Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
He's coaching one of the young Chinese players, can't remember which one. Google search might help you find her name.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
At least he is vRich now.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
A Chinese American, Chang plans to still be involved in tennis. After his retirement, he'll join with his older brother and coach, Carl, to mentor Asian youths in the sport. And he says he'd also like to do short-term missions work in China and other Asian countries, where he's an even bigger star than in the U.S. "I also see myself getting married and starting a family, and settling down a bit," Chang writes in his book, Holding Serve: Persevering On and Off the Court.

He is especially excited about having more time to devote to the Chang Family Foundation (CFF), a Christian outreach organization. Established in 1999, the foundation uses the acronym CHANG for its vision: "Christ Honored And introduced to the Next Generation."

CFF's local community and international programs include youth tennis camps, evangelistic events, and a scholarship program. Launched in January 2002, the Foundation's Christian Sports League (CSL) was started as a vehicle for churches and organizations to do outreach using sports. Chang says CSL's mission is to use sports as an avenue for people to hear, see, and experience the Christian faith.

Eugene Kim, a tennis pro at the Mercer Island Country Club (near Chang's suburban Seattle home), says he began exploring Christianity and attending church after Michael and Carl Chang invited him to help with their tennis camp in Taiwan.

"People will forget great matches. But when you're able to touch their lives, that stays with them."

"Michael is one of the reasons why I'm a Christian today," says Kim, 37. "Michael was vital in putting me in a Christian environment that helped me realize that I was missing something from my life."

An evangelist at heart, Chang says he's also thinking of taking some seminary classes. "Who knows? Maybe being a pastor or evangelist is something down the line for me," he reveals.

"Ministry doesn't really change. It just won't be out there on the court. My purpose won't change. I'll
still want to impact lives. That's God's calling for each Christian regardless of where they are."
Chang's pastor, Wayne Ogimachi of Lighthouse Christian Church in Seattle, told Christian Reader that Chang has been instrumental in the faith journey of several people who have become Christians through their church.

"Although Michael is a soft-spoken, often introverted person, he could be very effective as a pastor or evangelist if God called him," says Ogimachi. "People respond to his humility, devotion, and integrity."

Since his book came out last summer, Chang says he has been accepting more and more speaking engagements at churches. "I still get a little bit nervous speaking before people," he says. "I'm comfortable playing in front of 15,000 people in tennis, but speaking in front of 1,500 at church is a little different. But I enjoy talking with people—young people particularly."
Chang adds: "I like to tell them things that are of great importance to me: faith, family, people, and priorities."
He is reported to have entered into discussions to coach Peng Shuai (or is it Shuai Peng) but I don't know if anything came of that.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
He is reported to have entered into discussions to coach Peng Shuai (or is it Shuai Peng) but I don't know if anything came of that.
Michael is coaching Peng Shuai. Peng is the surname and for Chinese, surname comes before given names.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Michael is coaching Peng Shuai. Peng is the surname and for Chinese, surname comes before given names.
I see, thanks. In the western media though, I guess the correct way to say it is Shuai Peng so that everyone understands that Shuai is her first name? I have had some Asian colleagues over the year, and they were all called by the name which came first.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I see, thanks. In the western media though, I guess the correct way to say it is Shuai Peng so that everyone understands that Shuai is her first name? I have had some Asian colleagues over the year, and they were all called by the name which came first.
That's true but with more understanding these days, many Chinese are addressed with their surname first especially if using their Chinese name. e.g. Yao Ming in NBA, Yao is his surname.

For Michael Chang, Michael is his western name. His Chinese name is something like Chang Tak Pu.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
For Michael Chang, Michael is his western name. His Chinese name is something like Chang Tak Pu.
So Tak Pu beat Lendl at the RG final? That sounds even more impressive! What about Hyung Taik Lee? Isn't that how he is addressed? Although he is not from the Mainland so maybe different

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Should be Tak Pu beat Ivan :angel:

Korean is similar to Chinese so he should be Lee Hyung Taik. Same for Japanese. ;)

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Michael Chang is still on tour in the reincarnated body of David Ferrer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts