Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which of these players can still win a slam?

• Hewitt

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Baghdatis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tsonga

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Murray

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • Söderling

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Del Potro

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Berdych

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Ferrer

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Wawrinka

Votes: 25 61.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For over 9 years, since Safin defeated Hewitt in the 2005 Australian Open, one or both of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer have amazingly been in every slam final.

Which of these other slam finalists/winners do you think can still win a slam?

Hewitt
Baghdatis
Tsonga
Murray
Söderling
Del Potro
Berdych
Ferrer
Wawrinka

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Apart from Murray, I can't see anyone in that list winning a(nother) Slam. Back in 2012, I would have said del Potro, Tsonga and maybe Berdych have a small chance.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Berdych has no chance, he ruined his career and is a huge mug, disgrace to the sport

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always had hope that Robin Söderling could come back strong and win one, but sadly, I no longer think it is likely.

There are a few other players here that may be done, but won't be forgotten.

Juan is still a young man. I think he can still do it as the others age. So unfortunate for him to have had those wrist problems. Might have cost him at least 3-4 major finals, but we will never know for sure. Some of the others need things to fall into place for them.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,064 Posts
Hewitt - probably the least possible IMO (well, maybe except Baggy, at least on their forms) but he does have good wins against top players from time to time on Slams but of course can't string 7 wins.
Baghdatis - he seems so out of form, that it would take a miracle revival of his game to get a good shot.
Tsonga - I would've said possible last year (SF in RG) but it seems he is a little bit declining this year. let us see if this year is just a snag or he really is not in QF form in Slams now.
Murray - in the remaining years probably the best chance I think that is he recovers well from this year. that being said, the young guns could catch up.
Söderling - being so out for a long time I really can't see him in top form (and even then, we are not even sure if he returns).
Del Potro - must be more consistent on Slams because it really seems to be his bump with the random losses here or there. maybe the surgery could help him big as he is quite young compared to the others.
Berdych - with his last Wimbledon performance I am really not sure. he seems to have the game, and is trying to get better and better but his champion's mentality is not there.
Ferrer - as seen recently his consistent game seems to be lacking, and while he had good matches against Nadal and Djokovic recently on Clay, I am not sure if it is enough for this.
Wawrinka - based on current form he probably has the best chance IMO, but he is so inconsistent, and could lose if he has an off game (especially on serving). also he is not getting younger which means this good form probably would only be there for a while.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hewitt: Too old. I can't see him even reaching a QF anymore.
Bagdhatis : He is only the shadow of himself anymore. I don't think so.
Tsonga : Maybe with a could draw at wimbledon with a couple of top guys going out early.
Murray : He still have many slams in him. At least I hope.
Soderling : I don't think he will ever come back to be honest :(.
Del Potro : Yes.
Berdych : No. He can't beat Nadal/Djoko and I believe even Fed would routine him in a slam final.
Ferrer : No. It would requires him to be in good form, Fed/Nadal/Djoko to go out early in slam preferably the FO where he is better than Murray.
Wawrinka : Yes.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Hewitt- no chance. Perhaps he could beat a top player but I don't see him making deep runs in any slam from now on.
Baggy- again, no chance. His best form has long gone.
Tsonga- I don't think so :( A few years ago I would have said he might get a couple but his recent form really isn't encouraging.
Murray- I think he can win at least one more, Wimbledon being the most probable.
Soderling- sadly not. If he does come back, I don't see him ever regaining his top form.
Del Potro- if he recovers well from surgery and stays fit, then why not? He is capable of beating anyone when in form.
Berdych- no. His mentality just isn't good enough to win a slam and his record against Nadal and Djoko is awful. Maybe if he faced Murray in a final but even then he might not have the nerve.
Ferrer- no way. He bends over for the big guys, especially Nadal. Embarrassing lack of belief. Maybe against Andy in a FO final but that would be his only shot.
Wawrinka- if he has his AO winning form, absolutely he could.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Del Porto and Wawrinka are the only players that have a slight chance of winning another one.

The other players are finished as contenders, they won't even get close winning a slam/ another slam.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
As the poll indicates, only Murray, Wawrinka, and Del Potro have any chance. I think Murray still has the best chances out of these players and would be surprised if he never won another one. Wawrinka has some chance, but not much. Del Potro even less so.

·
23,064 Posts
It is funny that the Top 3 choices for the non-Big Three players are those who got Slams during that triopoly period, which is logically correct, even though in the case of Stan and Del Po they seem less consistent in Slams than Ferrer and Berdych. That being said, I have read in one blog that Stan won AO by being "inconsistent", which means I think putting risk that you wouldn't make normally. You have to get to that next level from time to time to really have a chance on Slams it seems. I hope there were more peak players that are capable of doing that.

·
Registered
57,601 Posts
Murray easily could, 50-50, too early to write off yet, Wawrinka has maybe a 25-30% chance, del Potro close to the same, Ferrer and Tsonga chances but small ones as Tsonga seems in steep decline with physical issues galore and Ferrer is significantly worse off of clay and indoor hard and has mentally completely lost it, Hewitt and Baghdatis no chance whatsoever. Berdych has a better chance than Ferrer or Tsonga but probably lacks the belief. Soderling is a wild card, if he comes back and is 2010-2011 Soderling he probably would now but that seems unlikely.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Only Wawrinka and Berdych have an outside chance for the simple reason that they're still playing at an elite level - not a great chance at all though. The others are a mix of 'washed up' and 'never that good to begin with'. I guess we can give del Potro the benefit of the doubt until we see how he comes back, but odds are he too will never get near a Slam again sadly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts