Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone update me on Nishikori's latest? He withdrew from the Aussie Open due to lack of preparation, but he didn't mention what was his next tournament. I was hoping he would return to the tour in Rotterdum, but I didn't see his name on the entry list, so where is he playing next? I'm ashamed of myself as a Nishikori fan for not knowing his schedule.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,866 Posts
He withdrew from Delray beach.

I assume he won't play till Indian Wells.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the info. I hope he will win the title there!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kei is supposed to play (or at least have to be there as a Japan national team member) at Davis Cup qualifiers with Ecuador in Japan March 6-7. For Tokyo Olympic eligibility, one has to participate at least 3 times at Davis Cup (one during 2019-2020) during Olympic 4-year cycle. Kei has participated only once up to now, hence it is quasi-MUST to play (another one could be filled by petition due to injury). Kei shall get the Protected Ranking (should be PR=10) if he does not play until the week before March 2nd (6-month no play due to injury). He can participate Tokyo Olympic with PR, even if his ranking on June 8th (immediately after Roland Garros) is out ouf Olympic Direct Acceptance 56.

For ATP, we hope Kei will play at IW (already DA is announced and Kei is in the 18th) and Miami. For Clay season, it is already announced that he will participate at Monte Carlo and Barcelona. It should be followed by Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros.

·
54,866 Posts
Kei is supposed to play (or at least have to be there as a Japan national team member) at Davis Cup qualifiers with Ecuador in Japan March 6-7. For Tokyo Olympic eligibility, one has to participate at least 3 times at Davis Cup (one during 2019-2020) during Olympic 4-year cycle. Kei has participated only once up to now, hence it is quasi-MUST to play (another one could be filled by petition due to injury). Kei shall get the Protected Ranking (should be PR=10) if he does not play until the week before March 2nd (6-month no play due to injury). He can participate Tokyo Olympic with PR, even if his ranking on June 8th (immediately after Roland Garros) is out ouf Olympic Direct Acceptance 56.

For ATP, we hope Kei will play at IW (already DA is announced and Kei is in the 18th) and Miami. For Clay season, it is already announced that he will participate at Monte Carlo and Barcelona. It should be followed by Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros.
Thank you for this information. I was worried he might not get to qualify for Olympics which would be ultra dumb as he is the poster child for the hosting nation.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

Kei has never won a Masters 1000 event in his all life and won't do it in IW. One match win would already be nice to come back. The guy has not played since the US Open which is a long time.

·
54,866 Posts
Kei has never won a Masters 1000 event in his all life and won't to it in IW. One match win would already be nice to come back. The guy has not played since the US Open which is a long time.
he was playing Challengers when he came back in 2018. I don't expect much from him at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts