• USO

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Watching FO - I was wondering that FO seems like the most daunting task for any players to win including top guys. Let alone young guns.

AO in comparison seemed less daunting and USO probably was similar.
Wimbledon was harder a few years back but now - its wide open again and anyone could win if they have a good day.

Its hard to describe as its more a feeling than anything concrete but just to be clear - by "hard" I mean every round seems like its a challenge to clear.
What do you guys think?

EDIT : ASKING as a general overall difficulty level on average for ALL players. Specific players will find some slams easier than others.
But if one is a surface neutral player - which slam is most difficult to win. Both physically and mentally !!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Its very close between Wimbledon And Roland Garros.

If i had to choose one Wimby would be it because if a big ballbasher or huge server have a field day there they can potentially upset anyone. Such is the nature of the surface.

Roland Garros could be tougher mainly due to the fact that you have to beat Rafa there.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
1.FO (you have to be prepared to grind, grind and grind - physically and mentally very tough)
2.Wimbledon (difficult to prepare for since not a lot of tournaments/weeks and bounce/movement is completely different...)
3.USO(wind and noise power)
4.AO(heat)

I consider USO more difficult because wind+noise > heat

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Of course it's Wimbledon.

Only a couple of weeks of grass practice.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
It's RG. Really difficult to win it from the hand of the greatest player of all time who dominates there.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hardest for who? What's hard for one player may be easy for another. If you were to average the hardness over all players then every slam would be equally hard.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hardest for who? What's hard for one player may be easy for another. If you were to average the hardness over all players then every slam would be equally hard.
There is no point to answer the question specifically e.g. to an era or a player. I'm assuming we are better off discussing hypothetically which one is the most difficult in terms of general effort needed, specific conditions you need to adapt to etc.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
There is no point to answer the question specifically e.g. to an era or a player. I'm assuming we are better off discussing hypothetically which one is the most difficult in terms of general effort needed, specific conditions you need to adapt to etc.
It was more of a rhetorical question - i.e. that there is no answer because some players will flounder under those conditions while others will flourish and tennis is a zero-sum game.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
RG for me because of the presence of Rafa. There is no such demi-god on the grass courts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It was more of a rhetorical question - i.e. that there is no answer because some players will flounder under those conditions while others will flourish and tennis is a zero-sum game.
I got your point, I just disagree with it :). Of course some players will have an advantage over others on different surfaces but because of the specifics of the surface(conditions, styles of play, timing in the season), overcoming this advantage is more difficult on some than on others...(you can look at it as the advantage being less pronounced). So, for a hypothetical player it will be easier to make a title run at AO/USO than on W/FO... and I believe historically that has been the case as well (more "surprise runs" at AO/US and less at W/FO).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got your point, I just disagree with it :). Of course some players will have an advantage over others on different surfaces but because of the specifics of the surface(conditions, styles of play, timing in the season), overcoming this advantage is more difficult on some than on others...(you can look at it as the advantage being less pronounced). So, for a hypothetical player it will be easier to make a title run at AO/USO than on W/FO... and I believe historically that has been the case as well (more "surprise runs" at AO/US and less at W/FO).
The question in the OP was specifically referring to "any player, including the top guys". Of course if you narrow this down to some specific subset of players then some slams will be harder than others for them to win (e.g. players who suck on grass, on clay, on hard, players who are unfit, players who prefer the heat, or your example of higher ranked players being more prone to being upset) but for the complementary subset it will become proportionally easier. Someone has to win the tournament.

EDIT: I don't think I made my point very well there and I kind of repeated a bit of what you said. Another way of looking at it - let's say you pick randomly this hypothetical player from the full Roland Garros entrance list and assess how hard it is for him. For many guys you're going to get a very high value of hardness but eventually you're going to hit Nadal and the average level will return back to normal. For the events more prone to surprises it will be the opposite - hit most guys and their hardness will be lower than at the French but as a result the top guys' hardness will be higher and you're going to end up with the same result as you did at the fench.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
RG. You have to go through Nadal, GOAT claycourter, you're not winning 3 sets off him. It says it all that the #2 guy behind Nadal hasn't even been able to win RG and that beating that #2 guy is an impossible task as well for the other players.

RG is out of reach for anyone, it's for the elite, and if you win it, you've damn well earned it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The question in the OP was specifically referring to "any player, including the top guys". Of course if you narrow this down to some specific subset of players then some slams will be harder than others for them to win (e.g. players who suck on grass, on clay, on hard, players who are unfit, players who prefer the heat, or your example of higher ranked players being more prone to being upset) but for the complementary subset it will become proportionally easier. Someone has to win the tournament.
Ohhh who is being specific now...:) I doubt that by top guys he meant Nadal winning FO or Federer winning W... by top guys he was probably referring to someone like Berdych/Ferrer/Wawrinka/Murray who either haven't won at all or not many GS.

Advice - don't expect clear-cut questions with completely defined parameters and perfect English on MTF. Make some plausable assumptions and provide an answer or a set of answers... else the "hard" questions might become endangered

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'd say:
RG - there is a bigger gap between Rafa, Nole and the rest than on other GS

W - not enough practice, requires specific skills, upsets are very common

AO - lot of grinding for a HC, heat

USO - no one dominates it since Fed, there is lot of HC tournaments and most of players are good on HC

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i see that my thread has caused a lil bit of confusion.

Thanks @zippar for clarifying my position and quite correctly.

And to be fair to @ogbg - I too thought about this problem that some players will obviously find some slams easier but then there was no way to define this question on a more general level.

That's why I stuck with the overall general difficulty of winning a slam (for anyone).

Maybe a better way to ask the question would have been if you are an alien (without any alien superpowers) and had no surface preferences as such - which slam would be the toughest to win.

I get a feeling that each step here (at RG) is more of an effort for the players than I have seen at USO and AO.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
RG and it's not even close..Nadal,and Djokovic in recent times, are in a different stratosphere as far being title contenders..Clay makes it harder to find a sustainable redlining/big serving patch that could see off these two immense defenders..Even Djokovic who has grown more comfortable in this matchup with Nadal since 2011, has yet to solve a clearly past his peak Claydal..

I'd say:
RG - there is a bigger gap between Rafa, Nole and the rest than on other GS

W - not enough practice, requires specific skills, upsets are very common

AO - lot of grinding for a HC, heat

USO - no one dominates it since Fed, there is lot of HC tournaments and most of players are good on HC

Not really..Well, if not for Nadal skipping the rest of 2012, we would probably be looking at 4 consecutive USO Finals between Nadal and Djokovic (2010-2013)..So it is best said it is been Rafole duopoly in NY since Federer reign ended..

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
RG and it's not even close..Nadal,and Djokovic in recent times, are in a different stratosphere as far being title contenders..Clay makes it harder to find a sustainable redlining/big serving patch that could see off these two immense defenders..Even Djokovic who has grown more comfortable in this matchup with Nadal since 2011, has yet to solve a clearly past his peak Claydal..

Not really..Well, if not for Nadal skipping the rest of 2012, we would probably be looking at 4 consecutive USO Finals between Nadal and Djokovic (2010-2013)..So it is best said it is been Rafole duopoly in NY since Federer reign ended..

Oh sorry, I forgot i was in Dulltard thread where IFs are reality :spit:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts