Votes: 20 32.3%
  • RG more surprising, AO more impressive

Votes: 2 3.2%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At AO 2014 Stanimal took out the AO GOAT in the QF before overcoming Nadal in the final, a man he had never wo a set against let alone a match.

At RG, he beat GOAT Roger in straight sets before beating Djoker, the best player in the world currently and a man he was 3-17 against.

Which was more surprising? Which impressed you most? Cheers :)

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
AO was the most surprising (Wawrinka winning a Slam and defeating arguably his worst match-up, and playing well), but the most impressive was today's RG (for his incredible level and for defeating Djokovic).

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
More surprising : AO 2014. We knew he could very well reach the final at RG 2015, even if I didn't expect him winning the title.
More impressive : RG 2015. Mainly because of the AO 2014 final which was disappointing due to Nadal's injury.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
AO 14 was definitely more surprising. Once he'd shown what he was capable of there, it was always a possibility that he could hit another hot streak and win another slam.

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts
More surprising was AO 2014.

Hard to say which was most impressive - the most impressive thing he did each tournament was beat Djokovic, and you would have to say beating him at the Australian Open (he is still the only one to do so since before 2011) in a closer match was more impressive than beating him at the French Open today when he seemed more vulnerable, although the level of play at French Open was better and it was in the final.

·
Registered
797 Posts
To me AO win was the bigger surprise. Before the final, everyone(except Nadaltards) was like "damn, why did Stan beat Djoko, he is going to lose the final for sure." And then Stanimal ripped Nadal apart till he ran out of the court with an injured ego. Today's result was a stunner as well, but this time it wasn't as unexpected as 2014 AO.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
AO was the most surprising (Wawrinka winning a Slam and defeating arguably his worst match-up, and playing well), but the most impressive was today's RG (for his incredible level and for defeating Djokovic).
This.

·
24,387 Posts
AO 2014 for me -- you can't be surprised as much as winning against a player who has never given you a Set in 12 attempts. I knew he had it in him to challenge Fed and Djokovic on RG, but the way he did it was very impressive. Both very tough facing the #1 and #2 seeds. AO was thought to be a blessing but RG is an opportunity.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
AO '14 for sure. Everybody knew he can play great tennis, even make the final with a nice draw, and challenge best players but not beat them. He had never beaten a big name but non-big3 Murray on a big stage. The expectation was at best for a 76 76 76 loss.

Now everybody knew he can win a big tournament. This should've been no surprise for anyone.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
For me today Stan victory is the most unexpectable event of many years. Make awesome strikes for 4 sets, in rally, on clay, against wall Djokovic. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Beating a guy who hadn't put wrong foot while cleaning all mandatory events since last November is far more impressive -- in 4 sets that could have been a straight set demolition if weren't robbed from re-break chance at 5-4 1set ..Few forget that Wawriinka was beneficiary of Walkover and ret. before Nadal gets debilitated by his back in the AO'14 F..This was glorious and no whiff of asterikism whatsover..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I always thought that Wawrinka was a "sad-sack" loser. I didn't think he had the mental strength to win a single slam.

For that reason, the first slam is always the more surprising and impressive.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
More surprising, AO 2014
More impressive, definitely this FO.
His performances against Fed and especially Djoker were nothing sort of amazing.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ao14 for surprising, today for impressive. He was serving at 70+% and winning ~90% of them. In Ao14 for comparison, I believe there was a point where he was around 25% first serves in (still won that set).

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I pick RG for more impressive and surprising

simply because the year before Wawrinka won the Australian Open he took Djokovic to 5 (of course Djokovic went on to win the event in 2013). come 2014 I don't think it was shocking that Wawrinka made it through his section of the draw, beating Novak
sure the Nadal defeat was surprising considering their H2H but not THAT shocking considering the circumstances and surface

this RG though I don't know like anyone bar maybe a handful of posters who appeared to have any hope or conviction that Wawrinka could win the event. the guy never made it past the QF's at this event before this season, and he got defeated in early rounds in almost all of the clay pre RG events except one

the Roland Garros win is definitely more impressive in my eyes based on Wawrinka's career success on clay at big events. he claims its his favorite surface, but until now his results were very much a mixed bag

·
Registered
375 Posts
How can the AO be more surprising? From game 1 in the final it was evident Nadal was injured - Stan literally would've had to undergo the choke of a lifetime to let that final slip from his grasp.

FO 15: 95% of people expected Novak to win - many in straight sets. This by far was the more surprising win!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
In both tournaments he beat the #1 and #2 players in the world. Both were very impressive. AO was more of a surprise because nobody expected him to win a slam at that point. And going in to the final he never beat Rafa before and we all know Rafa is a beast when he makes semis and finals.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
How can the AO be more surprising? From game 1 in the final it was evident Nadal was injured - Stan literally would've had to undergo the choke of a lifetime to let that final slip from his grasp.

FO 15: 95% of people expected Novak to win - many in straight sets. This by far was the more surprising win!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Everyone expected Nadal to win 100% at the AO final... the Injury thing is just more bullllcraaappp

1 - 20 of 25 Posts