Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's Roger. I think he speaks very intelligent and insightful and his accent is so beautiful. I can't tell if he's not a native speaker from the way he speaks English. I'm not a native speaker of the English language, so I might be wrong, but Federer speaks English very well. I think Djokovic is also prett close. He knows a lot of educated vocabulary. Though he has some strange accent, the way he puts words together to make sentences is quite native like, right? I like Zverev and Dimitrov. They're young and might have grown up in English speaking communities or something. At least, I can't help wondering if they really grew up in the countries that their nationalities suggest. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts
Have you seen interviews with every non-native-English player that is ranked or seen them speaking, before coming to this conclusion that once again places Federer at the center of something?
Here is the list

1. Jack Sock
2. Malvinluisandy
3. Heya
4. Baby Yoda
5. Nadal 2008

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Out of the top guys I'd say Zverev sounds the closest to a native accent probably because he spent so much time training in the US while growing up. Roger still has a subtly non-native accent but I'd say he's still a more eloquent speaker than Zverev even if Zverev's accent is more native sounding. Djokovic's English is great but still quite accented which is not a bad thing anyway.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Imagine Federer speaking like Nadal.
Imagine him saying things like “I have to try my best to win this match no?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Federer speaks English as a native tongue. His mother is South African and raised him speaking English.

Among the players for whom English is a second language, I'd say it's a tie between Novak and Grigor. Even when Novak started on tour, his English was excellent. After all these years, his English is perfect. Grigor's English is just as good, although in a different way. Grigor's English sounds more colloquial; Novak's more educated.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Why does everything have to be a competition? ;)

There are so many variables here:

1) Did either of your parents speak English?
2) At what age did you first start learning English?
3) How much have you had to use your English?
4) Other than your parents, does anyone else close to you speak English well?
5) How much time have you spent in English-speaking countries?
6) How often is English used in the country that you grew up in, and/or in the country that you're currently living in?

Anyway, while I think it's fine to applaud the English of those players who speak it pretty well, I don't think there need to be any official rankings in this area or anything. :cool:

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Im more interested in what players whose mother tongue is English speak any other language at all?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
You'd be forgiven for thinking Dimitrov was an American listening to him.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of you mentioned Nadal, but when I first herad him speak English in an interview, I couldn't recognize him speaking English. I thought he was speaking his native language, no? Anyway, Kei Nishikori, the idol from my native country speaks English petty well, doesn't he? Part of the reason is that he has been staying in Florida since he moved there at the age of 13 or 14. I can't tell if he's a native speaker of English or not anymore. Nishioka speaks English well, too, if not as well as Nishikori. By the way, on women's tour, Naomi Osaka, depite having been born and grown up until 3 in Japan and , speaks perfect English.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
By the way, on women's tour, Naomi Osaka, depite having been born and grown up until 3 in Japan and , speaks perfect English.

Nothing special about that. ;) I had a friend in college who was born in India but moved to the U.S. when she was 4. She spoke perfect English. It's to be expected.

It's all about how young you were when you first started and how much practice you get. If you move to an English-speaking country when you're a young child and live there until you're an adult, most likely you're going to speak perfect English.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Im more interested in what players whose mother tongue is English speak any other language at all?

Well, if they're American, and their family has been established in the U.S. a long time, they're unlikely to be proficient in a foreign language. ;)

Sadly, in the U.S., there's very little emphasis on learning foreign languages. For instance, when I was in 4th grade, I had a chance to take a year of Spanish. Unfortunately, we moved twice after that, and I never had a chance to take a foreign language again until high school. Most school districts just don't offer that before high school.

I've heard that it's not unusual for Americans who have studied 8 years or more of French to get laughed at in Paris. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts