Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a distinct formula/criteria to judge which countries have done better when it comes to producing Top level players, but I have taken a combination of factors into consideration (size, wealth, tradition..etc)..

Overachievers: Sweden (up until early 2000s), Croatia..
Underachievers : France (outside the Davis Cup team success, produced nothing but a bunch of also-run players across decades), Russia/Soviet Union, Great Britain (that Murray guy, though)..

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wouldn't say they've underachieved, but would think a country like Portugal by sheer proximity to Spain should have at least developed a half dozen adept Claycourters that would have left a small mark in tennis over the last couple of decades or so.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
For the sheer number of players they always have in the top 100 the USA has underachieved since the early 00s. They also have quite a big advantage over most other countries with the number of local tournaments they have at all levels of competition.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the sheer number of players they always have in the top 100 the USA has underachieved since the early 00s. They also have quite a big advantage over most other countries with the number of local tournaments they have at all levels of competition.
Any country that hosts a Grand Slam and doesn't have at least a local player contending for it every year (legit shot) is underachieving in my book (US, France, Australia, all fit that criteria right now)..

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
China is one of those countries that I think underachieved.

It has been organizing big events in tennis since 2002; Masters Cups and Masters 1000s (also an ATP 500 since 2004), and has a population of 1.38 billions, but the highest ranked men's tennis player China ever fielded was 140 (Wu Di). In women's tennis, China had Li Na though.

To an extent, India too, with a population of > 1.3 billions. They had a great doubles pair Paes and Bhupati in late 90s and early 2000s, but was not able to produce a great singles player for a long time.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brazil outside the Guga years has been a non-factor in the sport. For the sheer size of the country (population/economy) they have underachieved some.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
France. They produce a wide variety of talented players and not a single one can win a slam? Really? But yes they have been unlucky with the big 3 winning eveything, still feel guys like Tsonga, Gasquet could've won a slam with a little more luck. Pouille has the game to win a slam so why can't he? It's unfortunate for tennis that a Frenchman hasn't won a slam, it would make tennis more beautiful.

As an Indian I feel India should produce better players as other asian countries like Japan can produce a Nishikori so why not India? We have similar physical attributes. If Shortsman can play tennis at this level then why can't an Indian player play too?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
France. They produce a wide variety of talented players and not a single one can win a slam? Really? But yes they have been unlucky with the big 3 winning eveything, still feel guys like Tsonga, Gasquet could've won a slam with a little more luck. Pouille has the game to win a slam so why can't he? It's unfortunate for tennis that a Frenchman hasn't won a slam, it would make tennis more beautiful.

As an Indian I feel India should produce better players as other asian countries like Japan can produce a Nishikori so why not India? We have similar physical attributes. If Shortsman can play tennis at this level then why can't an Indian player play too?
they need to teach them how not to hit the ball out ;)

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
You cannot evaluate a country performance with number of people living there reardless of wealth and Tennis structures.

I mean Brazil India and China may be overcrowded but Tennis structures are very rare and memberships are so expensive most of people can not afford it.

China as developped programs to help kids but it is too early and Chinese people don't massively like tennis, can change if Yibing Wu achieves something big.

If just 15% like Tennis it is 200 millions people wich would be ^^, more than in whole Europe.

Nothing in common with France were most Tennis venues are public and free.

Expensive in UK too but upper and middle class are huge.

France is a big problem, probably like USA and Sweden, kids are skilled but never turns into top players anymore.

Probably too big expectations and pressure and a huge lack of Hunger for kids that are overprotected by their parents and the system.

So, no surprise, kids from immigration are overpresent in Western countries because they are far more hungry : Raonic, Anisimova, Zverevs, Mladenovic, Ymers, Kyrgios Tomic and dozens of others.

Russia suffers from its players emigrating and Kazakhstan buying some, plus corruption and former structures collapsing with Social and Political Crisis.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Going by population and only including countries that care about the sport/play it.

Underachivers: Great Britain, France, Germany, USA (Only since Sampras retired)

Overachivers: Australia, Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia, Czech Republic

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Always surprised me Italy's not made more of a mark in Tennis. Has a reasonably big ATP tournament with Rome, guess not as much tradition as with France, Spain and Germany.

Overachievers certainly Swiss. 23 grandslam titles in last 15 years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts