Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
|
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can answer this question based on Rafter on late-90s US Open courts, or you can answer it based on Rafter on today's US Open courts.
Either way, I'm not talking about who would WIN, I'm just asking who would do best between Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Murray if they had to take on Rafter at the US Open.
I personally think Nadal would break Rafter's serve more than anyone, regardless of court-speed.
And if Rafter chipped and charged to try to pressurize Nadal's service game, Nadal would have the necessary passing shots (the best in the game) to hold serve throughout.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
And obviously Nadal is your favorite player. What a surprise!

·
Registered
596 Posts
On those faster courts, Murray's ROS and ability to redirect pace makes him the best option. Then add on the lobs and passing shots.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
If you mean in their current form, obviously Djokovic.
The difference in level between him and the others right now would overcome any match-up quirks that might otherwise put one of the others ahead.

If you mean peak to peak, obviously Federer, he'd leave Pat in ruins just like he would basically everyone else ever at the USO.

Sampras/Connors would be the only ones with a chance to even take it to five IMO.

·
Bring it Home
20,351 Posts
Most of the top 20 players would beat Rafter quite easily these days in today's USO courts.

But with 90's racquets and string technology I think he would be very tough to beat by any player of the 80's not named Federer.

·
|
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/rafter-intimidated-me-federer-20110624-1gjms.html
It is difficult to believe now but Roger Federer, the winner of 16 grand slam titles, says he was once greatly intimidated by Australia's Pat Rafter. The six-time Wimbledon champion conceded he was hampered early in his career by giving too much respect to established players such as Rafter.

Federer was still a teenager when he was drawn against the Queenslander, then at the height of his powers, in the first round of the French Open in 1999 and cited the match as an example of his past mental weakness. He said he was reminded of the encounter by a discussion he had with Rafter at Wimbledon on Thursday.

''I was up a set and I was just 18 years old and I wasn't expected to win,'' he said. ''I think I got broken in the second set and I was like 'Oh, God, what am I doing?'

''Next thing you know I'm losing 6-3, 6-0, 6-2. It was very mental. I had a lot of respect for the older generation who were already accomplished. Obviously stars like Pat were, for me, people I really looked up to, even though I knew I could beat them. Mentally I was not so solid.''

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Djokovic of course. Who else?

·
Registered
6,698 Posts

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Nadal, no?

·