Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which one ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rome - Goffin saves a MP with a dead net cord winner, then breaks at 5-5 in the deciding set after saving a game point with another net cord. Tsonga would have faced Ferrer in QFs since Murray withdrew in R16.
Roland-Garros - Wawrinka beats him in 4 sets, after saving 16 of Tsonga's 17 break points. Afterwards, we learnt that Tsonga was injured in that match (he then withdrew from s'Hertogenbosch, Halle and Nottingham).
Wimbledon - Karlovic beats him 4 sets, Tsonga didn't lose his serve a single time. Worst of all, Tsonga should have won the 4th set if not for the umpire's mistake (Karlovic touched the ball twice on one of Jo's SPs).

In my opinion, the least frustrating one is against Wawrinka, because the latter saved most of BPs very well and we could argue Tsonga lost the 3rd set in the same way Wawrinka lost the 2nd. Still, as it's a Slam SF, it's the most important loss of course which means it's frustrating.

Overall I'd take Karlovic's loss as even more frustrating than Goffin's, because as lucky as the latter was, he did nothing wrong. It's close though, because Murray would have definitely beaten Tsonga in R16 in Wimbledon and also because against Goffin the lucky shot happened on a MP (while it was a SP against Karlovic).

Not the best year to be a Tsonga fan. :lol:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Obviously Wawrinka's match, because that was by far the most important. He had a great chance to win the match because Stan wasn't playing at his high level as vs. Fed or Nole. Of course, he probably would have gotten destroyed in the final, but you never know, anything can happen and he would still have probably a 5-10 % chance to win a maiden slam, and at age 30 he might never get another opportunity like that.

Goffin was only a mickey mouse masters tournament and pretty early in the tournament, so meh.

There's still a decent chance he would have lost to Karlovic in the 5th set, as he had 0 break points besides the game he actually broke in. He would still have gotten beaten by Murray, and even if he somehow upset Murray, he would still have to get by Fed and Nole, so no chance of a title.

FO match vs Wawrinka is easy choice, although the loss was in 4 sets with only 1 tiebreaker lost.

·
Bring it Home
20,495 Posts
Wawrinka's one, since it was probably his last chance of winning a slam.

PS I told you Tsonga isn't a great player on grass anymore. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wawrinka's one, since it was probably his last chance of winning a slam.

PS I told you Tsonga isn't a great player on grass anymore. :shrug:
No, you can't say that. Tsonga's ROS is probably not top 100 level, so it was obvious the outcome depended on Karlovic's level of serving. :shrug:
The only thing I expected from Tsonga was holding his serve, that's what he did during 4 sets.
By the way, even in 2011, Tsonga would have a hard time beating Karlovic with a FS% around 80%. Not to mention Tsonga actually won as much sets as Karlovic today.

·
29,637 Posts
Goffin probably.

Wawrinka's level at RG was great.
Karlovic is a toss-up of a match (although he was robbed obviously, it's not a result to be ashamed of)

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're still bitching about Karlovic? :spit:
About both him and the umpire. But if you want to talk about this incident again, read my posts in 'Karlovic is a cheat' and 'Karlovic def. Tsonga' threads.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Don't think much can be done when Karlovic is at 76% first serve on grass. Tsonga has a relatively weak return game, he always has and always will, so that situation he's always in trouble.

Ditto Wawrinka at RG, given he was carrying an injury that would mean he couldn't play the next 3 weeks, didn't play Queens/Halle then wd from Nottingham also.

·
Bring it Home
20,495 Posts
No, you can't say that. Tsonga's ROS is probably not top 100 level, so it was obvious the outcome depended on Karlovic's level of serving. :shrug:
The only thing I expected from Tsonga was holding his serve, that's what he did during 4 sets.
By the way, even in 2011, Tsonga would have a hard time beating Karlovic with a FS% around 80%. Not to mention Tsonga actually won as much sets as Karlovic today.
I didn't watched the match, just the 4th set TB. With his range and being a player who uses a double handed backhand, Tsonga should've been able to return at least 2 serves on that last TB. I couldn't believe he missed than one on the 9-9 point, after the foot fault called on Ivo. It was basically a normal 2nd serve and he readed well, but netted. :sad:

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't watched the match, just the 4th set TB. With his range and being a player who uses a double handed backhand, Tsonga should've been able to return at least 2 serves on that last TB. I couldn't believe he missed than one on the 9-9 point, after the foot fault called on Ivo. It was basically a normal 2nd serve and he readed well, but netted. :sad:
Yes it was a makeable shot for most players, but Tsonga is prone to terrible second serve returns, especially off the BH. Still, even if Wimbledon's stats are strange, Jo made 10 UEs in 4 sets. I can't blame him, considering his awful ROS, for losing to one of the two best servers of-all time having a wonderful FS% (almost 80%) and coming to the net all the time on grass.

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Tsonga tards making waves around the top 4 right now.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
If I were a Tsonga fan then today would have destroyed me. Not so much the double hit on set point because there was nothing he could do with that but the first two tie breakers were terrible. You're playing Karlovic and Jo is experienced enough to know how important they were with that kind of opponent and he went down early on both of them.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,324 Posts
Wimbledon. Losing 3 TBs against can't-win-TBs-to-save-my-life-Karlovic is pretty bad.
Stan - well he did favours there to stop Djokovic, and I don't think Tsonga could beat Djokovic there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts