Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
As many as Lucho Horna's wins on grass.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
None. Fatigue / injury prevention.

TMC is best-of-5 though.

i think that is one of the biggest miscalculations ever by atp. they took away the epic nature of those 5 setters. 5 setters are also great preparations for those out to win slams.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Introducing best of 3 set masters series finals right across the board has been a complete joke of a decision.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
i think that is one of the biggest miscalculations ever by atp. they took away the epic nature of those 5 setters. 5 setters are also great preparations for those out to win slams.
Yeah I don't particularly agree with it either, although I think the biggest problem is having back-to-back Masters events...split all of them up and bring best-of-5 back. But we can argue this to death anyway (already been done in other threads). :)

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Yeah I don't particularly agree with it either, although I think the biggest problem is having back-to-back Masters events...split all of them up and bring best-of-5 back. But we can argue this to death anyway (already been done in other threads). :)

they should think about getting rid of some hard court events. now that would have been a step in the right direction.

that is what is killing these players. the game is more demanding than ever and the vast majority of the tournaments are on hard courts.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could't they at least have a few 5 set finals? I guess you would have trouble selecting which event to make 5 sets and which to make 3, but still winning a Masters Series title is a big big achievement and it should be best of 5.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Agreed.

They should kill Madrid and replace it with Queens. That way there is one fewer hard court masters tournament.

Then you can put Estoril between Monte Carlo and Rome and then Barca between Hamburg and Rome.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Agreed.

They should kill Madrid and replace it with Queens. That way there is one fewer hard court masters tournament.

Then you can put Estoril between Monte Carlo and Rome and then Barca between Hamburg and Rome.

there will be one less hard court masters series event in 2009.

Madrid is going to clay. Hamburg is history and Monte Carlo is not mandatory.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
How many players are complaining about it though?
Of course, you fail to notice that your hero Federer has said there should be best of 5 finals.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
I've always wondered, why is there no ATP Masters Series event on grass before Wimbledon. There are 6 hardcourt Masters and 3 clay. From 2009 5 hardcourt and 4 clay, but still. Queen's is the tournament to become a Masters Series. Don't you guys agree?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think that Cincy doesn't deserve its masters series status or at least it should be made non mandatory. As of the 5-set finals, that's a great loss to tennis because best-of-three isn't as exciting .

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's only on Grand slam that finals are 5sets. Masters is only 2sets. It's better because imagine, bet of 5sets on masters, players would all have injury or something like that.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
ATP players are not made out of sugar, guys!

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Of course, you fail to notice that your hero Federer has said there should be best of 5 finals.
Well he's one player. Who else has spoken out on this? Seems to me the issue wasn't best of 5 finals but having certain masters events back-to-back. Of course it's much easier to switch from best of 5 to best of 3 than re-arrange the calendar.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I understand having all best-of-three finals this year, considering the Olympics and everything but in 2009 we have to have more best-of-fives. This can be done reasonably.

Indian Wells can stay at best-of-three, considering that Miami would be on cusp. After Miami, however, there's expected to be a bit of a break until Monte Carlo. Many Americans would stay behind and play Houston. Davis Cup would also be possible here. Either way there's some rest period - a best-of-five final is reasonable.

One of the three clay court masters should be a best-of-fiver. Preferably Rome. It's a big event - unlike Madrid it would also have some history in its favour. Monte Carlo is smaller and more compact and can remain a best-of-three (although I haven't enjoyed either of the past two finals because of this). I would imagine that there would be a week between Rome and Madrid, which would be a sufficient recovery period for the finalists. The sad fact is that the atp calendar will impose on us three consecutive weeks of Monte Carlo/Barcelona/Rome (in all likelihood), which will hurt Barcelona and eliminate any chances of a Monte Carlo best-of-five final.

Aside from these I would like to see Shanghai get a best-of-five final and for the year-end championships to maintain the best-of-five.

So I would be fairly satisfied if three Masters Series events had a best-of-five final, along with the Masters. I admit that I will miss the days when we had best-of-five finals in Barcelona, but that's probably behind us regardless of what happens.

The problem is that there are too many events. There is no reason for IW/Miami to take up a whole month. It's kind of silly that both of these are taking up two weeks a piece. The whole mini-slam charade is growing thin here.

I would also prefer for one of the clay Masters to be moved to the summer. I would support the canning of Cincinnati to make this happen. The summer clay stretch used to mean something. It should once more. Paris Indoor is a waste of time and should be scrapped or made non-mandatory. Players should be resting in the fall - the fact that we have three big events after the final major of the year is just too humorous to put into words.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts