Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Public poll. Vote and discuss.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
Probably the AO. They really put in 2000% into all their upgrades and have done so much to not only support the players but to also support the fans.

They have roofed courts and have created one of the most popular tournaments in the world.

Second would be the US open as it attracts a diverse population of people to come and watch and they are supportive of the masses with their outside courts and fan services.

Tie for last is easily Wimbledon and the French Open, neither changing their ways and catering to an elite experience.

Normal people want to watch tennis on Sunday, their DAY off , but Wimbledon would never have it.

And matches in France better end at 8:00 pm so not to disturb and blind the rich neighbors around the area with flood lights..

Reactions: Unbiased

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
What's your opinion?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AO has everything and above all has the best atmosphere, which is not an accident. So I would say AO is the people's slam easily.

When it comes to other slams, I pretty much agree with you. USO after AO, while RG and W are snobbish. But to be fair to W, they say that 1 day off is necessary because of grass recovery. Maybe they could determine for each of the main courts different day off, so that the people effectively can watch tennis every day including Sunday.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
What's your opinion?
The Olympics. Period. J/k

Well I maybe speaking for the tennis community here in this part of the world . RG . No doubt that tournament has been the Coliseum of all tennis. We were born in the dirt like sand was for past warriors . it still remains that historical imagery of the peoples slam in our genes . Grass is for cows and all that sh*t .

Now if its personal preference , I choose RG too but I'd prefer an argie to win Wimby for the first time in our history.
1)RG
2)W
3)USO
4)AO

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
AO has everything and above all has the best atmosphere, which is not an accident. So I would say AO is the people's slam easily.

When it comes to other slams, I pretty much agree with you. USO after AO, while RG and W are snobbish. But to be fair to W, they say that 1 day off is necessary because of grass recovery. Maybe they could determine for each of the main courts different day off, so that the people effectively can watch tennis every day including Sunday.
But why Sunday? The working man could watch tennis on Sunday , but not Monday.

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
The Olympics. Period. J/k

Well I maybe speaking for the tennis community here in this part of the world . RG . No doubt that tournament has been the Coliseum of all tennis. We were born in the dirt like sand was for past warriors . it still remains that historical imagery of the peoples slam in our genes . Grass is for cows and all that sh*t .

Now if its personal preference , I choose RG too but I'd prefer an argie to win Wimby for the first time in our history.
1)RG
2)W
3)USO
4)AO
Del Potro could have two Wimbledon if not for Djokovic and Nadal. 2013 and 2018.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Del Potro could have two Wimbledon if not for Djokovic and Nadal. 2013 and 2018.
Yeah and Nalby if not for Hewitt in 2002. But he was too strong.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But why Sunday? The working man could watch tennis on Sunday , but not Monday.
Probably for no reason other than "tradition".

·
|
15,354 Posts
I've noticed Rafa does more fist-pumps at the US Open than any other slam.
I think Rafa connects with the New York crowd more than any other slam crowd.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I would have AO far above the rest, if it weren't for Tiley shenanigans.

They all have their flaws to be honest.

Yeah and Nalby if not for Hewitt in 2002. But he was too strong.
Nalbandian was rubbish in that final making 41 unforced errors for only 10 winners.

While Del Potro should really have at least 4-5 slams, Nalbandian has always been a bit overrated, are you confident he would have beaten Ferrero in the 2003 USO final? Im not.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,342 Posts
AO always had the feel that anyone could watch. Good TV coverage and nice assortment of courts and passes, and they always have nice highlights (rather than lousy 1.5-2 minute ones). AO even has the full Nishikori PCB fifth set super TB in the highlights on youtube. Only Serena's USO tantrum in 2018 against Osaka got nearly as much coverage immediately. And generally the interviews are great as well. Of course I'm biased because it's my home slam (I haven't been incidentally, but something to tick off on my bucket list later).

·
Registered
59,363 Posts
AO, beyond the shadow of a doubt. For all Wimby's history, AO is the best Slam every year. Great crowd, great matches, well-run event.

RG might get the silver in terms of being the people's Slam. USO has awful atmosphere, and Wimby is too highbrow.

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
I think it's poetic that people used to skip AO, now we have had Nadal and Federer contending in a fifth set for tennis history

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1) AO - Players are fresh, the atmosphere is great, the venue is beautiful...Nole is a god
2) W - stiff upper lip
3) USO - drunk noisy crowds
4)RG - sucks, suckity (no roof - too bad we won't see it now, no HE/FT, no flood lights, no competition for Nadal, rude crowd, worst YT channel...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts