Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which was Roger's best match in 2011?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tennisseason 2011 came to a very pleasant end for Roger today but that also means that it's the time of the year again in which I would like to know which match you consider the best Roger played during the past months.

·
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doha F against Davydenko (6:3 6:4)

AO QF against Wawrinka (6:1 6:3 6:3)

FO SF against Djokovic (7:6 6:3 3:6 7:6)

FO F against Nadal (5:7 6:7 7:5 1:6)

USO against Monaco (6:1 6:2 6:0)

Basel F against Nishikori (6:1 6:3)

Paris R 16 against Gasquet (6:2 6:4)

Paris SF against Berdych (6:4 6:3)

WTF RR against Nadal (6:3 6:0)

WTF final against Tsonga (6:3 6:7 6:3)

·
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case you can't decide for just one match you can vote for as many as you want ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
tough to rank, have to say Rog's best individual performances are

1. Berdych @ Paris

2. Davy @ Doha Final tied with Monaco @ US Open

3. Kei @ Basel Final

His best tournament by far this year was Roland Garros, his form was consistently excellent from match to match (apart from the Monfils one). I will say that the BEST MATCH OF 2011 goes to Fed-Djoker @ RG SF.

Was lucky to watch the entire match from start to finish and it really was anybody's guess who was going to win in the end. Quality of shotmaking was crazy good, very intense and great drama due to many deuce games from both players (think Djoker had set points in both first and last sets). As a Fed fan it was real cool to see the French crowd rooting so hard for Fed, and at the end hearing the whole stadium chanting "Roger, Roger" :worship: I bet even Fed was thinking, it's moments like these that you live for....

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I really think this WTF vs Nadal.
I don't know... It was a tennis lesson by Feddy.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
Roger vs Rafa WTF RR, then against Nole in RG.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
I voted:
#1 WTF RR vs Nadal -- just because :devil: :lol: but seriously, the combination of near-flawless masterclass tennis and him getting a win over an opponent he has a poor record against is just so good.

#2 French Open SF vs Djokovic -- just because it was incredible tennis against an opponent playing out of his mind. It was so meaningful, being in a GS and ending Novak's streak.

#3 WTF Final vs Tsonga -- because Roger has lost too many matches that he should have won recently. Winning here was important for him, especially for his confidence going forward. Maybe not as high quality tennis as the others but the fact that he didn't fade away and took back control of the match and won is awesome.

Reactions: GOAT = Fed

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I voted for RG against Nole and RR against Rafa. I'd put RG first though, because it was a slam and because of what was on the line :)
+1. Most definitely the RG semifinal, perhaps even halting Djoko from what might have ended up as a Calender Year GS.
The WTF RR match was the match were Rog actually showed his best tennis again, but I can't help but think that the fact that Raf was quite subpar did help him a bit there. NB: that's not meant as downgrading Rog's performance, it's just one of the things that happen in tennis, and it's been the other way round plenty of times as well. :)

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
1. The R.G. semi against Djoker. Quality of play was astonishing from both, incredible that Fed kept it together in such a close match against such a determined & in-form opponent.

2. The R.R. Rafa beatdown. God that was good. But it was less of an all-around performance, if only because his forehand was so good he didn't even need a net game. It was though the hiding we all knew he could hand out & we'd all been waiting for since 2005.

3. The Paris semi against Berdych. As Berdy said, this was the old Roger again.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Have to agree with Sophocles. The RG match was absolutely brilliant, especially considering the level of fight that Nole put up.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Watching the highlights again, that R.G. semi really was a great match. Easily the best match since the Nadal-Verdasco A.O. semi in 2009, possibly even its equal, and one of the finest 4-set matches in living memory, & probably the best match ever between Federer & Djoker. Undoubtedly the match of the year.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
RG match is the best if you evaluate the occasion . If you evaluate just Roger's performance it is not . When Fed is playing his absolute best tennis he doesn't lose the serve 4-5 times in the match . And there was also too many shanks in this match

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
RG match is the best if you evaluate the occasion . If you evaluate just Roger's performance it is not . When Fed is playing his absolute best tennis he doesn't lose the serve 4-5 times in the match . And there was also too many shanks in this match
He might on clay, against a great opponent on top form - as in this case.

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
I voted for the French Open sf but didn't know you could vote for multiple matches
the Nadal match at the WTF was great :D
and also the Berdych match in Paris b/c I was there in person and was like this :inlove: the whole time!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts