• Outside top 20

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sitting here, gutted that Fed lost, but can't help but think that may have been the 3rd best match I have ever seen, behind Fed-Nadal in 2008 at Wimby, and 2012 Australian Open between Djoker-Nadal. The storylines, the twists, the epic play, and some of the shots I saw were just unbelievable. I genuinely think Federer can still grab another major, and am just so excited I was able to watch that match. Where do you guys think that match falls in terms of history?

EDIT: One think, I've only seriously followed tennis since 2007, so my memory banks aren't super strong in terms of overall history. And I have it just ahead of 2009 simply because of the quality of the points, and the backstory that this could have been Roger's last stand. The Roddick-Federer match was incredible, but the points were not quite as amazing, no breaks, etc. Both incredible matches :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
In history? Considering all slams and even other tournaments? Maybe Top 10, likely Top 20.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Better than 2010,2011,2012,2013 for sure. Worse than 2009 and 2008.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Top 10 in Wimby history. 2008, 2009 were better recently. Andy's 2013 was historic but wasn't amazing play so I don't count that one, but going back further Ivanisevic-Rafter and others in the 80s were better so definitely top 10, maybe top 5 No way top 3.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
in the HISTORY of grand slams finals?

outside top 20 for sure. it was dramatic so that is why people are getting so excited or whatever but quality wise there are many better from all decades of the Open Era

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Legendary final, one for the ages.. I will never forget this final and how Roger fought like a lion till the very end..

For me it's the best ever.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
If Federer had won, it would probably be touted as the best final ever.

Because Djokovic won and silenced the crowd, it will just be top 10 or top 20. Never in fucking doubt.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Outside of top20. If Federer had a better forehand or backhand, this game would be over in 3. Federer from 2004-2009 would win this in 2.
this! Roger made so many errors off the baseline. he is terribly inconsistent now and that's why he essentially is only winning sets off of his serve

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
In terms of quality, top 20.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Drama, suspense, thriller, comedy, tragedy.

It will go down in the history as Dr. Chokovic, the great story-teller, writing the script throughout.

Let's get real. If Rafa or Andy had been on the other side of the net other than the old man, Dr. Chokovic would have been sent packing to Somalia. :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts