Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the "Big Four" have been dominating tennis for the past 8 ish years. In this time we have seen many epic matches and superb moments from all of them. Records have been broken, slams won a-plenty and trophy cases bloated beyond belief.

Regardless of 17 slams, 14 slams, 8 slams and 2 Slams, all of these players have had their mental lapses and moments wasted.

If each player had to take only one moment back in the history of their career, what would it be? Could be a set,a point, etc.

Federer:
Nadal:
Djokovic:
Murray:

Some of these seem obvious, but maybe there are different opinions among the fans.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Re: Which moment for the "Big Four", would they take back if given the chance?

Djokovic wins the 4th set TB against Federer in the RG'11 SF. From there he would presumably win the match in the 5th and go on to face Nadal in the final - who he owned that year. Worth remembering that Djokovic wouldn't have been under the same pressure in the final back then, as he wouldn't be going for the career slam - just his first slam outside AO.

With the monkey off his back, who knows what would have happened in subsequent years and how different the tennis landscape could be as a result.

·
Registered
59,021 Posts

RF- 4th set vs del Potro USO '09. The worst major choke of his career was this match and IMO it was the one that began his rather rapid decline in '10
RN- That backhand pass at AO '12. That match, after Djokovic let the fourth slip away from his grasp, was his chance to get in his head, and he failed
ND- The overhead vs Nadal of course. Had he made that shot, IMO he would have the career slam now (and probably USO '13 too)
AM- The toughest one to evaluate. But I'll go with losing to Verdasco at AO '09. That Slam was his chance to become top tier, and he blew it.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Mono Fed took the BP in the 5th Set against Nadal at Wimbledon 2008. That would have probably crushed Nadal's hopes so bad that after his inevitable 2009 injuries he would never recover and likely never win Wimbledon. The inevitable rise of Nole and the low ranked players to beat Nadal after 2011 would still keep him from having a Wimbledon title. Federer would have been 7 time defending champion by 2010 and effectively counteracted Nadal's clay dominance with his grass dominance over the years.

Another for Fed would be 0-40 on Nadal's serve in 4th set of FO 2011 Final. He missed all of those. He would have riden the momentum and Nadal would have been crushed mentally in that match.

Djokovic's djokosmash at *4-3 in 5th set in FO 2013 SF. It would have been AD Djokovic and then he would go on to win the game to make it 5-3. Only one more hold of serve or even a last break of serve would do it. That probably still haunts him to this day.

Nadal would probably be that backhand that went wide in the AO 2012 Final 5th set. He would have been up in that game which would further pressure Nole to stay in the match. He self destructed afterwards :devil:

Murray would 100% be this years AO final. He completely self destructed after being up a break in the 3rd set as he was carrying the momentum from winning the 2nd set tiebreak. He might have definitely wanted to take back that immediate loss of serve.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts

Federer: At least for me it should be Australian Open 2005, I know he have a lot of mental lapses USO 2009-2011, W 2011/2014, RG 2011, AO 2009
Nadal: Australian Open 2012
Djokovic: Roland Garros 2013

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

Djokovic: RG 2013 SF - no doubt about it. Change cheating umpire and that @#[email protected]^% net point.
Federer: Wimbledon 2008 - no comment needed.
Murray: AO 2010. would have been nice first slam.

Nadal: don't care. He won too much. Won undeservingly W 2010, USO 2010, 2013 and RG 2012, 2013 - these slams should be taken from him.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts

Federer: AO 2009 or RG 2011
Nadal: USO 2011
Djokovic: Wimbledon 2014, should have remembered his place and lost to Federer.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

Federer: AO 2009 or RG 2011
Nadal: USO 2011
Djokovic: Wimbledon 2014, should have remembered his place and lost to Federer.
Why do you hate Djokovic so much? Pathetic. Also, only one for Federer you muppet.

·
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Nadal hate has no bounds, as always :facepalm:

Anyways.

Federer: AUS 2005
Nadal: Wimby 2007. A winnable match, but Nadal was just not there mentally yet.
Djokovic: RG SF 2013
Murray: AUS 2010

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

Nadal: RG 09
Murray: AO 14
Federer: Wimbledon 08
Djokovic: Olympics 08

·
Banned
6,801 Posts

Nadal: Australian Open 2012 or 2014. It could be the second Career Slam for Nadal.
Djokovic: Roland Garros 2013 of course. It could be Career Slam for Djokovic.
Federer: Rome 2006. After match Federer has become Nadal's slave on clay. If he had won match things might have happened differently.
Murray: Wimbledon 2012. Murray had great chance to lead 2-0 in sets.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,534 Posts

Federer: Wimbledon 2008
Djokovic: RG 2013 net default
Nadal: AO 2012 in final set serving at 4-2, misses a BH pass. 2014 back spasm as well.
Murray: AO 2012 SF - this was the closest really he got to beating Novak in a close extended 5 sets battle (the other being USO 2012). Although tricky to see him get through Nadal...Possibly AO this year as well (even though he seemed outmatched after 2 sets). The first two sets were split tiebreaks. If Andy somehow ended up winning both of those TBs, Novak must win the next three which is trickier than winning 2.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Obviously the "Big Four" have been dominating tennis for the past 8 ish years. .
Be precise Loopchi, it is Big 3.

It you believe Murray has dominated Tennis, then surely Stan did, Cilic did and Ferrer did dominate too!

·
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Be precise Loopchi, it is Big 3.

It you believe Murray has dominated Tennis, then surely Stan did, Cilic did and Ferrer did dominate too!

I don't know about dominated but there has always been a gap between him and everyone else. Kind of why I put Big 4 in quotes, because I knew someone would argue Murray...

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

I don't know about dominated but there has always been a gap between him and everyone else. Kind of why I put Big 4 in quotes, because I knew someone would argue Murray...
Yeah, I don't know if I'd go for "dominated" either, but if the Big 3 are head & shoulders above the rest of the field, Murray is definitely at least shoulders above.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

Yeah, I don't know if I'd go for "dominated" either, but if the Big 3 are head & shoulders above the rest of the field, Murray is definitely at least shoulders above.
You mean he is head above. Head comes before shoulders, so shoulders above is the same thing as head and shoulders above.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

He never dominated Tennis actually plus he has just one more major than Cilic, Stan which makes him to belong more in group of Stan, Cilic etc than Fedalovic. Ya know, if Cilic somehow flukes another major probably Wimbledon, will you call him Big (5)?

Mentioning Murray along with other three real big players just because he has few more Masters than field is total waste of bandwidth and time imo.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

You mean he is head above. Head comes before shoulders, so shoulders above is the same thing as head and shoulders above.
...It's too late at night for me to figure this out. You knew what I meant. xD

1 - 20 of 48 Posts