Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which from this big hitters can change his strategy best to win match?

• Tsonga

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Soderling

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Del Potro

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Berdych

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Gulbis

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Isner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other-specify

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think those 5 are best big hitters out there - Delpo, Soderling, Tsonga, Berdych, Gulbis - maybe Isner is similar category, but overall their game looked similar big serve, big FH or just trying to overpower opponents, but sometimes this is not the rigth way to win matches, so what do you think which player is best in changing strategies, play differently and so on who can adapt well to other player´ game?

·
Registered
29,247 Posts
The latest year or so I've seen Soderling win a couple of matches because he's adapted his game when it wasn't working. For example against Wawrinka (was it in Stockholm last year?) when his power game was off, he actually started pushing with backhand slices & tentative shots and he won because of it. And against Hewitt in Wimbledon this year, down 2 sets to love and his forehand returns were horrible, then he switched to only hitting slice returns and turned it around.

At the WTF last year vs Fed he didn't win but he hit his forehand with a lot more topspin than usual and aimed for Roger's backhand. Been watching Nadal I guess. Worked fairly well but wasn't enough in that match.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
delpo really doesnt fit into that list, yea he hits hard but thats about the only thing he has in common with those mugs. delpo actually has good movement, a reliable backhand and he can play rallies with any1 out there to set up a winner for his massive forehand unlike all those ballbashers who will try to go for winners as soon as possible because they cant play a decent rally, thats why you will find them shank their forehand more often than not.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
delpo really doesnt fit into that list, yea he hits hard but thats about the only thing he has in common with those mugs. delpo actually has good movement, a reliable backhand and he can play rallies with any1 out there to set up a winner for his massive forehand unlike all those ballbashers who will try to go for winners as soon as possible because they cant play a decent rally, thats why you will find them shank their forehand more often than not.
The thing is, Soderling and others should LEARN from Del Potro and how he fixed his mistake.

I remember how Del Potro got wacked at the Australian Open against Federer and how poor his footwork and movement was. Then when they worked really hard on it after many months, it paid off at the French Open, he got some nice results there. Then at the U.S. Open he was able to rally with Federer.

Players like Soderling, Berdych, really need to put A LOT of emphasis on their footwork if they want to stand a chance. Having a strong forehand and serve is one thing, but you still need the movement to go along with it.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
As for Tsonga, he looks like he's going to faint in most of his matches. He needs to raise his fitness a little bit more. He should also keep improving on the return of service. It will pay off like in the Federer match.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Isner isn't a big hitter, he's an all serve mug.

Out of all the ballbashers, Clownga has the most variety - he can actually play at the net.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
:superlol: Pony is without a shadow of a doubt the most one-dimensional out of the lot. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Wouldn't Tsonga have a better H2H than 0-5 vs Soderling if he really was a good player at changing strategy to win.

I mean Soderling plays roughly the same vs Tsonga and yet he hasn't been able to do a "federer" to Soderling.

Or maybe Soderlings strategy is simply so awesome that it can't be defeated regardless of what you do unless you are a GOAT candidate. Then it's not strange that Soderling doesn't change his strategy that much during matches even if he can. Why mess with something that works.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
I would say Berdych. His net game has improved so much and at times against lower ranked players he just practically pushes sometimes now. :help:

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I would say Berdych. His net game has improved so much and at times against lower ranked players he just practically pushes sometimes now. :help:
I don't agree. When Bird isn't clicking its really bad and he doesn't change much at all. Båstad against Robin for Ex. Or Robert in FO..

Robin has won plenty of matches ugly the last 1-2 years when his game wasn't on so he is the winner out of those. Delpo is somewhere in between.

Gulbis and Isner shouldn't even be in the poll.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Tsonga with 10 votes :haha::haha::spit::eek:
Maybe it's because he's the obvious answer?

It goes pretty much like this :

Tsonga - Gulbis - Berdych - Isner - Soderling/Delpo

The fact that we have someone in here praising Soderling for realizing after two sets that he could block his returns instead of whacking every ball on grass is pretty telling.

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
soderling is definitely the worst at it......he is absolutely listless when his bashes don't go in and his net game and slice are one of the worst in top 100......the good thing about him is, he can keep up the bashing for longer periods compared to other average bashes and that enables him to win a little more than the random average bashers......

del potro and berdych can change it a little when needed......del potro showed us at wimbledon that he's not afraid to volley and berdych too likes moving forward to change it a little once in a while......

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
soderling is definitely the worst at it......he is absolutely listless when his bashes don't go in and his net game and slice are one of the worst in top 100......the good thing about him is, he can keep up the bashing for longer periods compared to other average bashes and that enables him to win a little more than the random average bashers......

del potro and berdych can change it a little when needed......del potro showed us at wimbledon that he's not afraid to volley and berdych too likes moving forward to change it a little once in a while......
He is 38/9 this year, how many matches have you seen him play?? i have seen them all :rolleyes::eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts