Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Francisco Roige--the other coach who is always there. Actually Roige is almost never talked about, though he is the one who is with Rafa, always.

Moya rejoins for the USO.
Personally, i feel better when Moya is there.
Thanks.

Me too. It seems strange that he isn't.

·
|
14,300 Posts
Its probably never mattered which coach was present, as Nadal won some hardcourt masters titles with Francisco Roig and nobody else in the box.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Thanks.

Me too. It seems strange that he isn't.
well I can understand not wanting to be a fulltime, around the clock and around the globe coach. Most of the former stars don't want that deal, they want to show up at the big events only.
Though Wimb is big.

I somehow imagine Moya keeps Rafa from slipping into old habits, like playing too defensively, etc.
I also think MOya had insights into other players that Toni and Roig perhaps lacked.
Things def changed once Moya got on board.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I get wanting to spending time with your family. Its only 2 weeks because Rafa didnt play before Wimby.
And while Moya isnt the best grass coach out there there are other aspects of Rafa game that needs correction, but Roig is there.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
well I can understand not wanting to be a fulltime, around the clock and around the globe coach. Most of the former stars don't want that deal, they want to show up at the big events only.
Though Wimb is big.

I somehow imagine Moya keeps Rafa from slipping into old habits, like playing too defensively, etc.
I also think MOya had insights into other players that Toni and Roig perhaps lacked.
Yeah, even Toni didn't travel fulltime, he was always there for slams though, that's the only difference really. I like Moya around too, he's quite a calming presence I think.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I guess Charlie never liked Wimbledon all that much.
Yes, outright skipped it himself (a few times IINM). Seeing things from the outside as a coach could still be thing of its own. But I guess a little holiday for the coach isn't bad either. Whatever arrangement gets the best out of people.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Though Wimb is big.

I think you are right. Rafa definitely started playing more aggressively after the arrival of Moya, including using a bigger serve. He was an excellent addition to the team.

·
|
14,300 Posts
I think you are right. Rafa definitely started playing more aggressively after the arrival of Moya, including using a bigger serve. He was an excellent addition to the team.
I agree, in Nadal's 3rd Round match he averaged 97mph 2nd Serve, whereas he average 90mph 2nd Serve at 2010 Wimbledon.
Then again, 2010 was the year Nadal served bigger than ever at the US Open, but I only recall his 1st Serve speeds being high, not sure of his 2nd Serve speeds.
And there is a saying in tennis "You're only as good as your 2nd Serve".
Nadal's 3rd Round featured an enormous number of down-the-line forehands, and that's something I'd be interested to compare with 2008/2010 Wimbledon.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Rafa was stuck in a bad place before Moya. He was a game changer.

Also wanted to say, love your name! First heard Piaf sing that song decades ago, and i still love it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It is clear its part of the deal. Rafa is family first so of course he is understanding. GOAT human being, no?

I have a lot of love for Moya. To be honest, I wish Moya had been on the team earlier. Maybe the slam count would be a bit different, but mainly, he brought a new side to Nadal's game. Nadal has always been an outrageous player on the net, had the ability to put in strong serves (US'10 showed this), and while Tio Toni coached a remarkably disciplinned and respectful athlete (not showing much emotion, never breaking rackets etc) who is respectful of opponents, I believe he went too far in the 'humble champion' direction.

Its one thing I actually like about Federer. He knows he's an all time great and feeds off that confidence. Nadal I feel refuses to acknowledge that, and sometimes unndersels himself. Moya has helped him overcome that a bit, and bring out a more offensive side to his game. The serve and consistency of the backhand have been big improvements under Moya.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Rafa was stuck in a bad place before Moya. He was a game changer.

Also wanted to say, love your name! First heard Piaf sing that song decades ago, and i still love it.
Yes, I was desperate for him to bring in someone new as the other 3 in the Big Four have done. Moya has clearly brought a new perspective on Nadal's game but at he same time, as someone already close to Rafa and his team would have started from a position of trust and would have been very familiar with Rafa's game, his strengths and weaknesses and the way he likes to work. As a result he was able to make some changes but with rocking the boat too much by trying to totally re-invent Rafa's game, as a total outsider might have waned to do.

Thanks. :) It sends a chill down my spine every time I hear it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts