Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which Nadal's defeats in 2015 to a top 10 player are your favourite/most significant?

• Berdych def. Nadal AO QF, 6-2 6-0 7-6(5)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Raonic def, Nadal IW QF 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Murray def. Nadal Madrid F 6-3 6-3

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Wawrinka def, Nadal Rome QF 7-6(7) 6-2

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Djokovic def. Nadal RG QF 7-5 6-3 6-1

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Nishikori def. Nadal Montreal QF 6-2 6-4

Votes: 7 17.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We know that Nadal has for the most part struggled against a variety of different players outside the top 20 giving him tough contests. However, this year has seen quite a turnaround in Nadal's grasp over certain top 10 players who he once dominated, on a variety of different surfaces. Which of the following wins do you considered most significant, or a favourite to you? (Can pick multiple options on poll. NB. I made mistake on Murray scoreline should be 6-3 6-2 in poll)

1) Berdych def. Nadal (AO QF 2015) 6-2 6-0 7-6(5).
Nadal had won their previous 17 matches. Berdych made quite a strong statement with first two sets being an absolute rout. Nadal stopped some of the rot in the final set, but Berdych held his nerve to clinch the match in a close TB.

2) Raonic def. Nadal (IW QF 2015) 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5.
Raonic started off clumsily and Nadal was pretty solid off the baseline and had break chances for an easy straight sets win. Raonic rallied, staved off MPs in the TB and ended up winning it. Raonic's first win over Nadal in 6 tries

3) Murray def. Nadal (Madrid F 2015) 6-3 6-2.
Nadal hastily showed Andy the door in their previous clay encounter at RG 2014, 6-3 6-2 6-1. But this time Andy came trumps with aggressive play forcing lots of errors from Nadal in front of Nadal's home crowd.

4) Wawrinka def. Nadal (Rome QF 2015) 7-6(7) 6-2.
Having faced Nadal on clay before several times, losing all of these in straight sets, Wawrinka knew a tough task lay ahead if he were to pull an upset. Nadal had the first set under control but couldn't hold the momentum. In the first set TB, Nadal even had 4 set points 6-2 up but failed to capitalise, and would lose 7 of the next 8 points played to forfeit the TB 9-7. The rest of the match went firmly Wawrinka's way. Only Wawrinka's second victory over Nadal (over being AO 2014 F)

5) Djokovic def. Nadal (RG QF 2015) 7-5 6-3 6-1.
Nadal had bested his rival many times at RG, having won their closely contested 2012-2014 encounters in 4 and 5 sets, and there were high stakes for both players for different reasons. For Nadal it was a chance to redeem a forgettable year since Wimbledon 2014, and for Djokovic to finally overcome the demons at RG and further cement his already convincing no.1 ranking. Nadal looked out going down 4-0 early on in the first set, but managed a double break comeback to level, but Djokovic tightened the screws to win the set. Another break would prove crucial in second set, before Djokovic closed the door with a convincing final set, ending on MP with a DF from Nadal. Only the second loss for Nadal at RG.

6) Nishikori def. Nadal (Rogers Cup, Montreal QF 2015) 6-2 6-4.
Nishikori came seeking revenge for a title that painfully eluded him in Madrid the previous year and a chance to continue building form in preparation for a finalist defense of USO. Having not beaten Nadal once in 7 attempts, this was his chance to finally put the hoodoo to rest and show why he was ranked 4 in the world. Nishikori hit out the blocks quickly, snuffing out an early break opportunity for Nadal, then proceeded to win the set with two double breaks on the back of some aggressive returning, immaculate serving and on top of the baseline control. Nishikori quickly took two double breaks in the second set but Nadal did well to recover one of these breaks but ultimately could not salvage the match.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
LOL. Novak at RG of course. It is not debatable at all.

·
Registered
21,782 Posts
Mine favourite is Wawrinka def Nadal 7-6 6-2

Because it was really nice to see Stan get a win over a fit Nadal finally, and I found those asterisk(which has thankfully stopped after RG) comments from Nadal tards very annoying, so it was nice to see Stan backing up his win. Especially against a player he really struggled with.
And I enjoyed the match a lot. Stan played well.

·
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine favourite is Wawrinka def Nadal 7-6 6-2

Because it was really nice to see Stan get a win over a fit Nadal finally, and I found those asterisk(which has thankfully stopped after RG) comments from Nadal tards very annoying, so it was nice to see Stan backing up his win. Especially against a player he really struggled with.
And I enjoyed the match a lot. Stan played well.
Definitely one of my favourites too. Also given how erratic Stan is in Masters one would think he'd break down sooner or later and things seemed dire after going down 6-2 in the TB. But he saved each of them with a winner and after that took complete control.

·
29,637 Posts
In terms of level of play, Wawrinka in Rome was the best IMO- he actually went and hit a truckload of winners from behind in the TB, nothing Nadal did wrong to be honest. Then he played big time tennis on all the break points he faced in set 2.

Madrid final and last night were satisfying ones, too mind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wawrinka def Nadal because it probably gave Stan the confidence to beat Dullovic at the French Open :)haha: still laughing about the final)

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Most significant was no doubt Berdych. The complete reversal of historical form with a 3 set beating and bagel was indicative of what Nadal's 2015 level would be.

Nole's victory at RG was NID with Nadal nowhere near the level needed.

There was no favorite for me.
I am a fan of great tennis, and Nadal's level in these matches sadly did not contribute towards producing great tennis. :sad:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most significant was no doubt Berdych. The complete reversal of historical form with a 3 set beating and bagel was indicative of what Nadal's 2015 level would be.

Nole's victory at RG was NID with Nadal nowhere near the level needed.

There was no favorite for me.
I am a fan of great tennis, and Nadal's level in these matches sadly did not contribute towards producing great tennis. :sad:

Respectfully,
masterclass
I would have to agree here because of the manner in which it occurred. Nadal was already showing some signs of struggle with a long five setter in R2 against Tim Smyczek, which he scraped through barely. But he recovered to win and beat Sela and Anderson in straights. So it was thought now, he's got Berdych, who has not beaten Nadal for a straight 17 matches, Nadal might get to the SF as that's got to hold up as a really bad matchup. But Berdych lost only 2 games in the first two sets in an arena he is used to playing well at, and finally Nadal could sense vulnerability in his game.

My favourite would be Nishikori beating Nadal tonight. Fans were split, Nadal fans say Nishikori has nothing on Nadal here, and mainly predicted Kei would get through in 3 sets or have mental collapses allowing Nadal to win, but I knew it would be a fairly routine match for Kei if he plays his natural game, got to be a strong confidence booster for him. Behind that, Wawrinka would be a favourite.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
The Montreal one is my favourite because it shows the US Open will be saved from dying this year.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Raonic's one because it stopped Nadal from gaining momentum, Murray's one for the same reason and also it showed how far he was from beating top 5 player. And Nishikori's one proved the same, so these 3.

·
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raonic's one because it stopped Nadal from gaining momentum, Murray's one for the same reason and also it showed how far he was from beating top 5 player. And Nishikori's one proved the same, so these 3.
So pretty much erased Nadal's aura of invincibility and progress. Of course lots of Nadal fans like to cite Nadal's 2013 season as vintage comeback Nadal, but this season so far will go down as quite a lull in the books for him.

·
Registered
29,240 Posts
Most significant? Nole def Dull RG and it's not even close.

Funniest losses was against Murray in Madrid and his second loss to Fogmeister (though not top 10).

·
53,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most significant? Nole def Dull RG and it's not even close.

Funniest losses was against Murray in Madrid and his second loss to Fogmeister (though not top 10).
I think people were wondering if this could be the year and Novak fans were disappointed about 2014 RG loss because Nadal's form or progress was fairly suspect during the 2014 clay season, losing to Ferrer in Qf at MC, Almagro in QF of Barcelona, then almost to Nishikori at Madrid and Djokovic to beat him at Rome. Thus it seemed PC might be the inconquerable clay backyard for Nadal. But second time proved to be the case and not only so, Nadal failed to win a set this time and lost the third set by a long scoreline.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Rafa is 2-7 against top 10 this year and He has defeated Berdych and Ferrer. The other defeat is to Djokovic at MC that is not listed in the poll.

Berdych def. Nadal AO QF, 6-2 6-0 7-6(5)
This defeat was not really impressive with Rafa very rusty and coming from losses to Coric, Klizan, Lopez and Berrer. Rafa defeated Berdych the next time they met. So it obviously feels like a one-off victory.

Raonic def, Nadal IW QF 4-6 7-6(10) 7-5
This was excellent match by Raonic and this is where Rafa's lack of confidence beamed so high. He was in a winning position in 2sets and he lost in 3! This was significant in a few ways to tell about Rafa's form and confidence but nothing more than that.

Djokovic def. Nadal RG QF 7-5 6-3 6-1
This defeat, though special for historical reasons, was plain and in straight sets. It was significant only for stats and records. Otherwise 90% of them knew this result the moment the RG draw came out. It has nothing to diminish Djokovic's performace, but the dire third set is a testimony to how quickly Rafa gave up in this match unlike Murray and Stan's match where he fought till the end.

Nishikori def. Nadal Montreal QF 6-2 6-4
This was also in a way general consensus among people that Kei will win in 3 if not two but the display was brilliant. Rafa fought hard till the end but finished second.

Murray def. Nadal Madrid F 6-3 6-3
Wawrinka def, Nadal Rome QF 7-6(7) 6-2

These two were just amazing in terms of tennis. Against Murray, Rafa got nothing to work with, Murray played a great match. The result was unexpected and this win to Rafa could have changed a few things later maybe.

The Wawrinka's loss has to be the most significant one! He was 6-2 in the TB and was brushed aside after that point. Absolutely nothing to work with and he was playing at better level and was coming of Final at Madrid. These two losses shattered his remaining confidence and doomed his ranking(He lost 820 points) and the blew his seed for RG.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I'd rank the most significant as follows:

1. RG defeat to Novak - doesn't really need any explanation.
2. AO defeat to Berdych - slaughtered Nadal's confidence from the very start. Beaten down badly by the guy who was so terrified of facing Nadal in Miami that he got a runny bottom. I think this was a game changer for Nadal, and also for other players taking note of the result.
3. Madrid defeat to Andy - Nadal seemed to be getting his game together, many were raving about how he beat Berd in the SF, a clay Masters title would have been a significant moment in his year, maybe the spark he needed... and then we saw what happened.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts