Mens Tennis Forums banner

Where would you rank a Federer Grandslam 2021 win at either US Open / Wimbledon?

• The best acheivement in tennis , rivaling the Laver GS and other unique impossible records.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Top 5 acheivements/ feats in tennis, a very impressive feat winning at the age and time.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Top 10 acheivement/ feats in tennis , really good , but not greatest

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • It wouldn't be that impressive on its its own

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • It wouldn't be that impressive due to (Covid , lucky draw, scheduling , asterik , etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Federer won't even make it past R ____ something of a Grand slam, so this is useless

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Mugchi option, other

Votes: 3 11.1%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off of a year long surgery recovery , being 39/40 years old , playing against a motivated NextGen or Djokovic, Nadal etc and or just somehow winning Wimbledon and or US Open in 2021.

It is one of the most unlikely scenarios to happen, but hypothetically speaking, where would you rank a Federer 2021 GS win in the all time records? This is not a GOAT discussion , but as an individual record/ achievement.

Old Grand Slam winners were more of a common thing back in in 50-70's , Ken Roswell 1972 AO holding record at 37 and 6 months. So he would break the record by some margin.

Roger Federer still chasing Ken Rosewall landmark

Discuss . Poll included.

This is a hypothetical and its the offseason so don't get too worked up ;).

Sincerely,

Ruinsclasschi

Reactions: friður

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Top 5 for sure, Rogie winning W or USO in 2021, such a feat would be huge and I'd be over the moon, a 21st grand slam in 2021!!

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Your visions will happen
49,193 Posts
Arthur Gore winning 1908 Wimbledon at age 40y6m though imo his run to the finals in 1912 at age 44 was even more impressive

Tilden and Kozeluh won slams at 42, yes, but with smaller draws. Gore only had to play 6 matches for the 1908 title however. Tilden was 37y5m when he won Wimbledon 1930, a full 7 matches, which is currently the record, as Fed was only 36y5m when he won AO 18. Rosewall of course only had to win 5 matches in the 71 and 72 AO events, where he was age 36y4m and age 37y1m respectively

For Roger to come back and win, let's say Wimbledon 2021, where he would be age 39y11m, I mean, he'd be the oldest slam champ to win 7 matches in the most athletic era of the sport so far. So it may go down as the single most impressive achievement of all time. Of course it also matters the draw. If he cleans up vs mugs it will feel different than if he has to beat a gauntlet including both Djoker and Rafa

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arthur Gore winning 1908 Wimbledon at age 40y6m though imo his run to the finals in 1912 at age 44 was even more impressive

Tilden and Kozeluh won slams at 42, yes, but with smaller draws. Gore only had to play 6 matches for the 1908 title however. Tilden was 37y5m when he won Wimbledon 1930, a full 7 matches, which is currently the record, as Fed was only 36y5m when he won AO 18. Rosewall of course only had to win 5 matches in the 71 and 72 AO events, where he was age 36y4m and age 37y1m respectively

For Roger to come back and win, let's say Wimbledon 2021, where he would be age 39y11m, I mean, he'd be the oldest slam champ to win 7 matches in the most athletic era of the sport so far. So it may go down as the single most impressive achievement of all time. Of course it also matters the draw. If he cleans up vs mugs it will feel different than if he has to beat a gauntlet including both Djoker and Rafa
I think it would be behind Rod Laver CYGS.

Its hard to compare some of the 1912 slams, vs. 2021 technology, where Rafa's micro sensing Babolat racquet could power a car in 1912. Federer winning in 2021 would have to be one of the greatest accomplishments

:coffee:

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would be a great record for sure by Federer on par with Laver back in the day, I think Djokovic can do the same thing as well if he stays that long.
Agreed. Djokovic minus his elbow for just a bit of 2017 / Pepe diet. Has been basically injury free most of his career. No major surgery or malaties

Reactions: Nadalgoat 2

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Roger winning US Open at 40 would be the greatest feat in all of sport. No man age 40 will ever win US Open given how grueling it is.

Since grass tennis is way easier less physical, I don't think Roger winning Wimbledon would be all that great of feat. Wimbledon is more about serve and net play, so age isn't really much of a factor there. So Roger winning wouldn't be that great of feat. I'd put Rafa destroying everyone in this past year's French as a more amazing feat just because of the physical toll of winning best of 5 clay matches at his age.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roger winning US Open at 40 would be the greatest feat in all of sport. No man age 40 will ever win US Open given how grueling it is.

Since grass tennis is way easier less physical, I don't think Roger winning Wimbledon would be all that great of feat. Wimbledon is more about serve and net play, so age isn't really much of a factor there. So Roger winning wouldn't be that great of feat. I'd put Rafa destroying everyone in this past year's French as a more amazing feat just because of the physical toll of winning best of 5 clay matches at his age.
Humiderer winning at 40 .

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Winning Wimbledon or US Open would be a good start ... before winning the Masters at over 40, given the difficulty after 30 years of winning it :D

oldest Open era.

AO: Rosewall 1972, 37y 2m 1d
Wimbledon: Federer 2017, 35y 11 m 8d
RG : Gimeno 1972 : 34y 10m 1d
US Open: Rosewall 1970, 35y 10m 11d
Masters: Federer 2011: 30y 3m 19d

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about being the oldest player to win the Olympic gold - would it be considered an equally great achievement?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Depends on a few factors including who he beats and how the performances are of course, and I also agree that him winning Wimbledon would go down as slightly less of an 'historic' achievement than if he were to win any other slam - because he is always one of the Wimbledon favourites anyway and I think less people would see it as a truly shock win, even though it would still be a wonderful achievement.

I mean if he won the French Open it's going down as one of the top 3 achievements of all time. If he wins wimbledon just before he turns 40, for me as a stand-alone achievement it's probably in the top 10 for grand slams... for me it kind of detracts a bit that he has been one of the greatest, or the greatest to many, for his career. To me it makes any slam he wins less surprising, because he is already a great and knew how to win slams, been there and done it more than anybody else.

Now if a 39/40 year old Feliciano Lopez won a slam... 😅

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm surprised that people put Federer on that high of a pedestal that him winning Wimbledon at age 40 would be "not that big of a deal"

Also I did not Include French open, because even I'm not that unrealistic

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Since 2003, only 4 players, the Big 4, have won Wimbledon.

Murray is out of picture.
Rafa did not beat Federer off clay in 7 and a half years (by the time of 2021 Wimbledon) since 2014, did lose to Federer in 2019 Wimbledon SF in 4 sets, and did not win Wimbledon since 2010.
Djokovic is the only guy who troubled Federer repeatedly here, but his game is in a dip this past year; not to forget Federer looked the better player before he choked in that 2019 Wimbledon Final.

Unless Federer shows off his age and plays like a typical 40-year old player, he will have a chance to win Wimbledon again. We will have to wait and see how Federer plays after his return from the injury layoff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts