Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it be Milos Raonic who showed his good form and mental toughness in a close final @ Chennai?

Or will it be homeboy Bernard Tomic with his variety and organizer's blessings?

Or someone else?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Dimitrov who actually destroyed a top 10 player this week.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Tomic or Dimitrov.
Tomic can win many matches. Outside the top 4, he can beat most players.
Dimitrov is in very good form, he can win a couple of rounds with a good draw.
I think Raonic won't repeat last year's run even though MTF thinks he's gonna reach semis since he won Chennai...
I would love to say Harrison has a chance to reach 2nd round, but most probably he will lose the first match regardless the draw.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
If Milos keeps that fantastic level up next week, it will be him. He also has the experience of having made the 4th round there last year.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
AO is way too slow for Raonic, his serve will be considerably less effective so I can't see him getting through a decent grinder with an average return and reasonably strong mentality.
Tomic may fail under pressure but realistically he may avail himself of a good draw and reach R16/QF.

Except from those two, I don't expect any other youngster to make some mess in this tournament.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
AO is way too slow for Raonic, his serve will be considerably less effective so I can't see him getting through a decent grinder with an average return and reasonably strong mentality.
Tomic may fail under pressure but realistically he may avail himself of a good draw and reach R16/QF.

Except from those two, I don't expect any other youngster to make some mess in this tournament.
Faster surfaces don't always suit these kind of players, big servers often have poor movement and need a lot of time to hit their rally shots. If he hits his serve the right way, it's going to be an ace most of the times anyway, no matter how fast the surface is (if they're both hardcourts, just looking at that).

On a faster hardcourt however, he has less time to set his groundstrokes up, so I think the AO suits him better than say, the US Open. Because his serve is still a huge weapon, but he's not a complete non-factor once the rally gets started.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Grigor Dimitrov. He schooled Fish and carried Bulgaria in the Hopman Cup.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grigor Dimitrov. He schooled Fish and carried Bulgaria in the Hopman Cup.
Hmm but the Hopman cup is an exhibition tournament. I do wish Dimitrov stops mugging around and starts winning, maybe the Hopman cup is the confidence he needs.

I remember the older Dimitrov (i.e. Roger Federer) also played the Hopman cup before his breakout year, that maybe a sign.. :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Hmm but the Hopman cup is an exhibition tournament. I do wish Dimitrov stops mugging around and starts winning, maybe the Hopman cup is the confidence he needs.
They took it seriously, though. Berdych, Fish, and Nielsen were not clowning around when they faced Grisha. He really impressed me last week.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
I think Tomic.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Dimitrov, he has looked good recently, detroyed Fish in Hopman Cup and Fish seemed to take it VERY seriously. the time has come

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Faster surfaces don't always suit these kind of players, big servers often have poor movement and need a lot of time to hit their rally shots. If he hits his serve the right way, it's going to be an ace most of the times anyway, no matter how fast the surface is (if they're both hardcourts, just looking at that).

On a faster hardcourt however, he has less time to set his groundstrokes up, so I think the AO suits him better than say, the US Open. Because his serve is still a huge weapon, but he's not a complete non-factor once the rally gets started.
This is very true. Remember Soderling's results at the French. His loopy technique with the FH benefits hugely from the additional time he has to set up the shot on a slower and high bouncing court.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
each of them has a chance (with all due respect, Tomic and ofc Berankis the smallest) but it sadly all depends on the draw

i believe with a good draw you can even get to a QF and with a bad draw lose in the first round. the seeded ones will get a performance between 3rd round and QF

currently i can't see any of them (not even Raonic) beating fed, rafa, nole or murray

·
Your visions will happen
49,320 Posts
Tomic most likely. Depends on draw of course, but I can see 4th round.

Dimitrov I still don't trust.

Raonic can do damage too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I want to say Dimitrov, but I have to say Raonic. I want to see more from Dimitrov when under pressure. It is true that he impressed during HC, but as he said himself he was having fun during the whole tournament, and I know that when he is having fun he can beat anyone on the tour. But it is a whole different ball game when it is not fun but clutch. And he is yet to prove that he can win when it is clutch. I had enough of "pretty" losses he needs to start getting those W's. BTW here is a highlights video I made from his match with Fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPXawNcZvfo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

1 - 20 of 70 Posts