Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Nothing will ever beat 2011, 2006 or 1969

Votes: 13 21.3%
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, we all know the top 3 greatest seasons of all time. Laver 1969, Djoko 2011 and Fed 2006. The numbers for those years are just ridiculous, whether you like them or not. Just crazy stuff :worship:

Then you have years like 2004, 2005, 2007 for Fed, 84 for Johnny Mac and 74 for Connors. Just wonderful years :worship:

Where do you think Novak 2015 ranks? He has already achieved a lot of records, including being the first man to win the first 3 masters titles :) But I have heard a lot of people say it's already better than 2011 for him which I think is ludicrous. He won 3 slams, 5 masters and had that ridiculous winning streak. By the time the U.S. Open had finished he had only lost 2 matches, one due to injury :eek: I don't think we can put it there yet.

But what do you guys think? Cheers :cool:

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
59 Posts
Too early to say. If, for example, he wins US Open, two more Masters titles and WTF, then his 2015 season is obviously better than his 2011 season, and also better than Federer's 2006 season because of the 6 Masters 1000 titles won. If he plays in the US Open Final, then it still has the potential to be one of the TOP10 seasons ever, because of the 4 GS finals in the same year, if he wins 1 or 2 more Masters titles and WTF.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing will top 2011 because that was the fiercest competiton the game had ever seen and Djokovic took it to them. Nadal was at his peak coming off an amazing 2010 that he would've eclipsed in 2011 had Djokovic not singlehandedly stopped him. Federer was only 29. Murray played great. Tsonga, Berdych and Ferrer all played excellent and not to mention someone like Delpo and the rest. The competiton was just incredible.
Nadal was definitely peak in 2011. 2010 he vultures off the worst competition ever, and couldn't even manage a year close to Djok 2011 or Fed 2006. Nadals best season is still not in the top 10 seasons ever. The competition was just too abysmal and he didn't do anything special. 2008 was actually better in terms of his level of play, but still not good enough to be a top 10 season IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nadal was definitely peak in 2011. 2010 he vultures off the worst competition ever, and couldn't even manage a year close to Djok 2011 or Fed 2006. Nadals best season is still not in the top 10 seasons ever. The competition was just too abysmal and he didn't do anything special.
You are too biased. Of course he did something special. The only man in the history of tennis to win 3 GS titles on 3 different surfaces in the same year. The only man after Laver to win 3 GS titles in a row in the same year. Nothing special :rolleyes: And I am not even his fan

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If Novak wins USO 2 more masters and WTF then it's definitely the greatest season ever behind Laver 69.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It's too early to tell, but in terms of level Djokovic was definitely better in 2011.

·
6,473 Posts
Depends, if sweeps the USO Series it will be better than 2011, and close to the best season ever.
If not, it will be one of the best 2 Slam seasons ever, better than Nadal in 2013, but not as good as Mac in 1984 . (Mac was 82-3, in the days when it was really still a 3 Slam year -ie did not compete at the AO).
Will be good to revisit this thread after the USO, which Djoker should be primed to finally snare his 2nd title there.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If Novak wins USO 2 more masters and WTF then it's definitely the greatest season ever behind Laver 69.
Here is how I would rank season if the that were to happen

1 Laver 1969
2 Djokovic 2015
3 Federer 2006
4 Djokovic 2011
5 McEnroe 1984

Reactions: JoWilly

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends, if sweeps the USO Series it will be better than 2011, and close to the best season ever.
If not, it will be one of the best 2 Slam seasons ever, better than Nadal in 2013, but not as good as Mac in 1984 . (Mac was 82-3, in the days when it was really still a 3 Slam year -ie did not compete at the AO).
Will be good to revisit this thread after the USO, which Djoker should be primed to finally snare his 2nd title there.
Nadal 2013 is not one of the best 2 slam seasons ever. Getting his ass kicked in the first round of Wimbledon by a journeyman saw to that. His fans overrate it so much. ITF even awarded Djoko player of the year!!!

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
It will basically be determined at the US Open. If he doesn't win that but still performs at about the level expected for the rest of the year it will be one of the best 2 slam seasons, if he does win it then it will have a shot at being one of the best seasons ever.

2011 was probably even more impressive at this point with his winning streak and only a single loss, as well as the sense that the competition was stronger. But even though he has a couple more losses at smaller events, reaching the French Open final means he is slightly ahead of 2011 in terms of points picked up, and even if he does not match his 2011 results at Montreal and Cincinnati (Win, Final), as long as he does win the US Open he will have a huge chance to do better in terms of pure results.

The real damage can be done in the post US Open part of the season, where in 2011 he had a terrible 6-4 W-L record (with another walkover given in the QF of Paris). Experience and perhaps better scheduling seems to have allowed him to better maintain his fitness through to the end of the season even when winning a lot of tournaments. Compare his W-L record in 2011 to the years afterwards:

2011: 6-4
2012: 15-1
2013: 24-0
2014: 17-1

2011 will probably be remembered as his most impressive level, but if he wins the US Open and gets anywhere near the numbers of his post-2011 Asian and Indoor swings then we are looking at a season with even better results, and so it would rightly be in the conversation for greatest season ever.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In terms of level of play it's his third best behind 2013 and 2009.
Haha :worship:

I think you forgot 2010, that was his best ever :sad:

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Depends on how he does at the USO. If he wins it then I think this season will top 2011 in terms of results

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If Novak wins the USO and at least 2 more Masters (and/or WTF) then it will be the best season ever in terms of results. 2 more Masters should be very doable, but winning the USO will be the real test.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Too early to tell. I really want him to win the US Open. It's loonnnng overdue. Serena will be the top story there so he can kind of float under the radar, unlike the French Open, and not have too much pressure. Plus the Wimbledon win should give him the confidence needed to "go in" in NY.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
@Joewilly if Nadal had done the calendar grandslam youd still find an excuse not to give him any credit.

2008 he wins FRENCH OPEN GIVING ANIHILATING FEDERER. HE WINS WIMBLEDON STOPPING FEDERER FROM HAVING 7 WIMBLEDONS IN A ROW. HE WINS OLYMPIC GOLD. THE DAVIS CUP. BECOMES WORLD NUMBER ONE. And thats not one of the best seasons EVER? Man youre something else.

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think 2015 will turn into Djokovic's best season, and will end up in the top 3 seasons of all time.

Until now this year, 2015 is almost equal to 2011: 2 slams and 4 masters. (he lost 2 more matches this year, and didnt win Dubai, but this is not significant IMHO).

He has to win the US Open and 1 more masters to equal 2011. This seems very possible.

In fact, if he does win US Open, I think he will surpass 2011, since he is going to win more than just 1 masters. There are 4 left, he is very likely to win 2 of those. Also in 2011, he lost in round robin in WTF, this year he is certain to reach the final.

This is all because I think Novak is still fresh this year. In 2011, he was tired mentally and emotionally (mainly due to the consecutive 43-win streak), so he faded after US Open. Thankfully he did not have that streak this year. He is much more fresher physically and mentally this year, and will be much more balanced than 2011.

So in numbers 2015 will be a greater year than 2011.

But still 2011 has something going for it. It was a breakthrough year for Novak. Novak was a perennial #3 operating under the shadows of Roger and Rafa at the beginning of that year. He broke through that year to #1, and won 7 finals against a well-playing Rafa. He won almost all of his matches against Roger as well (I think he just lost 1). He dominated everybody else earning a lot of bagels and breadsticks. I think he was also playing a bit better than this year. This year, Rafa and Roger are not as big a force as they were in 2011. Rafa had just won 3 slams in the previous year 2010.

So in quantitative terms, 2015 with go beyond 2011, but in qualitative terms, 2011 would still be bigger.

Both will be the best seasons ever in tennis ranking alongside Fed 2006 and Laver 1969. Though I think 2011 was a bigger year than 2006 (Fed was already dominating before the year), and 1969 (weak competition).

Reactions: JoWilly and RuRo

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I can't ignore Djokovic facing two match points against Federer's serve in the 2011 US Open SF, nor can I ignore him collapsing after the US Open and being eliminated in the RR stage of the WTF after going 1-2.

It was the strongest start to a season ever but it fizzled a little after the half way point.

Laver 69, followed by a tossup Federer 06/McEnroe 84 (McEnroe skipped the AO, but that was quite common back then because it wasn't considered that prestigious).

If Djokovic wins the US Open and the WTF, he's about equal with Federer's 06 season, although losing to Wawrinka at RG seems worse than losing to Nadal. Then the tiebreak will come down to whether he wins any more masters titles. If he wins 1 more, he'd get the edge, although Federer skipped 2.

Reactions: RocketMan70
1 - 20 of 140 Posts