Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which star players from past eras would do well in this one?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario: with a time machine, star players from previous eras are snatched up in their prime, brought to this era, and plopped down on court.

Who would do well with minimal changes? ("Do well" meaning, probably, be in the top 10 and put up a fight with the top players at M1000s and Slams.) Who would be able to adapt and then do well? Who would be up a creek without a paddle and sit around sulking?

(I'm not as informed on previous eras as I'd like - before my time - so I'm genuinely curious.)

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Michael Chang

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
73 Posts
At 5'11 I don't think Borg would have had the power to compete as well in this era. I would say Lendl would do the best in the modern era

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
At 5'11 I don't think Borg would have had the power to compete as well in this era. I would say Lendl would do the best in the modern era
I actually think Borg is the surest choice with his movement given the grinding style favored today. As far as strokes go, if he could do wonders with a wooden racquet, surely he'd have no trouble adapting to modern ones in this what if scenario.

Lendl's game doesn't need much adjsutment either to today's conditions, true.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Pancho Gonzalez.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5'11" isn't THAT short - we've got 5'9" guys even today. But I think you may very well be right with Lendl.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Nice that you noticed. Great roddick tennis brothers with bro john coaching the number 2 player of 2004-early 2006. :lol: :lol:
Hall of famer dick only missed the 2008 Olympics because federer said world tennis finals were where both of them dominated tennis.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
We don't know that he still would have been 5'11 in this Hormonal Generation of Humans.
At any rate, his combination of speed and endurance on the court was unmatched. It's not all about power.

He's been asked how he would play and beat Nadal on clay.
He's said he would try to outlast him and outrun him and see who is more patient.

He also knew a thing or two about clay and topspin. Imagine him playing with the psuedo spaghetti string racquets of today with their teflon coated strings.

Borg vs. Vilas - Roland Garros Final 1978

Borg won the title 1, 1, and 3, defeating the defending champion Vilas who won the year before in Borg's absence due to Borg being prevented from playing because of his contract with WTT. Borg didn't drop a set during the entire tournament, and dropped only 32 games in 7 matches for the fortnight, I believe an Open Era record that still stands today.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Agassi.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
People who didn't pick McEnroe are crazy. The lefty serve in the ad court would still dominate. I guess most people here are just too young to have seen the master from Queens.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
No Agassi/Sampras? But Borg and Lendl for me, and Chang.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The bulldog tenacity of Cliff Richey would play well in today's game. Lendl of course is a good choice. And Connors, too. And Edberg. Laver very likely as well. And probably Nastase, although the clowning he did back then would get him kicked off today's tour.

·
Registered
590 Posts
People who didn't pick McEnroe are crazy. The lefty serve in the ad court would still dominate. I guess most people here are just too young to have seen the master from Queens.
Servevolley is dead. If you're talking about some hypothetical McEnroe that didn't S&V you're talking about a different player.

If the courts were the same? Sure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Laver would do almost exactly as well as you would expect a 5'8 Federer to do, which is pretty good but no slams.

Borg would own souls on clay and the Nadal matches would be something to see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts