Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Mark Philippoussis

Votes: 2 1.5%
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some amazing 21st century players. Some have had superb talent that rivals some of the all time greats. Others have been match point away from winning that coveted grand slam. Some have been ruined by injury, both physical and mental... Others have been stopped by all time greats.

Regardless, they are missing that coveted Grand Slam; heck Wawrinka got his slam, even Cilic.

So which of these players would you give a slam to, if given the chance. Can be any slam, but only one. (Yes I know some of these players are still active, but their chances aren't too likely)

Who has your say and where? For example: Tommy Haas, Wimbledon. David Ferrer, Roland Garros. Etc.

Only one ;)

1. David Nalbandian
2. Tommy Haas
3. Nikolay Davydenko
4. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga
5. Tomas Berdych
6. Fernando Gonzalez
7. David Ferrer
8. Sebastian Grosjean
9. Guillermo Coria
10. Tim Henman
11. Mark Philippoussis

Look I'm probably forgetting one, but don't get too up in arms :angel:

Poll incoming.

·
Registered
22,158 Posts
Re: Which of these slamless 21st century players, would you "Gift" a slam to?

None of them.

The only person I would gift a slam to is you Kowchi

·
Registered
6,181 Posts

Of course, Nalbandian. Then Davydenko
PS. Ferret in the poll :lol: He should be happy with his fluke undeserved masters

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

Of course I have to say Ferrer, Roland Garros.

My runner-up choice is Tsonga, Roland Garros.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Every single player there deserves a slam as much as Cilic if not more.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts

Mimic.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts

Look I'm probably forgetting one, but don't get too up in arms :angel:

Poll incoming.
This mod :facepalm: Why isn't Soderking in the poll? Two consecutive French Open campaigns reaching F, unfortunately beating the 'wrong people'. He beat Nadal, the 2010 champion in 2009 R4, and beat Federer the 2009 champion in 2010 SF. He was also unlucky that Haas was not able to beat Federer from 2 sets up in their R4 encounter in 2009. To date Federer has not beaten Nadal at RG even after 5 attempts, while Soderling is the sole person now asides from Djokovic to have done it and on his first attempt. Not only this but Soderling backed up that run by reaching the F yet again, but that time Nadal turned up trumps. Then mono had to affect him (and Federer managed to recover...). Urrgh. Just a horrible ending to the stuff of fairytales.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts

Coria - Roland Garros

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Coria, Nalbandian, Soderling, Berdych :sobbing:

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts

Tim Henman and I would gift him the Grand Slam.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Davydenko deserves an AO. Assuming he wasn't in on the match fixing crap.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

This mod :facepalm: Why isn't Soderking in the poll? Two consecutive French Open campaigns reaching F, unfortunately beating the 'wrong people'. He beat Nadal, the 2010 champion in 2009 R4, and beat Federer the 2009 champion in 2010 SF. He was also unlucky that Haas was not able to beat Federer from 2 sets up in their R4 encounter in 2009. To date Federer has not beaten Nadal at RG even after 5 attempts, while Soderling is the sole person now asides from Djokovic to have done it and on his first attempt. Not only this but Soderling backed up that run by reaching the F yet again, but that time Nadal turned up trumps. Then mono had to affect him (and Federer managed to recover...). Urrgh. Just a horrible ending to the stuff of fairytales.
I agree with this. I was never a fan per se, but if any of these players deserves a particular slam it's Soderling with RG. Djokovic beating 2015dal is irrelevant really, Soderling is the only person to beat Peak/Prime Nadal there and he should be remembered as such. Then of course backed it up with two finals. 2009 Soderling would effortlessly straight set 2015dal, who is just pathetic to watch at times.

·
Premium Member
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yep I forgot Soderling. Shoot me.

·
Premium Member
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Also Ferrer leading the poll over Nalbandian and Davydenko

·
54,681 Posts

Also Ferrer leading the poll over Nalbandian and Davydenko
That's almost heretical. Ferrer's RG came with such a good draw (and had a fatigued Robredo who played 3 back to back five setters against Sijsling, Monfils and Almagro), and Tsonga in SF and had Nadal playing a gruelling 5 sets over Djokovic. Until Ferrer beats a top 4 (apart from Nadal) at a slam to reach semi final/final, I don't consider him slamworthy. Ferrer still hasn't registered a win over Federer either.

I'd even say Berdych deserves it more on the basis of beating Federer and Djokovic back to back at Wimbledon 2010.

·
Registered
22,158 Posts

That's almost heretical. Ferrer's RG came with such a good draw (and had a fatigued Robredo who played 3 back to back five setters against Sijsling, Monfils and Almagro), and Tsonga in SF and had Nadal playing a gruelling 5 sets over Djokovic. Until Ferrer beats a top 4 (apart from Nadal) at a slam to reach semi final/final, I don't consider him slamworthy. Ferrer still hasn't registered a win over Federer either.

I'd even say Berdych deserves it more on the basis of beating Federer and Djokovic back to back at Wimbledon 2010.
I think it's because posters are interpreting this thread as not the one who deserves it most out of the list, but who would they prefer to be a slam winner out of those in the list, because they like him more, etc.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

Nalbandian.

He should have won US Open 2003 if not for external factors in the SF vs Roddick. i.e. being trolled and abused by unruly despicable crowd.

·
54,681 Posts

I think it's because posters are interpreting this thread as not the one who deserves it most out of the list, but who would they prefer to be a slam winner out of those in the list, because they like him more, etc.
I have tried to goodrep you three times today for some outstanding truthful posts but it only lets me once :sad:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

That's certainly what I thought it meant. The OP doesn't ask "who deserves a Slam most", it asks "which of these players would you give a slam to, if given the chance".

1 - 20 of 122 Posts