Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which match should be on Chatrier ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's NID Federer/Monfils will be on Chatrier and Nishikori/Gabashvili on Lenglen or even Court 1. So which match do you think should be on Chatrier between Tsonga/Berdych and Simon/Wawrinka ? In France, Tsonga is more popular than Simon, so hopefully they schedule Jo on the main court.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
But wouldn't Tsonga benefit from faster conditions on SL in this match up? Berdych certainly got the edge in classic baseline rallies.

And obv. Simon would prefer the slower PC.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I'd say Tsonga/Berdych. Only thing is if Tsonga doesn't want it (Gasquet for instance was begging the organizers to keep him off Chatrier).

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But wouldn't Tsonga benefit from faster conditions on SL in this match up? Berdych certainly got the edge in classic baseline rallies.
I'm not sure, because Chatrier is a special court and Tsonga is more used to it than Berdych.
I don't think Berdych has ever won on Chatrier (against Gasquet in Davis Cup 2014, Monfils in RG 2013, Soderling in RG 2010...), so maybe he doesn't like this court.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Stronga over Simug. As much as I'm sure they'd love the Stanimal.

·
24,134 Posts
I don't think Berdych has ever won on Chatrier (against Gasquet in Davis Cup 2014, Monfils in RG 2013, Soderling in RG 2010...), so maybe he doesn't like this court.
I guess that is the caveat that the twist that Berdych hasn't won on PC that maybe it seems strategically sound to put Tsonga there (being already played there many times this tournament and with the DC atmosphere DC 2014-type thing could happen).

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Lenglen is the slower court and I'm sure Gilles would be happy to be there again. Let Monfils and Tsonga get the pressure and headlines on Chatrier and Gilles get on with his business on Lenglen.

Also both played their last matches on those respective courts for Tsonga and Gilles, so keep as is as they will be used to those courts.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Lenglen is the slower court and I'm sure Gilles would be happy to be there again. Let Monfils and Tsonga get the pressure and headlines on Chatrier and Gilles get on with his business on Lenglen.

Also both played their last matches on those respective courts for Tsonga and Gilles, so keep as is as they will be used to those courts.
While Lenglen is slower PC is bigger so there is more space to retrieve which is why for instance Nadal is almost unbeatable on PC

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Berdych is such a boring player, and Simon brings out the best in the french crowd and Wawrinka is a slam champ.

Simon v Wawrinka

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tsonga is not that popular in France, Chatrier was half empty for his match against Andujar, french fans prefer Monfils and Gasquet.
Tsonga is regularly in the top 10 of France's most popular sportsmen, while Gasquet has never been... :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts