Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which was Federer's worst GS-loss (semis or final)

• USO 2011 vs Nole

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • USO 2015 vs Nole

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wimbledon 2008 vs Nadal

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • AO 2009 vs Nadal

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • USO 2009 vs Del Potro

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • French Open 2006 vs Nadal

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
vote and discuss.

I'm a Djoker and Fed-Fan, but I'm not a die hard. Usually I cheer a bit more for Novak. But for obvious reasons I wanted Fed to win his 18 badly. I love finals between them too, because no matter who wins, one of my favourites win the trophy. This time I left disappointed after the match, because Fed choked it so hard away. That hurts

I would rank this Federer-defeat right behind that against Nadal at the AO. Similar match, just Fed was even better and choked even harder.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
USO 2009. It's still unbelievable he lost it. Actually it is the only GS final he lost outside Nadal or Djokovic.
Then AO 2009. That fifth set was a pity, and he had so many opportunities in the first and third sets.

Those are two finals he had in his racket and should/could've won. I don't have this feeling about his 3 losses against Novak of those last two years.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I think that loss rivals AO 2009, though Nadal and Federer levels were much higher than what Novak and Federer presented today.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I don't exactly know what you mean by worst loss. RG12 SF is worst loss in terms of level of play. He was so missing on court that day.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1. AO 2009.
2. Wimby 2008.
3. RG 2008.

These combos are inseparable. The pain grew after each defeat that finally brought him to tears. Anyway, he's always lucky, isn't he? You know what happened afterwards...

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
2011 (and 2010) vs Novak.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
USO 2009 vs Del Potro (from given ones). He pooped out badly that time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
USO 2011 vs Nole - Well this sucked because this was the second year in a row Federer blew two MPs. And I genuinely thought he was good enough to beat Nadal in the final that year in comparison to 2010.
USO 2015 vs Nole - 4/23 on BPs. It can't really can't much worst than that can it? He has had 1/17 at the RG final in 2007. This one was worst probably because the expectations on him leading up the final. Everyone wanted the old man to win his 18th. The fact that he made easy errors and played passive tennis on those BPs is a bummer.
Wimbledon 2008 vs Nadal - Not really a bad loss. He was always playing catch-up in this final, I guess the demoralising thing was, his comeback was all for nothing.
AO 2009 vs Nadal - Multiple break points wasted in the third set and he lead 4-2 in the first set. Should have won this one.
USO 2009 vs Del Potro - Again, should have won this one in straights. Led 5-3 or 5-4 on serve in the 2nd set, had he won it, the match probably would have been won in straights.
French Open 2006 vs Nadal - Haven't really seen much of this final, but disappointing to lose second set 6-1 when he had the first set by the same score.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I dunno... Which ones did he cry after?

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
It's Wimby 2019 against Novak and nothing comes close.

Reactions: talicnitom

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know about worst, but getting shellacked by Cilic's blitzkrieg in the 2014 US Open SF, with a likely spent Nishikori waiting in the F has to be equally baffling and infuriating for Roger.

·
Registered
414 Posts
2014 was a good year for Federer, especially after the catastrophic 2013, but to be fair he was cooked vs Cilic in the zone.

Before the US Open, final in Toronto, Cincinnati title, where Cilic already poses problems for him and it was even difficult against Ferrer in Ohio final.

In addition, before Cilic, a bo5 vs Monfils coming back from 0-2s.

It seems to me that it was a title for Djokovic, wins Wimb, take nr 1, wedding, he passes oddly through the 2 MS (Toronto Tsonga, certainly JWT was playing very well .. but Robredo in Cinci ..)
In GS, vs Nishikori, he had to win, while Kei had 2 difficult matches in 5 sets vs Raonic and Stan.

Especially since his end of the season is without dispute, except the defeat against the Fed in Shanghai, wins Beijing, Bercy, Masters.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Wimbledon 2019 on feels level (bit of recency bias maybe but still). But if we look at that pre match and outcome wise it was more of a surprise that he even managed to get to 5 sets. It was only during the match that it became a significantly bad result to lose it.

I feel 2009 USO in that aspect is the "worst loss" when looking at it pre match and seeing how the match developed. Del Potro was good, especially in the latter sets, but Federer should have had a mental edge still. He didn't capatalize on his chances, and he frankly made huge errors tactics wise (at least I feel he did) by trying to almost beat Del Potro at his own game.

All other matches from pool are kinda whatever. Yeah he should have maybe won some but meh.

I still feel a little bad about the 2011 FO final loss, which of course wasn't a close one in the end. And sure it was Nadal, but for about half an hour it finally seemed like Nadal had a bit of an off day in a FO final and Federer didn't just beat Djokovic only to easily lose to Nadal in the end. And then it all turned around once more and not necessarily because Nadal started to play out of his mind good.

2014 USO is whatever in my book. Cilic was practically unplayable that day. Federer could have done better but it happens.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I feel 2009 USO in that aspect is the "worst loss" when looking at it pre match and seeing how the match developed.

I also think, Federer plays well this US Open, wins RG-Wimb, reclaims his number one, God mode in Cinci, Darth Federer in semi vs Djoko in NY .. gala match.

For me, he had already won the tournament after this match and he himself should not understand that he had to come back and play another match the next day. :)

In addition, after this match, he will never regain his aura of US Open boss, although it is true that since then, no one has been able to defend his title in NY.

This allows to give another dimension to his 5 titles in a row

1 - 19 of 19 Posts