Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sampras is pretty much up there, but I think Krajicek takes the prize. It's the only way he could have beaten Sampras at Wimbledon. He's sooo tall, sooo cool, and has such a monster serve that he's definitely scary.

As for the least intimidating, I think Jarrko takes that prize.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would say anyone that has a huge serve like Sampras, Phillippousis(sp?), etc....and all those who are thick in build...Mentally, I would say Hewitt...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suppose by record. rep. & respect it would be Sampras & Agassi. By knowing you were in for a scrap, it would be Hewitt. By sheer scareiness I would cast a vote for Rusedski. This is less intimidation than awareness. I think they all know that any of them can beat anyone else on the tour. Anyone on any given day sort of thing.

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
Sampras for sure.once Sanguinetti said that when Sampras enters in the locker room players watch at him with lots of respect,like they r intimidated by him,not for what he says or what he does..just cos there is Sampras!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Pistol Pete has that awesome serving motion~ just imagine being on the receiving end watch the missile ready to launch. I reckon Pat Rafter should have won Wimbledon 2000, but in the final against Sampras he simply choked(up 1 set & 4-1 in 2nd tiebreak) because 'the machine' was present. I agree that Rusedski is a little scary, simply because he's such an agro d...head, and easy to imagine a punch up in the locker room. If you play Hewitt you can't afford to have any concentration lapses, because Rocky will keep rolling until the final punch... a la perfect lob shot***!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hewitt, i think he has developed an aora like the one Hingis had,
she doesnt intimidate physically, but spiritually, if he wins
a few Slams next yr and become a strong #1, then you
will see what i mean......

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I agree with you fhkung that Hewitt is develping 'aura'* and especially if he wins another slam this year. Hingis on the other hand i disagree, ever since French Open 99 - where she chocked against Graf, we have seen her constantly lose the important matches. For Hingis's career she is 5:8 in Grand Slam finals, which means she hasn't capitalised on her opportunites. Sampras- the king of 'aura' is of course 14:4 in GS finals, and then Agassi with a 7:6 GS final record certainly has his share of intimidation. Boris Becker with a 6:4 tally was the biggest intimidator of the previous generation. Hewitt is still too young at 21 yrs to have the same reputation of past greats but he's 2:0 in GS finals & 2:0 in TMS finals - so definitely he's building a nice reputation~ as someone who can get things done under pressure. Just my opinion, but the way players handle the big occassions, especially slam finals - that's what gives them the confidence & psychological advantage over other players, before a ball has even been struck. Because everyone watches those big matches, and it sticks in the memory that someone went all the way.... ps. I hope Safin nails a few more slams, it would be good for Hewitt to have a true rival - similiar to the Sampras/Agassi, Becker/Edberg, Mac/Connors legacy!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think Sampras and Agassi, because of their records and what they have done in their careers. Sampras has already been mentioned, but Agassi is one too. When Clement had to play Agassi in the final of the Aus Open he kept saying he didnt want to think he was playing Agassi the legend but had to think of him as just another player. He ended up losing in straight sets anyway, so i suppose he was intimidated a little, and other players must have been too, if they have to consciously think of Agassi as just another player.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sampras, I remember an interview of Marat where he commented that during Pete's domination of the tour his opponent knew already that he's doomed. Pete's opponent could only wish that he woke up in the wrong side of the bed or he's having a very bad hair day (?) to have a 50/50 chance!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd say Ivanisevic - huge serve and a personality that always dominated the match whether he's winning or not. Whoever he plays, it always seems as though the result depends primarily on him and not his opponent and all eyes are on his next move. Sampras is (or was) prolific but Ivanisevic has the enigma factor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Philippoussis , um if hes having a good day.... sit back and watch all the aces fly-by..

Sampras definately .... all round scary !!!

and Hewitt mentally , and frustratingly, although you feel like jumping the net and clobber him...

·
Registered
331 Posts
dick norman (i think that's his name) is pretty intimidating at 6'8

1 - 20 of 28 Posts