Fed too much, is he recovered from his surgery? February is only two months away so he would pretty much have to be fully recovered right now to have a decent shot and winning and I don't think he would go through the trouble of quarantine etc. if he didn't think he could win.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I haven't kept up with Fed too much, is he recovered from his surgery? February is only two months away so he would pretty much have to be fully recovered right now to have a decent shot and winning and I don't think he would go through the trouble of quarantine etc. if he didn't think he could win.
In the last five seasons Federer has reached four SF stages down under, only Nadal at RG has made four SF's in the last five seasons.

Since 2003, AO semis were without Federer in 2015 (3R) and 2019 (4R).

Federer's SF resume:

AO 15 (skipped zero times)
RG 8
Wimb 13 (skipped zero times)
USO 10
WTF 16 (skipped once, 2020)
IW 12 (skipped once, 2016)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
2019 too , but I think it is an oversight since you specify beforehand: In the last five seasons Federer has reached four SF stages down under.
Yep, I've already edited the mistake, it was 2015 not 2013, and then 2019 (4R) in the last five seasons.

So, if he is injury & covid-19 free Federer will be there, being 100 % ready or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the last five seasons Federer has reached four SF stages down under, only Nadal at RG has made four SF's in the last five seasons.

Since 2003, AO semis were without Federer in 2015 (3R) and 2019 (4R).

Federer's SF resume:

AO 15 (skipped zero times)
RG 8
Wimb 13 (skipped zero times)
USO 10
WTF 16 (skipped once, 2020)
IW 12 (skipped once, 2016)
I don't know what that has to do with the question I asked, which is: has he recovered from his surgery?

·
Your visions will happen
49,207 Posts
Djokovic simply cannot afford to not win AO so of course he plays

Fedal will play too

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it may be only Djokovic - as he is desperate to win this slam after the f*ck up in NYC. Not sure Nadal nor Federer would put themselves through a 14-day quarantine where you're forced to stay in your hotel room for 19 hours a day and only allowed to come to Australia with 1 coach. Especially if there is no other tournament in Aus.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Please, if any 2 guys need AO, it’s Fedal.
It depends on how you see it.

Here, Federer 6AO and Nadal 1AO are not on the same basis.

If you see the best chance, for sure AO for Djokovic (with Wimb), RG for Nadal, and Wimbledon for Federer (AO comes too early, I think, without a benchmark at this age, but you never know).

But surely, if Djoko does not win AO, it is a big missed opportunity.
Nadal is not tired or injured from 2020, he finished the season with a good level of play, so he can have a good opportunity, but this is the slam where he will have the least pressure.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The question was who will attend among them & i simply corrected previous post that “Fedal might skip due to rules” when these rules likely affect Novak the most as we’ve seen from throughout 2020 pandemic season so it wasn’t a response based on who needs tourn. the most, just a response to baseless reasoning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts