Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which is your favorite tennis style?

• All court player (Ala Federer, Kohlschreiber, Tsitsipas, new balls generation)

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Aggressive shot makers(hit booming shots from baseline , Wawrinka m, Del Potro, Berdych)

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Serve and Volleyers

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Baseliners (Djokovic, Nadal )

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Grinders

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Servebots

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Talented clown/showman (hits highlight shot doesnt take seriously)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 15.2%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
11,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A simple thread. We all support different kinds of players and tennis styles.

Which ones are your favorite?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Nadal , Djokovic and Murray? I mean where would you put them or is there an option missing OR, may be you confused Golden Gen with new balls gen

·
11,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a fan of all court players, aggressive shotmakers, baseliners, and the talented clown showmen

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Well Fan , Fan I'm of All Court and S&V . I like some (few) Baseliners

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Grinders..

Monfils basically has it all.... conservative but attacks too and has tricks

Just mentally a clown

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
It's somewhere in between an aggressive shotmaker and an all-court player with a bit of serve and volleying.

One thing I'm sure of: I'm NOT a fan of boring pushers which you delicately called 'grinders' & 'baseliners'.

·
Banned
930 Posts
I like the errorless robots. Who get to every ball, play with a variety of shots or not and occasionally finish a point with a backhand down the line, a drop shot from far back of the court or an exquisite volley. And those who have a precise ball placement with their serve, generating lots of service winners or short rallyes.

I like to see those brainless ball punishers suffer under the stable mechanics of a well tempered and coordinated errorless robot with intelligence and flexibility.

So I love RBA, Ferrer, Djokovic, Nadal, Medvedev, there are few more but not too many. Thats why this elite group is so special. It is tough to be mastered and achieved on a regular basis. It is like a metronome, always in time, never too late, good oiled, quick and ruthless efficient.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Servebots and clowns are my favorite. Federer being an exception but he can do just about anything which I love.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Servebot pushers.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Brainless ballbashers are the worst for me, though I don't mind aggressive shot makers if they know how to actually construct a point and fire off a winner at the right moment, like Del Potro for example. Favorite type is that exemplified by a Djokovic or Nadal, who in my opinion have the best all around games, though I wouldn't personally call these guys "baseliners". They are all court players to me. They are able to attack, defend, rally from baseline, come to the net, all in a balanced proportion, not relying excessively on one single tactic.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
For me is not about playing style, I can appreciate all of them. But between players from same style, there are some I appreciate, and some I don't. Some examples:

- Djokovic / Murray are both defensive baseliners who are great into turning defense into attack with their great BH. But I don't appreciate Djokovic's robotic approach with a bit more of an attacking mindset than the Brit. Murray's more like a pure pusher and while many think this is negative, I found super funny watching him chasing tennis balls like a mad dog :D

- Federer / Lopez both all court players, who mix a lot their game, like to slice with the BH, serve well and go into the net. But while Federer is funny with his creative/unexpected shots and effortless tennis, Lopez is just boring and ugly to watch

- Isner / Karlovic both servebots with subpar baseline, but while Karlovic is just so flat and repetitive, Isner brings more emotion into the court, and at his peak he was so clutch and a huge risktaker on BPs. I watched a bunch of fun matches involving Isner.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Brainless ballbashers are the worst for me, though I don't mind aggressive shot makers if they know how to actually construct a point and fire off a winner at the right moment, like Del Potro for example. Favorite type is that exemplified by a Djokovic or Nadal, who in my opinion have the best all around games, though I wouldn't personally call these guys "baseliners". They are all court players to me. They are able to attack, defend, rally from baseline, come to the net, all in a balanced proportion, not relying excessively on one single tactic.
I would not call Nadal an all around player as he just about never comes to net and pretty much relies on one tactic to win matches and while it works 95% of the time, you’ll see what happens when it doesn’t work e.g. Djokovic AO final 2019.

·
11,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they construct the points and can finish at net and hit behind the back overheads and baseline blistering winners. But the base game of Nadal and Djokovic is baseline. AO 2012 is a good example. Or watch Djokovic vs. Federer and you will get my point of view.

Both are super talented but I think they are even a little different than Del Po who in my opinion is a offensive shotmaker , who likes 5 point rallies, instead of 20+.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts