Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal's 2014 will end up being similar to....

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which Federer’s season Nadal’s 2014 will end up being similar to?

Nadal is a month or so away from his 28th birthday and I think that I have seen enough signs since USO 2013 suggesting that Nadal may be out or close of exiting his prime-years and it would be very unlikely to see him have another 8-10 titles season again..

2014 is genuinely the first year where a sub-par Nadal is threatening to go Slamless for the first time since 2004—a scenario Federer was first looking at by mid-2008 but he salvaged it with USO title in the end …

I think Rafa has entered that territory. So which Federer’s season between 2008-2013 Nadal's 2014 is shaping up to resemble the most?

My Pick:

Nadal’s 2014 will either be Federer’s 2011 (Slamless) or Federer’s 2010 (catch fire in Slam (AO) and suck for pretty much the rest of the year while losing to a cavalcade of players he once owned Soderling, Gulbis, Montanes, Monfils Baghdatis- an outcome Nadal's has been mimicking with Wawrinka, Dolgo and Almagro)

I am going for an optimist take and say it will be Federer’s 2010, but Nadal will certainly end-up majorless in a season, if not in 2014 it could be in 2015 or 2016..

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Re: Which Federer’s season Nadal’s 2014 will end up being similar to?

In terms of slam achievements /results ...It will be similar to Fed 2009. The only question is if he will capture the Wimby or the USO.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

None. Maybe 2013 at most. Nadal is playing like he forgot to hit the ball. Fed was such state losing to random people only in 2013. In terms of titles, it is a different story. But, in terms of play. I cannot see any year of Fed other than 2013. But still we are stepping into May just yet. Plenty time left.

Edit: And Rafa is just only 1 month from his B'day. June 3 :p

·
Registered
301 Posts

I think 2008. He will have plenty of wierd losses to players he used to own. Just like Federer with Roddick, Blake, Fish, Karlovic etc

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Voted 2013... but then I remembered just how bad Fed's 2013 really was. Nadal's already won more titles :lol:.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

2011 wasnt Federer beeing bad. Nole was Super and Rafa got RG.

2013 Federer had some back problems which have seemed to go away.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Probably 2010. At this point, I still think Nadal should be the favorite to win RG - especially if he does well at Rome and Madrid. I picked him to win RG at the start of the year, and I still stick by that. But I don't think he'll win Wimbledon or the USO, and I could see early round losses at both if he gets a tough draw.

Then again, this is Rafa we're talking about, so if he suddenly bounces back out of the blue I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think he's reached 2013-Fed-level disaster yet, though. He's already made a GS final, which is more than anything Fed did last year.

·
Registered
301 Posts

2011 wasnt Federer beeing bad. Nole was Super and Rafa got RG.

2013 Federer had some back problems which have seemed to go away.
I agree. Fed deserved to reach 2 slam finals in 2011

·
Registered
9,116 Posts

If I had to pick one, 2010. 2008 was underwhelming by Fed's standards but he did make 3 Slam finals and made the Masters finals in MC and Hamburg. In 2010 though Fed was in low confidence after IW and had a lot of setback losses, just like Rafa is having now.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts

Nadal achieved more by March than Federer did in the whole of last year.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Saying Fed 2013 is pushing it. Id say it was be similar to Fed 2010/2012 when the year ends.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Oh come on, I just cannot believe people who insists to write off Nadal. There are still three slams to go. RG it's his to lose as always, at Wimbledon if he survives the first week he should be considered the favourite given federer is old, Murray went AWOL after back surgery and Djokovic doesn't feel comfortable on grass. USO is his to lose as well, he definitely feels better than Nole there (Novak on the contrary has an abysmal 1-4 record in finals :facepalm: ).

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Oh come on, I just cannot believe people who insists to write off Nadal. There are still three slams to go. RG it's his to lose as always, at Wimbledon if he survives the first week he should be considered the favourite given federer is old, Murray went AWOL after back surgery and Djokovic doesn't feel comfortable on grass. USO is his to lose as well, he definitely feels better than Nole there (Novak on the contrary has an abysmal 1-4 record in finals :facepalm: ).

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Errrm...comparing Nadal to Federer's past seasons isn't writing him off...unless you're implying that Federer was justifiably written off after the years listed?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

Federer's 2018

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Hopefully the 2011 version.

·
Registered
904 Posts

It's already similar to Fed's 2013.
Exactly. Fed started with a SF in AO [could've made it into final] and that was the high point of 2013, Nadal's following that pattern.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

How can it be fed 2011? fed was playing at a really high level in 2011 dull is not. I would say it's more like 2010

1 - 20 of 28 Posts