Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which currently active player would you want to see as a new first-time slam-winner?

• Dominic Thiem at RG

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gael Monfils at RG

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Kyle Edmund at Wim

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Feliciano Lopez at Wim

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • John Isner at USO

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Kevin Anderson at USO

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Nick Kyrgios at AO

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Alexander Zverev at AO

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Another player - please tell us who and where.

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few comments about the players included in the poll.

Thiem: He has beaten the best player on clay four times already, and has reached at least the semi in RG the three last years. Most people seem to agree that he is a nice guy. Surely he would deserve success in Paris, which would wash away the "generation useless" label from himself and his peers.

Monfils: People has pointed out his flaws for as long as I can remember. One can easily forget that Monfils can be an inspired player when he is on. Success at the home venue would be well deserved, and prove to everyone that he can be more than a circus-artist.

Edmund: While he reached a semi at AO 2018, he has had little success on home turf. Being the British number one, once Sir Andy disappeared from the picture, has proved a heavy cross to bear. A victory on home soil would mean the world to him, and at last, he would be thoroughly appreciated by his countrymen.

Lopez: While the Spaniard does not have the ranking to be seen as a contender, he has had some success on the surface. In fact, the 2017 victory at Queens, where he beat Cilic in the final, is the most prominent result of his career. A victory at Wimbledon for Lopez would prove to nostalgic tennis fans that serve and volley on grass is not a dead art.

Isner: While big John never has been one of the main contenders for the greatest of titles, his serve makes him a dangerous opponent for anyone. The short points are not always appreciated by the audience though, and Isner is not automatically the crowd favorite, even on home soil. A big win would change this. Moreover, if USner should make it somewhere, surely it must be in New York.

Anderson: With two slam-finals to his name, the South African has made steady progress in the ranking and made his best results at a mature age. A win for the big guy would show the world that life is not over when you reach 30. Few persons seem to have bad things to say about Kevin, even though his game is not that much appreciated in general.

Kyrgios: Nick has made good results against the big three, but generally his attitude to the game has made him an underachiever. A big result might change his state of mind, potentially unlocking his qualities on a more permanent basis. More than just Australians would welcome a victory on home turf for the talented man from down under.

Zverev: Being the most accomplished player of his generation has not always been easy. With multiple victories at the masters level, beating both Djokovic and Federer at the WTF in London, many expected the young German to put his slam struggles behind him in 2019. Instead, the opposite has happened the first few months of the season, as he struggles everywhere and not just at slams. A victory at AO could brush away the sarcastic nickname of "Slamrev" and make the German the leader of his generation once again.

More or less every ATP-player who does not already have a slam victory could have been included in the poll. The names I picked are not necessarily my own favorites, but give some variation in game styles, nationalities, and personalities. Of course, you are more than welcome to put forward other candidates.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Nick winning uso
Thiem RG

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Berdych surely. A player with such great groundstrokes shouldn't end his career slamless.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Right now? Probably Thiem at RG. Not because he's the player I like the most but because his win would probably feel the most legit, considering how good he is on that surface.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Ćorić v2.1, 2021.

Any new under 31 y.o. winner before 2021 would be a blasphemy and travesty on the face of ATP & the sport in the Milky Way galaxy in general.

The only GS finalist under-30 by the end of 2020 should be Thiem.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Evans - USO
Kyrgios - W
Coric - USO
Kokkinakis - AO
Millman -AO
Gulbis - FO
Fognini - FO

In that order

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts
Dominic at RG is obviously my number 1 wish. He is in his prime so I hope he’ll get this monkey off his back this year.

Who else?

Certainly Berdych is the player with massive talent who „should have won” a slam but... I’m afraid that ship has already sailed...

Stef and Denis - I’d be happy should they win a slam and they will some day but probably not this year. They still have much time though so it’s nothing urgent.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
As I depressingly dangerously approach my 30s, I have a new found affection for players over 30. I live vicariously through them. So anyone of them will do.

Oh and btw, get off my lawn.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanted to include two players at each slam in the list, and before I had time to think much this number had been filled. In hindsight, players like Berdych (AO or USO) and Dimitrov (Wim) who has been mentioned above, would have been appropriate to include in the poll. Moreover, a slam finalist like Nishikori (USO) should have been listed as well, and, of course, a player such as Tsonga (AO), and most likely also Raonic (Wim).

Although I like many of the newer but less established players, I don't regret leaving them out from the poll, as their time will come, obviously. As for the question of who will get the most votes, my omissions may not be very important. Apparently, a consensus already has established itself, that MTF wishes for Thiem to be the next slam winner at RG.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I voted for López at Wimbledon, but if I could pick any player to win his first slam, I’d go with Schwartzman at RG or Tiafoe at USO

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thiem at RG. Kyrgios anywhere. Tsitsipas anywhere.

Yeah, that's it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would like to see Philipp "Pic" Kohlschreiber win his first slam. Where is irrelevant. Just do it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts