Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about the generation that's retiring with Gonzalez today, not only were all those guys super talented but also funny and personable. You don't see that in today's tennis anymore, the guys now have fake personalities (Tsonga's gimmick dance; Monfils all the time; Nadal's OCD and fake humility; Djokovic trying to have a personality early in his career) or no personality (Tomic; Murray; Del Potro). Gonna post some examples of the stuff that just doesn't happen anymore.

Gonzo:

Haas:

Safin:

Hrbaty:

Santoro:

Roddick vs. Hewitt in the good old days:

Coria vs. Hewitt:

What happened to the nice moments and the mean moments? Everything is so sterilized, and typing this now I realize there are no rivalries outside Nadal/Djokovic/Federer. Also feel free to post more videos of in my opinion the golden era of tennis.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Man I love you for posting these videos :hearts:

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's Fed's fault........he made tennis too civil
Remember this:

or this:

those guys are still around but the fire is gone. Maybe Fed made assholes like Hewitt and Gonzalez play with sportsmanship but I get a general vibe that the personalities and the rivalries are gone completely. Even the Nadal v. Djokovic rivalry just seems sterile to me, everything they say about each other sounds like a politician and nothing of interest ever happens.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Anyway, Berdych is still like that, if he doesn't like something, he shows it. The same with Roddick. More 'bad' rivalries from top players would make things interesting but I don't think we're going to see it anytime soon with most of them being good friends with each other.

·
Registered
59,021 Posts
Berdych is honest, but he's also kinda a dick :p
The Spaniards and Italians tend to have personalities, with Nadal as exception.
Tipsarevic has one. Davydenko can be really funny.
Hewitt still does when he plays

The top 2 levels of my sig in general (take out Ljubicic, Hanescu and Ferrero)

There are some newish guys with absolutely 0 emotion: Raonic, del Potro, Kudla, Sock

As much as I hate Tomic his douchebaggery may be good for the game

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Berdych is honest, but he's also kinda a dick :p
The Spaniards and Italians tend to have personalities, with Nadal as exception.
Tipsarevic has one. Davydenko can be really funny.
Hewitt still does when he plays

The top 2 levels of my sig in general (take out Ljubicic, Hanescu and Ferrero)
a lot of those players you list aren't that young anymore(tennis wise) and a fair few will be gone soon

None of the players coming up have a distinctive personality. Harrison is a brat and tomic is a douchebag but i dont count that as having a personality.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
The doubles tour has some of the crazier personalities. sadly ppl don't watch doubles.

As for singles I think it got a bit too competitive. Safin himself said something along those lines before he retired. That tennis had gotten too serious. I think he's right in some sense. Prize money has kept rising and so has the competition. The top guys are like robots. Practice, eat, do promotions, sleep.......repeat.

I don't think most of the top guys do the crazy stuff some of the former stars did on their free time. If you want personality you have to go down in the rankings. Maybe to guys like Fognini and such that aren't too serious about their tennis and still has tons of crazy passion. Dolgopolov is a bit fun too and so are some of the youngsters

You can also see that once players become big stars they often become more dull. Soderling was more of a rebel before he became a stable top10 player. I suspect that part of it has to do with sponsors. When you suddenly get many big time sponsors you have to stay in line and don't upset other players or other fanbases.

The only good part about the tour is that most players are still very bad losers. Berdych, Verdasco, Almagro and some others have had many memorable on-court moments

·
Registered
59,021 Posts
a lot of those players you list aren't that young anymore(tennis wise) and a fair few will be gone soon

None of the players coming up have a distinctive personality. Harrison is a brat and tomic is a douchebag but i dont count that as having a personality.
I think Harrison has a nice personality- like an improved Roddick imo. I love his defense of racquet breaking. And Berankis reminds me of Lleyton

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Taking into account how much shit Novak got in his early years for showing a big personality, it shouldn't shock anyone that they revert to being politically correct in public. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
prize money is very high, probably a iw salary win could compare to a gs win from a couple years ago. Players are too solid now and if you show a little flick of personality (joking) the opponent will try to take advantage of your supposed lapse in concentration.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Tsonga and Monfils having fake personalities? :stupid:

The 6 highest ranked players I support (Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Monfils, Murray, Soderling) all show their personalities and don't hide anything which is another reason I support them. I mean take Murray for example, he's relatively boring but at least he's being himself. Whereas with a guy like Federer I don't think that's the case at all, especially when he bitches after losing and what not.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
True personalities have been away from the game for ages now. All those clips are funny, but they´re really nothing that doesn´t appear nowadays as well. It´s just that time makes the past always seem better than it was. If we would talk about real personalities of the game, it wouldn´t be Haas waving his hands or Söderling and Nadal having a petty argument. Guys like Nastase, Connors, McEnroe, young Agassi etc. were true personalities, and the´ve been gone for a long, long time...

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Taking into account how much shit Novak got in his early years for showing a big personality, it shouldn't shock to anyone that they revert to being politically correct in public. :rolleyes:
Spot on, when someone tries to be different, then all the snobs get shocked and appalled. And when everybody is just business, then it's "sterile". Can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Tsonga and Monfils having fake personalities? :stupid:

The 6 highest ranked players I support (Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Monfils, Murray, Soderling) all show their personalities and don't hide anything which is another reason I support them. I mean take Murray for example, he's relatively boring but at least he's being himself. Whereas with a guy like Federer I don't think that's the case at all, especially when he bitches after losing and what not.
Jason you are spot on :worship: Whoever said Jo and Gael have fake personalities is a moron and needs help.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts