• I dunno, lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roddick was *6-2 up and lost 6 points in a row, though only 2 were UEs - the famous BH volley at *6-5 and rally BH miss at 6-7*. Lost all three mini-breaks at net (though the first was a sweet half-volley pass).

Khachanov DFed three times - Nadal didn't win a non-DF point on return and commited like 4 UEs, though none on his serve, with Karen getting both mini-breaks back by forcing errors, but then he DFed again and this time Nadal outlasted him in the rally.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,915 Posts
Roddick, easily

Khachanov was never really in a winning position in the TB

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roddick, easily

Khachanov was never really in a winning position in the TB
Hmm, so choking from a winning position is worse than choking from the very beginning? Doesn't quite make sense. Suppose a player double faults on every service point, is that still a lesser choke that making 2 UEs from 6-2 up?

·
Registered
57,798 Posts
Roddick's was a worse choke, but Khachanov's was a worse performance overall.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,340 Posts
Roddick’s easily. Being 6-2 up and losing a tiebreak is pretty unforgivable. Khachanov hit three double faults, aye, but he wasn’t ahead by 4 points, never mind four set points.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I guess I get your thinking: better to lose a tiebreak 0-7 than to be 6-0 up and lose it 6-8. If you're not going to win, don't bring any resistance at all so you don't get labeled a choker, but can instead claim that you were simply outplayed by a GOATing opponent. What can I say, clever!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Most of the answers from people will be heavily influenced by who they support but it has to be Roddick easily for me, I think most of this forum could have at least put that BH volley in play.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the answers from people will be heavily influenced by who they support but it has to be Roddick easily for me, I think most of this forum could have at least put that BH volley in play.
Do you think most of this forum can avoid double-faulting on every other point?

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Hmm, so choking from a winning position is worse than choking from the very beginning? Doesn't quite make sense. Suppose a player double faults on every service point, is that still a lesser choke that making 2 UEs from 6-2 up?
How does that "not make sense?" If you're winning, there's a higher likelihood/expectation that you'll actually win.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does that "not make sense?" If you're winning, there's a higher likelihood/expectation that you'll actually win.
So is it better to play poorly from the start and lose than to get into a winning position and then play poorly to lose? If the latter is a choke and the former is not, and both are losses, sounds like the latter is worse since it's a loss and a choke, while the former is just a loss.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Nothing will ever beat Lajovic choking away a *6-3 double minibreak lead against Thugner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts