Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Small bump, no worries!

Votes: 19 43.2%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer lost his first set ever to Niemo today, While Djokovic was taken to 5 all in the third by 31 year old Malisse the day before. Is there anything to be worried about for our top seeds?

Don't we wish Basel hadn't forced Murray out?;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i'm shocked, they both should have been extremely sharp, and 1st round wins that aren't breezes usually mean terrible things later on
overall, it's certainly worthy of another few topics

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you take into account Federer's performance vs Starace then it most definitely is Malisse/Djokvoic in terms of "shock factor". And I am indeed taking Federer's first round apperance into account, and thus voting Djokovic/Malisse

If I were to choose before the tournament, then i'd say Fed/Jarrko. But, after Federer nearly blew the first set vs Starace I will go with the first "near upset" as more alarming. That said, neither struggle shocked me, nor should it be worrisome, as having a mild struggle after taking a long absence is expected.

Either way, there is no conspiracy to keep Murray out of the tournament. The tournament directors would have loved to see Murray compete.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm shocked, they both should have been extremely sharp, and 1st round wins that aren't breezes usually mean terrible things later on
overall, it's certainly worthy of another few topics
Fed-Niemo was 2nd round, get it straight. Also, :wavey:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you take into account Federer's performance vs Starace then it most definitely is Malisse/Djokvoic in terms of "shock factor". And I am indeed taking Federer's first round apperance into account, and thus voting Djokovic/Malisse

If I were to choose before the tournament, then i'd say Fed/Jarrko. But, after Federer nearly blew the first set vs Starace I will go with the first "near upset" as more alarming. That said, neither struggle shocked me, nor should it be worrisome, as having a mild struggle after taking a long absence is expected.

Either way, there is no conspiracy to keep Murray out of the tournament. The tournament directors would have loved to see Murray compete.
Did you miss the winky face?:eek:

·
A happy person
44,895 Posts
Well.. I think Fed & Nole was nothing compared to their Wimby's start in last year. :p But if I want to say something, it was Djokovic's first match after injury so understandable that had a little problem, I was more shocked when Federer lost the second set.. His first match was okay, same with the first set at Nieminen's match and that second was totally unexpected for me.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Playing first tourney indoor probably takes a while for the players to get used to especially after a long break of 6 weeks or so.Although Federer won Stockholm last year i remember he was pretty average then but got better playing more matches.Same goes this year for both Federer and Djokovic.Getting a few ugly wins on board to get some rhythm and both guys should be fine for the WTF.

·
Registered
258 Posts
whatever, a near upset isn't an upset.

Federer and Djokovic could be 10 matchpoints down in every round but they'd still be guaranteed to make the final.

They're 2 of the big 3 - you'd be retarded if you didn't think that them making the final easily is a lock.

No matter how badly they play they are invincible to everyone else - that is the definition of being a great tennis player.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Murray pulling out was the biggest upset. This tournament is back to being one big sham now.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Out of the two, probably the Fed one, considering he'd never lost a set to sharko. Novak struggling was a given, he is not Jesus to come back and immediately set the world alight.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic tells reporters in Basel that the back problems he suffered after he won the U.S. Open was the worst injury of his career. "I'm only just back from the biggest injury of my career. It was a big task for me to have played really well," said the Serbian after beating Xavier Malisse 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 in the first round. "I could do nothing for four-and-a-half weeks, I've only been hitting for a week-and-a-half. That's not enough to play at my best. I've lost rhythm".

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic tells reporters in Basel that the back problems he suffered after he won the U.S. Open was the worst injury of his career. "I'm only just back from the biggest injury of my career. It was a big task for me to have played really well," said the Serbian after beating Xavier Malisse 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 in the first round. "I could do nothing for four-and-a-half weeks, I've only been hitting for a week-and-a-half. That's not enough to play at my best. I've lost rhythm".
I know this is off-topic, but I still can't believe he made the decision to play that Davis Cup match against Del Potro...he should have just rested up after beating Rafa for a 6th consecutive time in a final and winning the US Open, he should have been resting, hopefully he learns from this.

Back ON TOPIC, I'd say Federer losing a set to Nieminen was more alarming than Nole's struggle against Malisse, I expected Nole to struggle after being out for 6 weeks, and his last match before that is surely one he wished he never played and forget about, from memory, Nole was up 4-1 in the 3rd set against X-man, then it got to 5-5, and then we know what happened after that...

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

Novak should have stayed home and rested, he had a great enough season. :hug:

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
Federer lost his first set ever to Niemo today, While Djokovic was taken to 5 all in the third by 31 year old Malisse the day before. Is there anything to be worried about for our top seeds?

Don't we wish Basel hadn't forced Murray out?;)
Oh yes. ;) Sky Sports will be crying a river after switching their coverage from Valencia to Basel on the strength of his appearance. :lol: Such a shame they'll have to make do with only Federer and Djokovic...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I believe him...he's been playing insane tennis for most of the season

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murray pulling out was the biggest upset. This tournament is back to being one big sham now.
I was taking that as a given. Now that someone fed Andy poison Swiss chocolates and forced him to withdraw, the tournament is a hollow pageant.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts