Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys think Djokovic now ranks among the all-time greats purely as a hard-court player?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'll tell you when he's retired.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
he'll pass Agassi with one more hardcourt Slam
He really should be the second best hardcourter of all time already but he's choked away so many US Opens. Could have won the AO this year too if he didn't choke away those last two points against Wawrinka. And could have won 2 more AO's in 2009-2010 if he wasn't Glutenovic.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
According to achievements experts will rate him but according to peak level of play I rate him second in their era behind Federer.

Currently he has 5 hard court slams and around 15 masters after so much ruthless choking throughout the career.

He'll end career with 8 hard court slam and 20 masters and 4-5 WTFS which will be great.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
McEnroe is behind Djokovic, surely. Four slams and seven masters-equivalents, 22 titles. Unless of course you include carpet. That's where McEnroe was at his best.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because no hard court AO during his prime and the amount of WCT Dallas wins he has, which were basically the second hard court slam during the 70s and 80s. AO only started being hard court in 1988.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because no hard court AO during his prime and the amount of WCT Dallas wins he has, which were basically the second hard court slam during the 70s and 80s. AO only started being hard court in 1988.
WCT Dallas was played on carpet. If you include carpet then I agree with you.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
WCT Dallas was played on carpet. If you include carpet then I agree with you.
Well hard courts really run the gamut of different playing surfaces from slow outside high-bouncing to fast indoor low-bouncing so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include carpet in the best hard-courter debate. I think if we eliminate carpet from that debate then we might as well eliminate indoor altogether, because it's an entirely different game indoor. Nadal hasn't done nearly anything of note on indoor compared to outdoor and he would still be considered among hard court elite. It's tough to rationalize anything because of how drastically different the eras are. This is why I like to give a lot of leeway when it comes to these things otherwise you start ignoring some great players at their best. Even Connors was "unlucky" in that only 3 of his US Opens were on hard, and then you have the Lavers and Rosewalls...

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Top 5, but don't forget that he is 1-4 at the Us Open finals..

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Lets see:

He has won 5 hardcourts slams. Federer won 9 hc slams, Sampras won 7 and Agassi won 6. So below Federer, Sampras and Agassi.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
He's not even halfway through his career, the others are all finished!
Not even half way? He's played regularly on the tour since 2005. If he's less than half way through then he'll play at least until 2025. A bit of a streatch there.

And Federer is not finished yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts