Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To go out there and just absolutely toy with someone who was completely dominating the tour up until that point is simply unreal. At one point I was laughing out loud because the winners he kept hitting were more than ridiculous. Am I falling into a trap of recent bias and does anything compare? I found it even more impressive than what Del Potro did, for instance.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
To go out there and just absolutely toy with someone who was completely dominating the tour up until that point is simply unreal. At one point I was laughing out loud because the winners he kept hitting were more than ridiculous. Am I falling into a trap of recent bias and does anything compare? I found it even more impressive than what Del Potro did, for instance.
I agree, this was some tournament he had. Just absolutely toyed with Novak and laughed off the #2 guy and GOAT (and a couple of frenchmen along the way). This was a performance for the ages.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
One of the all time greats.

Destroying a guy who was dominating the first part of the season like nobody ever before. And Novak wasn't play bad. He was simply destroyed.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
It's really up there.

Some of those winners DTL to break and close the match were unreal considering who he was playing at the form he was in.

And it was pretty decisive, no TB's, choking games, routine 6-3 6-4 sets.

·
Your visions will happen
48,533 Posts
Pretty impressive to beat Federer Tsonga and Djokovic in a row yes

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
The level of shotmaking and consistent force of groundstrokes, on both sides, is GOATlike IMO.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Have to go back and re-watch Safin, etc, tbh (and Soderling vs Nadal). Del Potro wasn't a patch on this though.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Poetic karmic justice for AO 2014 for Nadal fans. Just like AO 2012 to FO 2013.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Absolute bow down on my toes for Magnus Norman, last time I've seen something like that was RG 2009 Soderling, his fh this year is so brutal and powerful and bh is just a beauty. His service motion is cool for me and although he's sometimes in very low numbers, when it works he's so strong on serve too. Just bravo for this tournament for Stan and Magnus for the work.

Edit: For you all who call him Pigwrinka-he looked more fresh than Djokovic or Murray on Friday, not so bad.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have to go back and re-watch Safin, etc, tbh (and Soderling vs Nadal). Del Potro wasn't a patch on this though.
Good call, AO 2005 SF has always been the greatest match of all time for me. But it's just a completely different dynamic with two offensive players, hard to compare.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Never saw something like this, not even Fedal ever hit with such SUPER power like this with both forehand and backhand.

He would have beat everyone today from the past and 50-50 match with 2008 Claydal and Peak Fed.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Never saw something like this, not even Fedal ever hit with such SUPER power like this with both forehand and backhand.

He would have beat everyone today from the past and 50-50 match with 2008 Claydal and [B[Peak Fed.[/B]
No chance vs Peak Fed.
Peak Fed had variety unlike Djokovic.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Couldn't stop laughing throughout that third set. Just incredible hitting. Unbelievable to think that someone wearing pyjamas could toy with a player who has looked unbeatable all year. Djokovic just looked helpless and even all the confidence he has built up throughout the clay season couldn't prevent him from becoming exasperated.

Right now it's better than Delpo's USO since I think Federer's stubbornness played into his hands. I'll have to look at it again in the cold light of day.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Very very high, but Nadal at his best is more explosive off the mark than Djokovic and more resourceful in defence, and probably beats Wawrinka.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think Wawrinka's title today (talking about the final alone) is as good as anything Nadal ever won in Philip Chartrier. Completely different playing styles, yet superb tennis, and total domination of the adversary.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wawrinka's 2015 wasn't even that great, I never thought he'd win the French Open. Destroying Federer, Tsonga & Djokovic was just impressive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts