Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching Karlovic and Isner this week and it really brought home how appalling their backhand techniques are. Sure their forehands aren't world class by any stretch of the imagination but the gap is still crazy. For players having an awful forehand compared to backhand I reckon Paire is the most obvious among current players.

From retired players Greg Rusedski stands out. El Aynaoui too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
From retired players, I'd probably name Fernando Gonzalez. Amazing forehand, pretty good serve -- but his backhand really let him down.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This thread was done before mate. Fernano Gonzalez, Sebastian Grojean, Benoie Paire, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Tsonga, Gasquet, Paire. Something about being French... Outside them, Isner is up there. Federer would have been a good nominee a year or two ago but his backhand has improved and his forehand worsened.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Servebots have no backhand usually, so discussing the likes of Karlovic and Isner in this thread is just pointless. Apart from them, in the top 100:

Tsonga, Chardy, Delbonis, Kyrgios, Johnson, Estrella Burgos.

All of them with much better forehand than backhand.

IMHO there is no such thing as player with excelent backhand and terrible forehand though. It's a MTF's urban legend.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Lukas Lacko has an excellent backhand and an okay forehand.

I think carpet; what people mean is the GAP between their forehand and backhand being substantial. If you look at Nadal for example, though his backhand is good, the gap between it and his forehand in terms of how much damage it can cause to an opponent is HUUUGGE.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Paire. Paire. Paire.
Paire is definitely my number 1, currently on tour.

The tekkers is a joke on the forehand and sick on the backhand.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Paire. Paire. Paire.
Backhand is surely better than forehand, but not that abyss of difference. His forehand has pretty good power too, but not that accurate, probably in good part because of his unorthodox style of play.

Around 18 seconds.

Around 32 seconds.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Backhand is surely better than forehand, but not that abyss of difference. His forehand has pretty good power too, but not that accurate, probably in good part because of his unorthodox style of play.

Around 18 seconds.

Around 32 seconds.
No Emotion is right it's Paire his FH is barely top 500

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Carpet, look at his forehand's technique, it's not even a good technique. It's stiff and almost John McEnroe like, he doesn't really flex at the elbow.

In these videos he was hitting the forehand better than normally, but really there's far too much that can go wrong with that technique in tight match situations. It's no wonder he chokes so frequently.

...and he's losing more and more because players are just peppering his forehand now, having heard in the locker rooms what he's all about and dependent on.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Paire has weird FH motion, and in FH to FH exchanges it's a comedy shot, but he can produce some absolutely sick pass shots from that wing.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Carpet, look at his forehand's technique, it's not even a good technique. It's stiff and almost John McEnroe like, he doesn't really flex at the elbow.

In these videos he was hitting the forehand better than normally, but really there's far too much that can go wrong with that technique in tight match situations. It's no wonder he chokes so frequently.

...and he's losing more and more because players are just peppering his forehand now, having heard in the locker rooms what he's all about and dependent on.
Well, agree the technique is quite bizarre.

But technique being strange/poor/unorthodox doesn't mean necessarily the stroke will be bad. Dolgopolov has a bizarre forehand, even Nadal has a strange technique on the forehand. You can't teach Nadal forehand to a kid and say that is the proper way to hit a forehand, can you?

But I agree Ben's backhand is better than forehand. I just can't see his forehand being top 500 as some posters here say.

Paire has weird FH motion, and in FH to FH exchanges it's a comedy shot, but he can produce some absolutely sick pass shots from that wing.
:yeah:

Yes, like I said, maybe it's because of this unorthodox style of opting for the backhand as primary shot. :smoke:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Cipolla...not that his forehand is anything special, but he is probably the only pro tennis player who doesn't know how to his a topspin/flat bh, has to slice like every time

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Well, agree the technique is quite bizarre.

But technique being strange/poor/unorthodox doesn't mean necessarily the stroke will be bad. Dolgopolov has a bizarre forehand, even Nadal has a strange technique on the forehand. You can't teach Nadal forehand to a kid and say that is the proper way to hit a forehand, can you?

But I agree Ben's backhand is better than forehand. I just can't see his forehand being top 500 as some posters here say.

:yeah:

Yes, like I said, maybe it's because of this unorthodox style of opting for the backhand as primary shot. :smoke:
I know I know.

But his technique is weird and the production / result of the shot with it is shit in addition. So therefore the technique is bad. lol

I just think he couldn't learn the text-book way and his weird way just doesn't work for him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts