Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which player's service action do you like the most?

• The Federer Swivel

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • The Schalken Jerk

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • The Grosjean Leap

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • The Escude Spring

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • The Roddick Slam-Dunk

Votes: 43 21.7%
  • The Hewitt Lurch

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • The Ljubicic Crouch

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • A player whose service action can't be conveniently described in one word, because I think your opti

Votes: 48 24.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone reckon about this? I have quite a few that I like the look of (and more to the point, some that I can actually imitate on the court), so I really couldn't say.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I don't find Schalkens to be the one that I like the most, exactly, but it is certaintly the most memorable for me. I spent his entire first round match at the US Open, admiring it, trying to figure out exactly what it was that made him look like such a robot ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could go on about how surprisingly effective the Schalken serve is, like the fact that it's always deep in the service box and is hit so flat that it skids off the line or else is sliced away from the returner, and the fact that he always gets a high percentage of first serves in making him tough to break, but it's never going to be a major weapon.

The truth is that he changed it years ago in order to stop a potentially crippling shoulder injury, and like most people who remodel their serves because of injury (e.g. Gaudenzi, who has a similar motion) it ended up looking very stiff, static and jerky. But I love it, it makes him look as though he's so laid-back and casual that he isn't even bothering to spring off the ground when he serves.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
The part about Schalken's serve that freaks me out is the fact that he has virtually no knee-bend. Almost everyone goes on and on about how important a good, deep knee-bend is for the effective serve, but Schalken seems to have proven them wrong ;)

I actually don't pay that much attention to how a player serves unless he's conspicuous or especially weak on his serve (hard when you only get to watch tennis on TV). So now that I have a chance to review my Australian Open tapes, I'll get back to you on the poll question ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would say "The Hewitt Lurch".

For some reason I just like the way he serves. hmm.. It lurches...yes that's why. hehe. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
gotta go with Roddick. freaky how he hits it so damn hard with only swinging the racket a short didstance. pretty cool motion. too good

·
Registered
331 Posts
federer's
i hate roddick's motion

·
Chiudi-fan
75,888 Posts
I really don't like the one of Roddick and the one of Schalken. I like the one of Federer. (But maybe that's also because I like Roger very much :eek:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Roddick Slam-Dunk

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I like Petes the best. Gotta love that pointed toe.

The ones i dont like are Roddicks, Hewitts and Schalkens, and also players like Zabaleta who have weird arm rotations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ivanisevic has the most attractive service action in my opinion, closely followed by Krajicek.

On the subject of Schalken, I think that he does have a knee bend, it's just that he bends them the wrong way...it looks impossible!

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok, this is the first time i've posted so i just want to say hi first!
i have to say i like Marat's serve the best (but that's also cos i just love marat). Schalken's is the weirdest. Moya's is the funniest, he does a little plié before he hits the ball. of the players u can choose from i have to say escude.. i dunno why, i saw him play in rotterdam last week and i just thought he had an amazing serve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure who has the most attractive service....... but what I reckon is that S. Grosjean has an amazing service concerning that he is one of the lowest tennis players on ATP circuit.....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Chela, Zabaleta & Gonzo have the weirdest service motion. My personal fave is Srichaphan's, it's so awsome! Kafelnikov's, Marat's & Costa's are also nice, & Schalken's & Hewitt's are just plain strange.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Srichaphan's serve always looks rather odd to me, when you watch him he seems to arm it in because he stands so straight and rigid, but it certainly works very well. The key to Grosjean's serve is that he leaps quite high off the ground to deliver it, but it can fail him at times. At the moment, he has the dubious distinction of having had the lowest first serve percentage that I have ever seen in a match, during the first set of his Davis Cup match with Rafter in 2001. The stats at the end of the set showed Rafter at 70% first serves in, Grosjean at a less than dazzling 12% - and this when you consider that Escude had been serving at an incredible 92% first serves in during the final set of his match with Hewitt.

And I agree with Dina about Karsten Braasch - if anyone hasn't seen this guy serve, you don't know what you're missing. He's a left-hander, and he swings the racket back and forth in his hand before hurling the ball upwards and physically leaping several feet into the air, twisting his body as he does it. The fact that he wears glasses on court only adds to the weird effect.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts